confidance in my storm

General Bike chat
macphray

confidance in my storm

Post by macphray »

Hi chaps i just want to ask if any one has ever suffered with this after an off ,i took the storm out today and i must admit i had no confidance in my frontend. this is due to my suffering a lowside off in the wet on a rounabout on the second day after buying it .now the front tyre is a metzler and it looks as if its been round donington circuit once or twice, should i change it ?or will it clean up ok .i havent had this storm long so ant done any miles on it yet,so how does the storm frontend handle when cornering? I had a tlr before and it was super when dipping into corners.but fecking heavy.
tony.mon

Re: confidance in my storm

Post by tony.mon »

Pretty much everything should grip ok in the dry, have you checked pressures?
Anyone live local you cold swap with for ten minutes?

Probably just a confidence thing, build up slowly but don't be pushed along faster than you're happy with if trying to keep up with your mates.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

depending on what metz you have on the front, if its a trackday tyre, it's probably a racetec k1, it should clean up but if its had a lot of heat cycles it might need changing, putting fresh tyres on will help your confidence buddy.
the storms front end is not the most awe inspiring, to soft and prone to front end bottoming out under heavy braking, you can put a thicker oil in or fit some new springs linear or progressive, they will make a big difference, at the other end of the scale you can put a fireblade front end on, not cheap but it makes a massive difference.
good luck with whatever you decide to do buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macphray

Post by macphray »

Thankyou lads for your advice will build it up nice and slow ,just checked the rubber thats on and it racetec k2
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Better to let your confidence grow as you ride more, better to take it slowly than a slow drive to the cemetry.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

the k2s have gave me lots of confidence in the front but i have sorted forks and brakes .
take your time and it will come back to you in time .
i had a big off in 2000 ,i didn't ride for 6 years after that but now after 4 years back on the bike
i find my confidence is growing with every ride :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

macphray wrote:Hi chaps i just want to ask if any one has ever suffered with this after an off ,i took the storm out today and i must admit i had no confidance in my frontend. this is due to my suffering a lowside off in the wet on a rounabout on the second day after buying it .
if the front end doesnt feel right im wondering if youve twisted the bottom yoke in your off - it is made of beef jerky. :thumbdown:
try taking the front wheel off and see how easy the spindle comes out - if it doesnt slide out easy 99% youve bent the yokes.
if thats the case they will need changing.
stiffening the front end with heavier springs / progressive springs and a fork oil change works wonders... especially if its a 10yr+ old bike and the oil is still the original stuff...

and you should see the difference between old fork springs and a new oem set - the last ones i did were like 40mm longer so obviously the old springs get tired with age & will affect the preload.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
macphray

Post by macphray »

Many thanks for all the replies.
:thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mate, i might be in the same club as you :lol:
i had a massive off and a bit of intensive care 16 mths ago, i haven't ridin in anger since, my bikes almost finished and i hoping to get a little bit of riding in before i meet up with the guys at the essex workshop day, believe me i will be taking it easy myself, you gotta jump back on the horse so to speak, good luck buddy... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macphray

Post by macphray »

good luck to you to Bigspanish.i will check my frontend ie yokes and forks,tyres to make sure they are all ok,after that its just me to fix. :beer:
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I hope you get over the off.

Why not take it to a track day and do the beginner laps. At least that way you're sure that theres nothing else to worry about whilst you get the feel of the bike back?

Just a suggestion.
Opel

Post by Opel »

Macphray... Looking at the picture thing above your name, did you get your storm from Fast track, or is it a general pic you used? :cool2
lloydie

confidance in my storm

Post by lloydie »

Tyre pressures play a big part in how the bike handles to much and it will feel like the front wants to tuck in under you and to less and it don't want to turn in at all .
It's well worth a check
36psi front 42 psi rear :)
macphray

Post by macphray »

with ref to Opels comment ,yes I got the bike as part of a part ex from fasttrack leicester,a very nice and clean bike for its age .
Last edited by macphray on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macphray

Post by macphray »

Hi lads i went for a ride today after topping up the air as i had 36 in front and rear,but i upd it to 42psiin rear and it handled much better but it was also a lovely sunny dry day so the confidance was better i did notice that its a 190 on the rear and not a standard 180 i know that it would turn in better with the 180 on but would it handle poor with a 190 on ? what size do you lads use?would you lads recomend puting a 180 back on.?