Decent MPG on a 'Storm!

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Re: Decent MPG on a 'Storm!

Post by tony.mon »

Will you all stop this silliness?

If you're worried about fuel consumption, sorry- you bought the wrong bike.

Fill it up and ride it or sell it and buy something frugal.

Your 1000cc bike won't give the same economy as a 125, whatever you do.
So stop wasting your time trying to make it something it isn't, or whinging about it.

If someone posted complaining that their Storm won't go off-road as well as a Tenere or KTM Dakar Special, you'd just laugh at them, or if they were trying to compete in trials, wouldn't you?

Love it for what it is.

(I feel better for that, but need to go and lie down) :beer:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have got a very valid point there. :lol: It does make me wonder though, why some of us get more (quite a bit more) mpg than others. Is it just a case of different riding styles, and some us wait to the light comes on and fill up. Others run it low on reserve and fill up. So if I started running on reserve. Riding by the book, keeping speed limits etc. How many miles approx would the extra 3L take me?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Only one way to find out.
Strap a spare gallon on the back and go for a long and boring ride.

What difference does it make?
You've still got to put some in when there's not much left.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Sorry Tony, didn't mean to drive you to beer. :biggrin

I was just a bit curious about the various fuel consumption figures, and in the case of Carl's bike, concerned for the environment!

I'm using my bike for the work commute as well as a weekend plaything, so quite willing to see just what you can get out of a tank if ridden in a "sensible" style toddling to and from the office this week.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

when my fuel light comes on i fill up 8)
cant say how many mile i do to the light as my speedo is out :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Don't really care about fuel consumption, was just (pleasantly!) surprised. Means I fill up every 2 days when I though it would be every day. I like that!

Oh and it's got a K&N filter, Dynojet stage 3..............and stock cans! Didn't want to spend £300 quid for a new Blue Flame after dropping it so just chucked the standard ones back on. Seems to run fine, if a little quiet :silent:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Well my vaguely economical week of riding too and from work, with a couple of damp rides home in the evening, but some rather nice dry runs in in the morning (nothing too silly - honest) resulted in 110 miles and 13.5 litre fill up. So 37 MPG. Nothing astonishing either way.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

So I have a 14t front sprocket and a standard rear,

My light came on yesterday at 110 miles.....

Does the sprocket change mean I got more or less miles then the reading of 110?

Just curious :thumbup:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

well mine is quite contrary. i am lucky because i believe mine must be set up just right. my last tank but one was the 2nd worst consumption ive ever had , 102 miles. worst was 97. but the last tank i saw the light come on at 123.4 miles. wtf! i thought the bulb had gone. no difference in my riding style and some of that tank 2up and some at quite high speed ? i would say though that i dont rev the nuts off it cos i dont see the point
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

scott02464 wrote:So I have a 14t front sprocket and a standard rear,

Depends what the standard is - can't remember - not sure I ever knew!

If you have more teeth on the front than standard then the mileage will be under. If you have less teeth than standard, it will be over.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

tankslappa wrote:
scott02464 wrote:So I have a 14t front sprocket and a standard rear,

Depends what the standard is - can't remember - not sure I ever knew!

If you have more teeth on the front than standard then the mileage will be under. If you have less teeth than standard, it will be over.
Ok mate, so I'm getting less miles than 110 miles out of my tank.... Not much but I love riding it!

Standard rear sprocket is 41 t iirc
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Just filled up, and again 37MPG. Which is odd as this week included a belt round the M25, M11 and being chased by a Landrover Defender back round the M25 on Tuesday - I enjoyed that, it was a chuckle. Very impressed with the Defender's cornering, he actually came past me on the inside on the M11/M25 long sweeping slip road! Yes I did pass him again shortly afterwards ;-)

Anyway, what difference did doing 50 miles of spirited high speed riding make to my economy, errr, nothing. Nada!

So there's my baseline with standard cans, filter, jets etc etc.

It will be interesting to see what difference tweaking the TPS will make.

Don't worry Tony, this is all curiosity and that if I wanted economy I should have bought a Melody Love :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Even though you are doing higher speeds on motorways and logically you would think higher speeds = more fuel. But these bikes love the speed and fuel economy seems to improve. I find I use more fuel sitting/cruising in heavy traffic around town. Maybe it's all the blips on throttle filtering and letting cars no you are there, :confused

The TPS along with the mixture (fuel screw) I would think would only be noticeable and effect the idle and low end 1000-4000rpm cruise. What it is good at sorting out is any idle fluctuations. :thumbup: I adjusted mine alongside other things, so it will be interesting to see how it effects things without any other adjustments.

Have fun. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

BTW, and just out of curiosity, I've filled up today. So this tank is two trips to work, one back from work and the the trip to Grain Storm and then fighting the wind back...

Guess what... 37.9MPG!

I think it's safe to say my bike likes doing 37MPG, no matter what I do to it! I see it almost made it to 38MPG, I think that might be Duffy's old air filer (which was cleaner than mine) which he kindly gave to me in Grain when he put in his performance filter :biggrin

I actually saw 120miles on the trip, I must admit I was getting a little worried as the reserve had been on for 15 miles at that point, but still didn't get 15 litres into the tank.

I know I'm going to learn the hard way very shortly, I just hope that I'm up the top of a nice big hill when it happens!
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Whilst on tour in Scotland I got 138 to the tank once, RLOD at 120 and lots of very conservative riding with a mile or two of clutch in and coasting as well. Thought I was going to end up pushing! I think I got about 15l in her when a very oldy worldy petrol station appeared in the middle of no-where and saved my bacon. The bike has a K&N and open cans but has been set up well in the past so would hope that fueling is good, feels fit enough anyway. BTW IIRC storms shouldn't be towed with engine off, something about a bearing in the gear box needing a pressurised oil feed.