Noob

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Webbnuts

Noob

Post by Webbnuts »

Hi all.

I'm new to biking and Firestorms, recently divorced I thought it best to do something I had always wanted to do and take my direct access. I was then on the lookout for something like a CBR 600, or a Bandit when my mate informed me he was selling his Firestorm. I went along for a test ride and fell in love! I had ridden trials bikes at entry level competitions previously, but the only bike I had ridden on the roads was a 500cc Suzuki I took my test on!

Didn't think a 1000cc bike would be suitable for a learner, but so far I love it and the torque means I can concentrate on corners and the road ahead rather than banging up and down through gears all the time!

I'm in North Dorset - anyone go to the Hunters Lodge on thursday nights during the summer? Maybe bump into some of you soon!
AMCQ46

Re: Noob

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club mate.

Shame it took divorce to bring you here, but every cloud has a silver lining as they say!

Enjoy the bike and take your time to get to know it as even though it is a big pussycat, it is still big!
AMcQ
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome. I had 6 mths on a 1991 reg gsxr750 before going onto the Storm after passing DAS. I found the Storm a lot more noob friendly. You'll soon get used to the bikes character and handling and it is a confidence builder. Take her out on a long run and you'll have a blast.

(This must be Pinkys longest welcome. )
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Come on in and pull up a chair....... :wave:
lloydie

Noob

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hello noob
tells us about your bike, and have a good read thru the forum, don't forget to check to see if you have the original cct's and r/r, if you have they will need changing buddy, its all covered in the workshop section...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

hello and welcome :)
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Welcome to the forum man
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Evening and Welcome.. :wave:
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

ow do and welcome :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
whitestorm pete

Post by whitestorm pete »

welcome in mate im new to this aswell only joined last week and these guys are all great + the workshop section is so helpfull! :thumbup:
If sh1t were money you would be worth a fortune
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard
Webbnuts

Post by Webbnuts »

bigspanishmarty wrote:hello noob
tells us about your bike, and have a good read thru the forum, don't forget to check to see if you have the original cct's and r/r, if you have they will need changing buddy, its all covered in the workshop section...... :thumbup:
Well, my firestorm is standard other than aftermarket cans, its been dynojetted and has a K&N filter. It sounds absolutely amazing! the back end has been raised by 4mm as well to help it lean into the corners apparantly - i have no idea if this is the case or not as have not ridden it without the 4mm plate, and I'm so new at this I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference!

I've been out on some good long runs, mostly to the south coast!

Bigspanishmarty - what is a CCT and a R/R? sorry, but I really am new to all this!
Webbnuts

Post by Webbnuts »

This might work - this should be a link to a few pics of my Firestorm

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 5dedad73c6
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

firestorms have 2 auto Cam Chain Tensioners (cct) but although honda has never admitted it, they are a weak link, and can go pop at any mileage, a few weeks ago a fella on the forum had his go at only 7.000 on the clock from new. you need to contact bazza (another forum member) he can supply you with manual cct's which will give you piece of mind. because if the cct's do go wrong you could be looking at a repair bill of £300+ depending where you are in the country there might be another forum member that could help you out fitting them. all the instructions are in the workshop section, don't follow the haynes book because its wrong. you can also do a stopper mod, which is the cheapest option, its all in the workshop knowledge base section of the forum.
this is a picture of an original cct
good...Image
bad....Image

Regulator/Rectifier (r/r) is found under the rear fairing attached to the side of the rear subframe, the original one is flat and overheats, cooking the battery and electrics, you need to get another one from another honda or even an r6/r1 but a honda cg125 one is fine and is a straight swap.
heres more pics
good....Image
bad.....Image

have a good read up buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!