what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
tankslappa

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by tankslappa »

cybercarl wrote:TPS Throttle Position Sensor You will find on the right hand side rear carbs with a 3pin wiring block attached to it. It's held in place by security torx bits. You can measure the Ohms on the top two pins with the block disconnected and alter it by twisting. This retards and advances the ignition.

Here you go have read here http://superhawkforum.com/forums/knowle ... nsor-9876/
Ahhh, thanks! I know exactly what it does, I just didn't recognise the acronym.

I'm sure the current value should be checkable from somewhere else on the loom without having to remove the tank, airbox etc... It should all turn up on the ignition box behind the seat... Time to consult the wiring diagram!

*update* Yup, as expected, the TPS just connects directly to the ignition control module, so can be checked there too. I'll dig out the bigger diagram when I get back home so I can report on which colours.

Obviously you still have to pull the tank and airbox off if you want to move it :-)
beemer1957

Post by beemer1957 »

Done, Bugger all, still at sea waiting for one late relief boat, roll on Friday , home, Blue flames on , CCT's Brake lines. 28 days leave to ride. :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just got back form taking the bike for a good blast and she's running better than ever. iirc 5th gear, 80mph ish, 6-7 rpm she pulls so smooth. Seems to be a lot more punch in the midrange/top end. Bottom end, no more pull but a lot smoother and she idles perfectly. I shall have to wait to see what the fuel consumption is like :thumbup: So I am very happy for now. :biggrin

Mmm What can I tinker with next then. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you can tinker with my bike :lol:
took a ride over to tony mons, sorted out the rear brake. then we swapped bikes for 10 mins, i have to say tony's bike is very well sorted, and it showed me just how high my footpegs are :lol:
my steering is also very fast, i wonder if fitting my steering damper will stiffen up the super quick steering and make it a little less flighty.
i've also got to get me a gpi a very good piece of kit.
then i rode to leyton to see my mates no budget cup race bike, which got squashed by a pallet of soft drinks :roll:
it turns out it only got knocked over and did minimal damage, its just a shame they cancelled the no budget cup this year :(
my ride took in every type of road, from motorways to tiny country lanes, and even a couple of miles of filtering because of a broken down lorry on the a102 blackwall tunnel approach.....grrrrrr
lets hope that sun keeps shin :thumbup: ing
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

what's a gpi? Do you mean gps. :lol: Glad you brakes are all sorted now mate. :thumbup:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:what's a gpi? Do you mean gps. :lol: Glad you brakes are all sorted now mate. :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorcycle-ge ... 2570b2fdda
gear position indicator.............
the back brakes not perfect but its totally ridable..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Acumen dont do a harness for a storm ive learnt the hard way :cry: :cry: If you got one you have to chop your loom :wink:
Loud pipes save lives!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i can't remember which one tony has got, its the one with the built in volts meter, his one works fine :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

cybercarl wrote:what's a gpi? Do you mean gps. :lol: Glad you brakes are all sorted now mate. :thumbup:

This must be ask the acronym day!

Oh, do you know the colour of the top wires you check on the TPS? I'm checking the diagram and one side is connected to the engine temperature sensor, so that would confuse things if it's the one and I try to check it from the ignition module.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

This must be ask the acronym day!
Don't we know it. :lol:
I think the tps wires are as follows, top pin is green with black stripe and the middle is red with yellow. But when testing/setting I done it without the engine running and put my multimeter directly on the unit pins with the wires disconnected. :thumbup: TBH it is a lot easier with the carbs of the bike. If you do find a feed at the ICM the only use I can see is that it may make it easier to check while running if needs be.

playerone

Post by playerone »

rode it for 185ish miles :thumbup:
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Update for today... Swapped back to the standard regulator after the Yamaha one made the rev counter start twitching just as I went for the MoT.

And then emptied the tank of all that old fuel... By the best method, via the carbs! Muwahahaha...

I've made a discovery. my new dayglo "see me you blind tw@" over jacket has an interesting side effect... It makes me look like a policeman, especially at night! I've lost count of the number of lines of traffic I've come up behind that are doing limit -2mph... Oddly enough my mirrors are always free of anything close behind me too, just dots in the distance (or maybe that's just the crap 'storm mirrors?!).

Anyway, it's quite amusing. Almost as amusing as the expression on the drivers faces when I suddenly bolt on 20 mph and shoot past them. :biggrin
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I do wear an ex old bill biker (discontinued service) Gortex dayglo jacket. The only thing that is missing is the Blue strip that Says POLICE on the back. I could have SECIRITY or INSTRUCTOR instead but I think that's taking the piss and the fuzz may not appreciate that. The only downside is no armour. I also wear a white lid. :lol:

I find wearing it has it's pro's and cons, it does make people more aware of you (loud cans as well :lol: ) and sometimes it has it's disadvantages. The amount of times I'm in the outside lane and the car in front slows down. I don't know if they think there is a copper behind them or if they are just driving like a tw@ sometimes.

The best one is when riding in the centre lane when mr bmw/merc flys past going well over the speed limit on the outside, If safe to do so, I whip into the outside lane and give chase, they soon slow down and even change lane. :lol: Gives me the chance to have a little burst and open up the throttle. :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

I haven't found a Merc to harass yet Carl but I will look out for them!

My brother actually put strobes in the headlamps of his Landrover, that was hysterical... Superb way of shifting lane hoggers out of the way. They usually moved over and right onto the hard shoulder and then stopped before they twigged it wasn't really a copper!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

What have I done today?

Rode it to work! Woohoo! Didn't bother with the policeman hi-viz on the way, but might use it tonight.

Not often I actually want to go to work, but this morning I was actually awake early! Managed to use all the extra time I had doing the "why won't these things zip together?" dance round the kitchen. Those leathers have definitely shrunk.

First stop on the way home - petrol station... Now there's an old familiar routine!