Lowering seat height and touring

General Biker Banter
mavar1ck

Lowering seat height and touring

Post by mavar1ck »

Hi all, not long had my VTR and also is my first big twin. We will be embarking on our yearly european trip soon and would like to advice from the experienced :plainsmile

As usual I need to adjust the seat height slightly for comfort as I am 5' 5" with a measly 29" leg. In the past I have shaved a bit off the seat and replaced with a gel pad but this time I am tempted to use memory foam does anyone know which is best? I don't like altering a bikes geometry that's why I opt for seat altering. Already brought a second seat ready.

Hearing lots of tales about fuel range can anyone give me a realistic range as our friends petrol stops across the channel can be few and far between in places.

Anyone got any tips for riding the VTR long distance already found out you can't ride her the same as my previous bikes (last one CBR900rr) but I am already addicted to the grunt of the engine through the Microns.

Thanks in advance

Mav. :thumbup:
Wicky

Re: Lowering seat height and touring

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

There's been a few long distance/touring threads of late - http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&newwindo ... 64&bih=879

re Tank range 80-100 sometimes 120 miles on early model if taking it very steady - more if you've got the later 19L equipped Storm
Last edited by Wicky on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

What year is your bike? We have a 2003 with the 19l tank and can easily do 150 miles to a tank and 180 if we take it steady, two up with the luggage. We out perform everything that we go out with except for full on tourers. Use the gears progressively and you will do great MPG, after all you will be on holiday!!!

As for your seat, cant comment but are low slung anyway. Sure you need to alter?
playerone

Post by playerone »

I'm only 5' 6 and can manage to get one foot flat on floor with a slight shuffle to side of seat :thumbup:
matinik46

Post by matinik46 »

welcome.
went to normandy on my storm last year,two up,loaded with luggage.
mainly motorways,fast roads,averaged about 100-110 a tank(light on) 99reg. riding normally(fast-ish).
if you stick to main routes its not a problem.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

mavar1ck wrote:Hi all, not long had my VTR and also is my first big twin. We will be embarking on our yearly european trip soon and would like to advice from the experienced :plainsmile

As usual I need to adjust the seat height slightly for comfort as I am 5' 5" with a measly 29" leg. In the past I have shaved a bit off the seat and replaced with a gel pad but this time I am tempted to use memory foam does anyone know which is best? I don't like altering a bikes geometry that's why I opt for seat altering. Already brought a second seat ready.

Hearing lots of tales about fuel range can anyone give me a realistic range as our friends petrol stops across the channel can be few and far between in places.

Anyone got any tips for riding the VTR long distance already found out you can't ride her the same as my previous bikes (last one CBR900rr) but I am already addicted to the grunt of the engine through the Microns.

Thanks in advance

Mav. :thumbup:
Ever tried Gary Glitter boots ?
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

wayne roome wrote:What year is your bike? We have a 2003 with the 19l tank and can easily do 150 miles to a tank and 180 if we take it steady, two up with the luggage. We out perform everything that we go out with except for full on tourers. Use the gears progressively and you will do great MPG, after all you will be on holiday!!!

As for your seat, cant comment but are low slung anyway. Sure you need to alter?
It's a 1996 16l tank.

My old Blade got a little uncomfortable on long journeys so I put a gel pad in the seat and wore cycling shorts underneath and i could ride all day. I have read that some people have used memory foam in there bike seats to the same effect but at half the price.

Don't need to be flat footed but on the balls of my toes at the same time would be ideal especially in euro traffic around Antwerp.

On another note just pulled the choke cable out DOH! The previous owner told me he had fitted a pattern part and didn't trust it and had got hold of a genuine second hand part but didn't have time to fit it before it sold. Is this a hard job?

Mav.

If I wore Garry Glitter boots would it make me the leader of the gang?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

On another note just pulled the choke cable out DOH! The previous owner told me he had fitted a pattern part and didn't trust it and had got hold of a genuine second hand part but didn't have time to fit it before it sold. Is this a hard job?
Tank & airbox off and you'll need to undo and dislodge the carbs (leave cables etc attached) as you'll need to attach the choke cables to the carb from a fiddly awkward angle. If you haven't got a Haynes manual then check to see what the downloadable service manual PDF has to say in the workshop knowledgebase subforum. Afterwards probably need to balance carbs so perfect opportunity while you're in that deep to bung in a vacuum take off from the front cylinder. (see carb balancing sticky thread in workshop KB)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Benny hedges just turned his bottom link upside down and this dropped the bike quite a bit ,Send him a pm he will be happy to help :wink: I think :thumbup:
Loud pipes save lives!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

maver1ck wrote

"I am 5' 5" with a measly 29" leg."

how longs the other one?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

playerone wrote:I'm only 5' 6 and can manage to get one foot flat on floor with a slight shuffle to side of seat :thumbup:
This. I'm between you and the above. That extra half inch makes all the difference though. I can get one foot flat on the floor and the bike is comfy for touring with. Most I have done is 400 miles in a day. Apart from the fuel stops I enjoyed it.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
beemer1957

Post by beemer1957 »

Seat lowering , I bought the VTR in Sheffield , Hull firm DRS (Drop Raise Services) picked the bike up . Measured me and checked weight (Short fat git was the verdict. Picked the bike up a few days later , Bang both feet on the ground and front all set up . £250. They will deliver bike back for milage. Great guys :D