making stubbys

General Bike chat
macphray

making stubbys

Post by macphray »

Hi all ,can anyone here tell meif this will work, am wanting to cut my standard cans and remove all the internals and then weld them up as stubbys ,has any one done this? can it be done and if so how did the cans sound and do they affect performance much? thinking load stubbys on a budget.
any thought welcomed.
MacV2

Re: making stubbys

Post by MacV2 »

macphray wrote:Hi all ,can anyone here tell meif this will work, am wanting to cut my standard cans and remove all the internals and then weld them up as stubbys ,has any one done this? can it be done and if so how did the cans sound and do they affect performance much? thinking load stubbys on a budget.
any thought welcomed.
The normal thing to do is the ''Bafflectomy'' whereby the end of the can is drilled /cut out, then you remove the end baffle with lots of whacking & swearing it breaks the welds & pulls out.

This will leave half the baffles in the front half of the pipe. It sounds much better & has no discernible effect on power, gives a nice deep rumble when compared to standard pipes.

I would of thought that cutting them in half & removing all the 'guts' will make them very very loud , as they will be straight through. I have recently purchased a set of Harris cans & they still have a baffle of sorts in the way of a perforated tube surrounded by wadding.

As a suggestion whilst it sounds like a good plan maybe think about getting a second set of standards or even a pair that have been 'Bafflectomed'' to play with before you cut yours in half.

You also have to consider the MOT & keeping a standard set for the yearly check, it's very doubtful the stubbie will pass, whereas debaffed cans look standard & carry all the marks, mine passed with them last year & others have also had them fitted & passed.

As it happens the above set are surplus to requirements. Make me an offer, where a bouts in the country are you? I'm in North Kent, if you are not too far you can even come down & try before you buy.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you would have to be pretty handy with a welder and metalwork to cut down standard cans and still maintain a good finish, i know its not as cheap but your best bet is to find a damaged pair of carbon cans, they don't have to be for a firestorm, as long as the inlet diameter is the same. carbon is very easy to cut down, just buy two large jubilee clips from a hardware store and place them next to each other around the can and cut between them, it will give you the perfect angle and straightist cut.
theres a set of secondhand link pipes on ebay for £32, i believe the inlet diameter is 51mm, i might be wrong tho :lol:
have a hunt around on ebay and see what ou find, i know this isn't the cheapist option, but ou could achieve the best results with it.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

reference exhausts does drilling holes in the end which ive seen mentioned make a difference is it worth doing on my original and very tidy cans?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it makes the bike sound better, a deeper rumble, its called a bafflectomy, i think lloydiecbr has a pair for sale that have already been done......well someone has

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

making stubbys

Post by lloydie »

No but amcq46 has :)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Cans in the pic's above are for sale as surplus to requirements.

Marty, drilling a few holes is not a bafflectomy, just makes it a bit louder/fruitier. Joining all the holes up & bashing the baffle right out however is a full bafflectomy.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i know mate, its a lot of work getting the baffles out properly, and some people like to do 4 holes or 6 (partial bafflectomy)but from what i've heard taking the majority of baffle out (bafflectomy) sounds best..... :thumbup:
i might be after a pair myself if i get trouble with the mot man, mine are a bit to loud in all fairness, not sure how originals will fit with the larger diameter headers i've got tho.....mmmm
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macphray

Post by macphray »

Thanks guys, i have two sets of standard cans both set have had a bafflectomy the best pair were damage in the slide of i had but they sounded the best as it was a full baffle removal but on my second pair the ends was removed but you can still see the baffle tubes inside so they need breaking off ,does anyone know the best method of getting then tube broken off?.so this is why i was looking at cutting a pair down as stubbys to see how it would go.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

note - stubbys sound nice and look good but the bike most probably will not pull hard to the limiter with them fitted.
there is a reason bikes have long cans!

tuned length is where it's at.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
macphray

Post by macphray »

cheers mate will leave then as is ,will just remove the iner bafs .
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Had a Storm with a bafflectomy pull up next to me at the lights, guess what I'll be doing in the near future
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

these are cheap enough, you could make these into stubby's easily enough mate....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 256e1ec331
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!