what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Better luck for the MOT tomorrow then. :lol: At least you had a ride out. The guys I go to are old school. The only machine they have is a rolling road for the brakes. The lights are done against a board and measurements on the deck. And as far as emissions go, I have never seen them check anything.

TODAY
I swapped the main jets around so now I have the 178 in the front and the 175 in rear. I kept the Emulsion tubes the same way round. I'm not sure there is a difference between the two on standard ones. Decided to set the pilots/mixture at 2 turns, I shall see how I get on. Then I set my TPS from 848 to 439. Tried to get 430 (the magic number) but it so fiddly to get spot on.

Put it all on the bike, so I have the originals back on now. Warmed the bike up, played with the idle and synced the carbs. Syncing the carbs was fun, I ended up having to screw the bolt all the way in as far as it could go to get both cylinders running the same.

Went for a quick spin/test ride and it's OK but not perfect. I might have to undo the mixture to 2 and a bit or 2 and half turns. I might even whack a standard filter in until I get a jet kit. Even then I'm thinking about putting a BMC filter in.

Have Fun. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

cleaned the wheels and fitted some reflective rim tape .
noticed the rear tyre is getting low :roll: its only done 1300miles :confused
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

carl, according to canada mick, the best filter is the bmc road filter, not the race one. i think you have to get them from abroad, i can't recall seeing them sold in the uk.
oh and today i bought/collected a rear storm wheel which came with a spindle/srocket carrier and half decent bt010r tyre on it, not bad for £29
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... TQ:GB:1123
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

bigspanishmarty wrote:oh and today i bought/collected a rear storm wheel which came with a spindle/srocket carrier and half decent bt010r tyre on it, not bad for £29
Bloody hell mate, that's a bargain and a half!

Just one question... How many wheels do you need? Surely you already had enough to make the stabilisers? :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tankslappa wrote:
bigspanishmarty wrote:oh and today i bought/collected a rear storm wheel which came with a spindle/srocket carrier and half decent bt010r tyre on it, not bad for £29
Bloody hell mate, that's a bargain and a half!

Just one question... How many wheels do you need? Surely you already had enough to make the stabilisers? :lol:
i might turn it into a quad :lol: :lol: :lol:
it stands at
1 x cbr954 3 spoke front
1 x cbr900 6 spoke rear
2 x vtr1000f rears

its always good to have options matey :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

bigspanishmarty wrote:i might turn it into a quad :lol: :lol: :lol:
it stands at
1 x cbr954 3 spoke front
1 x cbr900 6 spoke rear
2 x vtr1000f rears

its always good to have options matey :thumbup:
I hope they're all the same diameter or you won't be going anywhere very fast, just round in circles!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
it wouldn't be the first time mate
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of kent......... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

I went to see to wizard, the wonderful wizard of errr, MoTs.

And guess what?! The silly sod only gave me one (and an MoT! Weyhay!)... So I went to see the wonderful wizard of DVLA local office, and they magically sorted out my missing V5 and gave me a tax disk.

Okay, it wasn't that magical, I had to queue for 10 minutes and give them lots of money.

Sooo ... LEGAL!

Only one thing left to do... Rip that POS Yamaha regulator off... The rev counter started twitching on the way to the MoT... I thought "Loose wire" because I'd had the front off... Then as I pulled into the MoT garage the indicators went "strange". Then I couldn't disarm the alarm or start it to take it into the test! I thought it was going to be the shortest MoT fail in history!

Luckily it cooled down, I got the bike started and it got tested.

Let it cool off again, and then a slightly quick blast down the A127 (most direct route) home before it went wrong again - It didn't though, maybe my battery was a bit low and it had to work hard to charge it initially.

Anyway, the R6 regulator is a bitch, and I'm gonna spank it.

*mutter* chopped my wiring loom for that... Grrrr!
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Oh, and somehow in the intervening years hanging in the cupboard, my leathers appear to have shrunk. Was a bit of a squeeze this morning. Glad I only had a slice of toast and not a full fry-up for breakie!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh, and somehow in the intervening years hanging in the cupboard, my leathers appear to have shrunk.
I could say something here but there is no need as everyone is thinking it. :lol:

I wasn't happy the way the bike was running so whipped me carbs back off, adjusted the mixture form 2 to 2 and half turns and moved the TPS to 500, well I managed to get it at 509. I then found a BMC filter that was originally on the bike. I thought it was an old K&N, Doh. So decided to not use the K&N that was in there and put the BMC back in.

Started her up played with the idle and synced the carbs. The carb adjustment allowed me to unscrew it so there is more play either side of the thread now. :thumbup: whereas before it was done up as far as it would go. But it was still running lumpy with fluctuating idle. Then realised I had forgotten to connect the TPS cable back up. Connected that back up while the bike was running and there was a noticeable change, instant smoothness and the idle was not fluctuating. I have a feeling that it the TPS being on the wrong setting that causes these bikes to fluctuate at idle. I then double checked the carb sync which was OK and now have my bike idling smoothly at 1200rpm. :thumbup:

Yet to go for a proper run yet.

tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Sounds like progress there Carl.

Can I just ask, what is the TPS I've heard mentioned? Where do these numbers come from? What do they mean?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

TPS Throttle Position Sensor You will find on the right hand side rear carbs with a 3pin wiring block attached to it. It's held in place by security torx bits. You can measure the Ohms on the top two pins with the block disconnected and alter it by twisting. This retards and advances the ignition.

Here you go have read here http://superhawkforum.com/forums/knowle ... nsor-9876/

Some more links here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... or#p158256

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... nsor#p6402

Last edited by VTRDark on Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azvtr1000rider

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by azvtr1000rider »

Installed DanMoto exhaust system. Love the sound!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That will be fooking loud..... Get a video of it and post up here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24323

:wink: