Is it me or is it the Storm ?

General Biker Banter
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

OK I've decided to let the Storm go to a friend who has been nagging me for it for some time. To be honest as I get older I find it harder and harder on the wrists and I did'nt want to raise the bars coz to bring up enough would mean chopping the fairing and Ithat would spoil it for me. What to replace her with ? I've always had a hankering for a 1200 GS. Nice upright position all the bells and whistles and plenty luggage space for all that touring when (if) I retire. So yesterday went for a test ride at the local Beemer shop. So disapointed, I found it top heavy, tall even for my 6' could just get balls of my feet down on the level. Seat was comfortable-ish but tended to slide me forward. Oh but noisy what a clatter sounded like a tractor or a Harley without the wonderful exhaust note. Plus very noisy round the helmet (the head one). Slow and rough not silky smooth and rapid like the Storm. Brakes were good and handled quite well but affected by the cross winds. Is it me or have I been spoilt by years of Storming ? Would I get used to it ? or can someone suggest an alternative. Must be upright, have some oomph, handle well, carry luggage, some wind protection and not look like a plastic dustbin i.e. Pan european ugh.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Kev L

Re: Is it me or is it the Storm ?

Post by Kev L »

What about that renowned beauty the Varadero? Heart of a Storm with the body of an adventure bike, and I like the looks as well. But it really seems to be a marmite bike.
I think you need to give the Beemer a little time mate, it's a huge step from the Storm. Beamish went from a GSX-R1000 to a GS I think. If you can get hold of him he can give you the best description. He has a couple of bikes for sale on here at the moment so send a PM.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do mate,
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

You do know the GS has an adjustable seat? I'm only 5'8 and I got most of my feet down on the seats lowest setting. Either you have the shortest legs in the world or you were parked above a hole in the ground.
Rich.

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Hello mate,
If you're after another V2 then I'm wasting my time with this suggestion. However, have you thought of a CB1300S?? I've owned 4 of them and they are pretty much faultless. The engine is an absolute peach, handles superbly, brakes are as good as anything else, and if you get an MRA Vario touring screen, you can sit bolt upright at 130, no issues at all.

Oh, and its comfy, I rode mine home from the Alps in a day.

Seriously, go test ride one.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
spider13

Post by spider13 »

give the beemer time and youll grow to love it,i had one and it took ages to get used to it but once you do youll give the sports riders a run for there money in the twisties the gs handles fantastic for a big old brute and will go on forever,ive worked on quite a few beemers and they tend to be pretty bullet proof but pricey for work from dealers,the only real problem with boxer engine is never leave it on the sidestand for long lenghts of time as all the oil tends to drown from the right cylinder,so when starting it starves itself,other thing is the ignition pickups on the front of the crank under that big cover at the front tend to break down after around 60,000 miles its not so much the manetic pickups more the wireing bmw use it breaks down due to heat,ive got loads of it in my garage but of a better quality so will last a life time,hope all this blurb may help
steve :D
Animal

Post by Animal »

I love my storm and cant even think about selling him. So he stays.
My other bike is an FJR1300, awesome bit of kit. Plenty of luggage space, good for long trips, (did Kent to Fort William in a day, 550miles)
Much quicker and better handling than a beemer or Pan, give one a try you will not be disappointed.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

beamish is selling a cracking looking vfr, pics in sale section, good price too imho :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Thanks for all the replies, will look at the 1300 also looking at the Tiger 1050 and Multistrada 1100 anybody had one ?
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

storminateacup wrote:Thanks for all the replies, will look at the 1300 also looking at the Tiger 1050 and Multistrada 1100 anybody had one ?
nope, another one for the mix tho may be the KTM 990 SMT - people seem to rave about that as a brill all rounder
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

BigVeeGrin wrote:
storminateacup wrote:Thanks for all the replies, will look at the 1300 also looking at the Tiger 1050 and Multistrada 1100 anybody had one ?
nope, another one for the mix tho may be the KTM 990 SMT - people seem to rave about that as a brill all rounder
+1 on that
AMcQ
opsmgr

Post by opsmgr »

I have the Tiger 955i. It's a lot different to the 'storm (like you didn't realise ;-) but the engine is torquey up to around 90, then runs out of puff, if you have a high screen fitted.

It goes much better with the Triumph competition exhaust fitted, but 'Not for road use' unfortunately ..

It is a much more restful riding position, but if you want a step up and still want a Honda, then a Blackbird is always a safe bet.

If you want a V-Twin, you could always look at the Ducati ST4 ?

Cheers,
Paul.
SPIV

Post by SPIV »

V Strom 1000 might be an option . Great all rounder !
rob's red storm

Post by rob's red storm »

I have a gs for general commuting and long distance touring, at 5'10 I can comfortably get two feet flat on the ground so the seat must have been adjusted too high on the one you tried!
I like the bike due to the oodles of lazy torque...completely different to the storm, and the storm feels like a minimoto for the first hour I get back on it!
I say give the Beemer a proper days try out, any good dealer should be able to do this for you

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

BigVeeGrin wrote:
Rode the KTM 990 SMT fantastic ordering one tomorrow.