Broken Down, Bugger!!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Griff1977

Re: Broken Down, Bugger!!!!!

Post by Griff1977 »

Right this is where we are! The bloke didn't look at the bike straight away hence why it's taken a few days. He found that the vacuum pipe was off the fuel tap on bottom of the tank! I didn't notice this on my inspection, so he put it back on, starts now (as its actually getting fuel!) but....

He says there is a knocking sound from the top of rear cylinder!!!! Howdy?? The bike has been sweet up till now, and now 2 supposed unrelated issues? So he took the top crank cover off rear cylinder (I was working away this week so when he said about the noise I asked him to have a quick investigation) then later today I was able to go see. The crank cover was still off so I'll pick it up tomorrow to hear this noise.....

He says it doesn't sound right. He wasn't sure about the CCTs (Krieger manuals) - no reason! and said best to put originals back in (I disagree!). Nothing obvious with crank cover off. All tight and tidy.

So, I am intrigued to hear this knocking. The CCTs are set ok. No obvious damage. I'm annoyed. Wierd.

This guy doesn't charge much and I will find out how much time he's spent on bike tomorrow!

Thanks for great replys.

Griff :crazy:
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

The knocking is the sound of the ferking great pistons zooming up and down at a great rate of knots :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope its nothing serious
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You mean Rocker cover/Cam cover, not crank. The crank is down the bottom in your sump. Dont let him put auto ccts in. If you have manuals they may just need re-adjusting.
The knocking is the sound of the ferking great pistons zooming up and down at a great rate of knots
Could be, but that's more of a popping sound than a knocking sound. To be more precise they sound like a fish. If you make a fish sound with your lips, that's what they sound like.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

cybercarl wrote:You mean Rocker cover/Cam cover, not crank. The crank is down the bottom in your sump. Dont let him put auto ccts in. If you have manuals they may just need re-adjusting.
The knocking is the sound of the ferking great pistons zooming up and down at a great rate of knots
Could be, but that's more of a popping sound than a knocking sound. To be more precise they sound like a fish. If you make a fish sound with your lips, that's what they sound like.
What the ferkin hell have you been on Carl? "they sound like Fish!" How do they sound like the lead singer from Marillion? Nothing like Kayleigh. :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well you know that sound kids make when doing an impression of a fish, with your lips rounded and opening and closing. Pop pop pop. :wink: listen carefully to you engine and you will hear it. Tony will know what I'm talking about, his ears are tuned into these sort of things.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, and that sound is when one of the pipes leading to the airbox isn't connected properly.
There are two sets of pipes going into the airbox from beneath, one are the carb breathers, short stubby ones that poke up vertically. Fit the pipe onto the carb( it is able ti turn so you can get it lined up) and drop the airbox down onto them when fitting it.
The other two are the cranked black tubes that come off the top of the cam covers and connect into the airbox front and rear.
The one form the front cylinder is a mare to fit; you can't see it.
But you can (just about) get a hand to it from underneath, and if you have small hands you can also reach round to touch it from the front, going in round the round frame bar.
There is a spring clip that holds them in place.

Stop the bloke digging further, he's finding things that aren't there.

Most of the engine noise with these is clutch which is of no concern.
It goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

If a tech isn't very experienced with these bikes they often comment on the engine noise, as had been correctly said there's a lot going on inside!

If it's now running get it back and see how it's running.
Don'y let him fit standard CCT's- that's a dead giveaway that he doesn't know about these bikes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Griff,
get yourself to my house for tomorrows workshop day, we will break it for you
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cybercarl wrote:Well you know that sound kids make when doing an impression of a fish, with your lips rounded and opening and closing. Pop pop pop. :wink: listen carefully to you engine and you will hear it. Tony will know what I'm talking about, his ears are tuned into these sort of things.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm with Kev on this :wtf: have you got in your ciggies?

:Fish1: :Fish:

:Whistle: nope, still no fish sound. Maybe Griff's got a cod in his pike
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Maybe this will help then.....

And there is no Roach in my ciggies :)

Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Right. I wasnt getting a good feel from the mech.

Because I've been away I haven't been able to meet him or see / hear the bike for myself. So I went to see him last night and he had the cam cover off (not crank case!!!).

He was investigating the knocking noise! All looked good.

Anyway, all put back together and I saw him this afternoon. Bike runs but now only runs on 1 cylinder (front) - sounds awful! Wasn't doing this before vacuum pipe came off!

He started saying lots of things suggesting mech/elec probs- he's even checked price of new VTR engine! I'm getting feeling he's thinking I was born yesterday. He charged me for recovery plus 1.5hrs work (£70 total). I just wanted to take bike back, so rode it home.

It runs like poo! As expected on one cylinder! The other cylinder kicks in now and again-which is the odd knock!

I dropped into a nice bike shop nearer to home and as soon as I fired it up he said its just electrical, maybe a plug!

It's in my garage in a safe (not costing me) place!

Oh, as a diagnosis I took HT lead off front (easiest) and it won't run- confirming its rear cylinder at mo- plug or coil?

Ooooooo. Bugger!

Thanks for all support so far. Only 2 rides ago it was sweet! I'll get it back running but need a deep breath!

Would love to nurse it to the workshop day!

Where are you Al?

Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Solihull
B94 6qq

Only 12 houses on the street, you will know which one is mine cause there will be a load of firestorms on the drive :D
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Griff1977 wrote:
I dropped into a nice bike shop nearer to home and as soon as I fired it up he said its just electrical, maybe a plug!

It's in my garage in a safe (not costing me) place!

Oh, as a diagnosis I took HT lead off front (easiest) and it won't run- confirming its rear cylinder at mo- plug or coil?

Griff.
Next, swap plugs front to rear and see if the problem swaps or stays on the same cylinder.
If it swaps, it's the plug.

But assuming not, take the coils off both and swap them over. same routine. If the lead won't reach in the correct mounting bolt, bolt them anywhere temporarily, as long as it's a good contact to frame, or make up a fling lead and bolt that to the coil and to the frame somewhere.

That tells you if it's the coil.

If it's not that, check to see if you can see a spark- keep the plug outer contacting the frame or engine.
If there's a good spark, get a compression test.

If there's not a spark, try a different but known good ecu/igniter module.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Griff have you got a plug spanner. There should be one in the honda toolkit if you have one under the seat. Take the lead of the rear cylinder and remove the plug. Stick the plug back in the end of the HT lead and hold it by the rubber bit (don't electrocute yourself) and put the tip of the plug on the cylinder head/cam cover, turn the bike over and see if you have a spark.

It could be something silly like the HT lead is not seated properly on the end of the plug. Did the guy put it back on properly. Check to see the lead is fully seated on the plug. you should hear and feel it click into place.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Used to get my storm serviced by Bob, police motorbike mechanic at Queens Gardens cop shop, sunny 'ull
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Al-I would love to come over. It's 2hrs 40 from mine- don't fancy it on just 1 cylinder- have a coffee & biscuit on me!
Tony-ta Tony. I've scanned my Haynes but your description is more user friendly! Thanks might be helpful over next few days!
Carl-I haven't got a spark plug wrench but plan to pop to Halfords if they have one - I believe it's 18mm(12mm socket) - can you suggest one? I realise it needs to be thin & long, oo err. Otherwise I see one on eBay for £6.
Gavin-ta, is Bob still there? You can't beat a recommendation for trusting someone! Found cop shop on google maps.

Fingers crossed. Wonder if I have done any damage riding it on one cylinder for 10 miles? It was coughing & back firing a bit- and revving it's self at lights! First 800rpm then 2000! Not all time but randomly. I guess that's the bad cylinder kicking in briefly?

Griff.