what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by AMCQ46 »

tankslappa wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: bought Castrol oil to replace the Halfords stuff that was making the clutch slip, changed oil, went for a ride in between showers........clutch no slip any more :thumbup:
I've always be wary of non-bike specific oil for exactly that reason. Cars (and Ducatis) have dry clutches, so car oil tends to have lots of lovely anti-stick, slippy additives, all the things that you really don't want coating a surface which relies on friction. I'm sure the additives are listed in the SAE specs, and it would be possible to check for a car oil without them, but life is too short!
Tankslappa.....It was their motorcycle oil, semi synthetic, I tried it as an experiment, but wont use it again or recommend it ...........That said there are many on here that swear by it!

It was not causing clutch slip in normal use, but I use the clutch at 4000 revs in 2nd gear to pop the front wheel up. This was where the problem was showing its self, but back to castrol and the wheelies are back :D
AMcQ
seb421

Post by seb421 »

My mot is on the 26th wombles hate the feeling you get on the run up to it.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Hi all, picked up bike from local shop. Exhange engine fitted. Sounds sweet, runs like a dream. Off to work on it tomorrow, hooraaay! Back on two wheels.
Richard
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Sounds good that mate, can I see a pic, are the bulbs chrome or the lenses ?[/quote]

The chrome indi bulbs & clear lenses he fitted are chrome bulbs & clear lenses apparently, by the look of it. That's the way I read it. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry was on mobile while watching BSB on eurosport so wasn't paying full attention, my bad

Are they legal? Do they not have to flash orange / amber ?[/quote]

sorry for the confusion guys, the front indicators have got chrome bulbs, which flash amber/orange, so they're road legal.
i've also fitted clear front indicator lenses , so there is no yucky orange on the front of the bike unless the indicators are turned on, not the best of pictures i'm afraid...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Got my mot on Friday 13th :eek:

New boots to fit first though, pirelli dragon supercorsa 3's
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mine's Thursday.
It'll fail on noise.

Always does, then I give in and fit the standard cans for half an hour, retest, then change them back again.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

AMCQ46 wrote:
tankslappa wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: bought Castrol oil to replace the Halfords stuff that was making the clutch slip, changed oil, went for a ride in between showers........clutch no slip any more :thumbup:
I've always be wary of non-bike specific oil for exactly that reason. Cars (and Ducatis) have dry clutches, so car oil tends to have lots of lovely anti-stick, slippy additives, all the things that you really don't want coating a surface which relies on friction. I'm sure the additives are listed in the SAE specs, and it would be possible to check for a car oil without them, but life is too short!
Tankslappa.....It was their motorcycle oil, semi synthetic, I tried it as an experiment, but wont use it again or recommend it ...........That said there are many on here that swear by it!
Sorry, I didn't mean in insinuate you didn't know what you are doing. I'm just living in the hope that one day I will contribute something of use here :D
It was not causing clutch slip in normal use, but I use the clutch at 4000 revs in 2nd gear to pop the front wheel up. This was where the problem was showing its self, but back to castrol and the wheelies are back :D
:confused Sorry, I'm not familiar with this concept... Using the clutch to wheelie in 2nd gear? You should have got a yellow one mate, they do it off the throttle :biggrin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

seb421 wrote:My mot is on the 26th ferking hate the feeling you get on the run up to it.
The ride back with the new ticket is worth the worry though.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
lloydie

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

tankslappa wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:
tankslappa wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean in insinuate you didn't know what you are doing. I'm just living in the hope that one day I will contribute something of use here :D
:confused Sorry, I'm not familiar with this concept... Using the clutch to wheelie in 2nd gear? You should have got a yellow one mate, they do it off the throttle :biggrin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
his is yellow lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You should have got a yellow one mate, they do it off the throttle :biggrin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
his is yellow lol[/quote]
, Banana skin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Fitted my stubby Renegade titanium exhaust and put in new brake pads all round...can't wait to test them out :biggrin

Also bought a couple of parts for a minor update 8)

Relays, high output bulbs and LEDs for instrument panel and headlights
New (second hand) top yoke (from a CB400 Super 4) as other one has some holes drilled into it for aftermarket risers
R6 tail unit and some mini rear lights off the B(ig) S(exy) M(an) and an R6 riders seat from the bay of E-ness.
Box section for new subframe
MCCTs from ROAS (Cheers Tray :thumbup: )

Gonna be a busy weekend if everything turns up in time :twisted:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Snoogle wrote:Fitted my stubby Renegade titanium exhaust and put in new brake pads all round...can't wait to test them out :biggrin

New (second hand) top yoke (from a CB400 Super 4) as other one has some holes drilled into it for aftermarket risers
R6 tail unit and some mini rear lights off the B(ig) S(exy) M(an) and an R6 riders seat from the bay of E-ness.

look forward to seeing the progress mate!

hope its decent weather for you
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
seb421

Post by seb421 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:Sounds good that mate, can I see a pic, are the bulbs chrome or the lenses ?
The chrome indi bulbs & clear lenses he fitted are chrome bulbs & clear lenses apparently, by the look of it. That's the way I read it. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry was on mobile while watching BSB on eurosport so wasn't paying full attention, my bad

Are they legal? Do they not have to flash orange / amber ?[/quote]

sorry for the confusion guys, the front indicators have got chrome bulbs, which flash amber/orange, so they're road legal.
i've also fitted clear front indicator lenses , so there is no yucky orange on the front of the bike unless the indicators are turned on, not the best of pictures i'm afraid...
Image[/quote]

looking good mate did you not fancy newer style ones? i grew tired of the bulbous ones my self
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

seb421 wrote:
Snoogle wrote:Fitted my stubby Renegade titanium exhaust and put in new brake pads all round...can't wait to test them out :biggrin

look forward to seeing the progress mate!

hope its decent weather for you

Cheers buddy and yeh me too!!
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hahahaha whose gonna be a busy boy then. fingers crossed all goes well, looking forward to seeing the rear lights and smallish numberplate i hope..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!