CCT problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Matthew

CCT problems

Post by Matthew »

I have just checked former postings for info on CCT's because my front CCT went at 16,000 miles and the bike is now under inspection downstairs in my home garage.

The CCT spring failed, as seems to be common between 12,000 to 20,000 miles. Since the replacement honda CCT only costs £26.00 its a pity there is no recommendation in the servicing books. It is a 5 minute task to change them whilst checking valve clearances.

To put the record straight, the CCT spring itself does not exert pressure on plunger (cam chain). i.e it is not a heavy gauge compression type spring. The spring is a light gauge helix to wind out a kind of jacking screw to take up slack in the chain. The spring simply stops the plunger screwing itself back outwards, which is what happens when the spring breaks.

There was one hell of a clattering noise and lack of power after letting the engine idle one cold morning. After removing the valve cover, the cam chain could be seen to jump over the exhaust camshaft whilst manuallly rotating the engine. The first step was to remove cam shafts because valve timing was so far adrift and the chain jambed onto the upper chain guide.

Tomorrow I'll fit a new CCT and test the top end for compression. I am keeping fingers crossed as the valve clearances were found spot on.
Could I be lucky?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Tomorrow has passed and, was I lucky !

After fitting the new CCT today the engine cranked over with no odd sounds, the compression test passed, and the engine ran perfectly when the plugs and tank was fitted. In fact it sounds better than ever. I cannot believe why there was no damage.

So I strongly recommend you all to change CCT's BEFORE 15,000 miles. At 26 quid a time, plus VAT, it is well worth the peace of mind. And, even though I had removed a lot of bits to gain access to the cam shafts, I think the CCT's could be replaced with no more than lifting the petrol tank.

Needless to say I am replacing the non broken CCT also,
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

where did you buy your cct for £26 please

Del.
Syntec4

Post by Syntec4 »

I dont know where Mathew got his from, but David Silver does them for £26 if that helps.

Lee.
haveyouseenmyeviltwin

help!!

Post by haveyouseenmyeviltwin »

i really need a hand.....everyone is saying about the cct's on the firestorm.i am only 20 and its my first big bike,i was just wondering(if it doesnt make any sound too stupid)what exactly does it sound like?as mine has a slight "funny" noise coming from the front cylinder.any help would be greatly recieved,cheers rob
have you seen my evil twin?
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you let it tick over, you may hear what sounds like (and is) the cam chain slapping around inside the engine casing. Pick the revs up and it will stop. Back off the throttle and it will rattle alot more. It generally sounds worse when the engine is on the over run as you're slowing down, usually 2-3500rpm i find.
If you think it's going get someone who knows what they're doing to take out the CCT and check it. I've had three fail now. The first one left the exhaust valves looking like a banana and would've cost £500 if it wasn't for a warranty! Better safe etc. If you're not under a warranty then a garage should be able to replace them for £90ish inc parts and labour.
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
haveyouseenmyeviltwin

Post by haveyouseenmyeviltwin »

thanks very much will bear all that in mind.
have you seen my evil twin?