Mallory 13/11/04

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

EggShellBlond

Mallory 13/11/04

Post by EggShellBlond »

Still Buzzin' 24 hrs later :D

Set off at 6.45am , admiring the beautiful colours as the rising sun hit the frost that had formed overnight on cars parked in the street. Nose-end thermomater says about 5 degrees below . Cold is not the word.

Head off down the A50 towards M1, having decided to give the cross-country route a miss. The junction I need is closed due to roadworks ! butt !
Option 1 , follow de-tour to Donington ( not sure of road surface ) or
Option 2 , head North , and get to next junction for a swift about face

Option 2 it is

Sitting on the M1 at indicated 120 , it's brass monkey time , big style

Arrive at the A47 turn for Mallory , no visible signs of Gritters , a lovely bit of road remembered from The Gathering in summer , this time negotiated with caution

Hit the circuit at 8.00 am , looking for a few lads off another forum , somewhat dismayed to see very professional looking set-ups in the garages by the end of pitlane , all racebikes , tyrewarmers the full monty 8O

Find the lads in the paddock area , and just about manage to lever myself off the 'Storm.
Intro's all round , and a welcome cup of tea ( ah a kettle !! result , nice one )

Get the good news in the breifing about " track day , not practise/ raceday " , flags etc and NO UNDERTAKING , and warm your tyres up etc etc etc

I'm in the Novice ( Nobbers )group , so straight out to pitlane , Jesus here we go , I'm still frozen , remember to breathe , warm up tyres etc etc

We're off , following 2 instructors , no overtaking , by the end of the first sighting lap they;re hal;f way round Gerrards ( big sweeping right hander ) this is no good , I'm not seeing the line ( I was about 6th away ) . Eventually they slow down to about 50 8O ( really !! ) for a couple of laps

Build the pace up steadily ( there's still evidence of Frost at Edwina's Chicane ) , nice and courteous to others , waiting till they're out of the corner before overtaking , when all of a sudden , a CBR600 sticks it up the inside as I was tipping into Gerrards !
Banzai , Tora Tora Tora , Red Mist & Game On son

10 minutes of absolute attack motorcycling , fantastic , but not got a chance of following the right lines , 4 abreast into the hairpin , and 2 around the Bus Stop ( horrible , couldn't get it right all day ) , hammering thru' the Devils Elbow for the short straight

One of the lads I'd met up with had a bit of a moment when he came up behind a slower rider who suddenly jammed the anchors on , so he grabbed a handful and his backend went all wobbly , looked weired , but all OK , I had a twitch from the front end at the hairpin

All too soon the flags out , end of session , so back to the paddock , park up and I'm screaming with adrenaline

Hear " who's is the FireStorm ? " , look round , it's an Instructor , obviously impressed with the bike , " can I have a word ? "

I'm thinking he wants to make me an offer , but NO! , apparantly 've been undertaking in corners , " Moi ?, some mistake , sureley ? "
Ah , it appears I've stuffed it up the inside of said instructor at Edwina's , so we go over the rules again , and I explained that I'd had it happen to me , and had assumed they were just saying it for effect.

Right , so we can go around the outside anywhere , up the inside at Gerrards so long as there's room , and it's not elbow to elbow

It makes sense , and he offers to show me the line in 2nd session , result :D

Next session, things are warming up nicely , the track starts to flow , and after following my new bestest freind for a bit I get waved by , so best not hang about eh?

3 laps later he wheelies past me coming out of a corner ( thus demonstrating my crap line ie leant over when I should be upright yabba yabba yabba blah blah )

One more before lunch , really getting into it , powering out of corners with the front end shimmying slightly , and taking loads on the brakes(, apart from the Buss stop ) , then off to find Petrol ( as the tracks pumps were frozen :roll: )

The Inters had a guy go down ( broken collar bone I think ), but all in all , not too many incidents

First session after lunch , and things were really hotting up with fantastic grip everywhere , ( had the front end chirrupping a fair bit ) and I felt a lot smoother than when 'd arrived

The next inters had a couple down , then a biggy at Gerrards ( a faller took 4 more down we heard later ) which meant there was a delay , the paddock area had thinned out after Lunch as people must have thought it was getting colder , whatever

We were called to pitlane ( I asked if it was the prizegiving ceremony :lol: , lead balloon time ), to be told that things had been getting a bit " hot" in the Inters , with most incidents happening in the early laps ( not warming tyres , see )
and both ambulances were at the local Infirmary , and as soon as they got back there were more waiting in the Medical Centre , so the organisers called it off , as they weren,t prepared to carry on without medical cover

Fair enough , and I think everyone had had enough really , as the temperature was dropping rapidly

So that was it ,farewell to the lads I'd parked up with , load up the panniers and trundle off , dreaming of next year

Top Day
:D :D :D :D :D
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
simon t

Post by simon t »

Sounds a laff. Was hoping to come and take the piss, but work got in the way, as Loughborough Fair is one of mine. There's a toy run from Mallory next weekend, so maybe I can sneak onto the track and give it some :D

Dead right though, it was fkin freezin' :sad2
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

quote from other site :twisted:

" Was overtaking most people by the last session, only had 2 people come past me, one on a hire bike and some nutter on a firestorm!!! who thought i was an instructor!

Naughty Avo! "

Got confused between the colour of the Hi-Viz jackets :roll:
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I see the usual carnage. I did it two years ago and stacked it at Gerards. Blood wagon picked me up and took me to the medical centre even though I was up and walking about. The nurse was asking if I was alright and all I could say was... I can't believe I've wrecked my bike. She took pity on me cos I was looking so sad she made me a cup of tea :)