external breathers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KarlosVTR

external breathers

Post by KarlosVTR »

right, this was discussed a few years back now. i dont know if anyone done anything about it at all.

every time i sit in traffic im almost suffocated my oil vapours. it stinks. it was mentioned that external breathers helps this.

has anyone done anything like this? ive searched but using 'external breathers' and 'breathers' doesnt come up with anything useful
simo

Re: external breathers

Post by simo »

Don't the breathers which come off the top of the cam covers go straight into the air box and are consumed. If you were to fit an external surely it would be worse.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tony has an external breather set up, this may help
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... airbox+mod

Aso this one here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... od#p191126

Hope that gives you some ideas :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

nice one wicky, looks a bit extravagant for me. i think that hose is where my knee would normally go.

im loving tonys idea of the external one using the existing oil catch bottle
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not mine - but Jonesey's just up the road. I think he been nabbed & assimilated by the Borg or sumfink... :shifty:

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

separated at birth them things! which one is patrick stewart? i cant tell :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

KarlosVTR wrote:
im loving tonys idea of the external one using the existing oil catch bottle
It fits just right, and apart from the little filter scraping paint off the tank, it works fine.
If you're precious about the tank (my precious) then put a little rubber sticky on top to prevent lost paint.

Slightly odd noise at first, though, but you get used to it.
However it does need a loud exhaust; I ran standard cans for a track day a while back and it was very odd.
No noise on exhaust but this weird slurping sound whenever you opened the throttle.....

Tempted to fit a oil filler breather as well, to see if it makes any performance difference.
TBH, I didn't notice anything, and the dyno didn't, either, but I suppose it all helps, after a while.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tempted to fit a oil filler breather as well
You have been assimilated. :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

to be perfectly honest, i dont care about power gains. im sick of being suffocated by oil vapour when i come to a stop when its warm!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KarlosVTR wrote:to be perfectly honest, i dont care about power gains. im sick of being suffocated by oil vapour when i come to a stop when its warm!
there has to be something that has not been put back together correctly, it is not normal to smell any oil vapour.

#1 suspect will be the front cam breather pipe to the bottom of the air box, it is a bastid to get to and very likley that it hasnt been put back on properly and is now pumping its fumes and mist out onto the engine.
AMcQ
lloydie

external breathers

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:
KarlosVTR wrote:to be perfectly honest, i dont care about power gains. im sick of being suffocated by oil vapour when i come to a stop when its warm!
there has to be something that has not been put back together correctly, it is not normal to smell any oil vapour.

#1 suspect will be the front cam breather pipe to the bottom of the air box, it is a bastid to get to and very likley that it hasnt been put back on properly and is now pumping its fumes and mist out onto the engine.
agreed sounds like it .
It a pain to put back on I've done it lots of times over the last week and I will be doing again today lol
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

years ago when i first joined it seemed a common problem for these to not gulp in as much recycled vapour at tick over as they are supposed to and it was quite common for them to stink a bit.

the engine, middle of the V is clean and dandy. no evidence of a disconnected breather.

ill rip the bastid to bits soon and see hwhats going on. got to take it to bits anyway to do the CCTs