exhaust removal and install advise needed please

General Bike chat
macphray

exhaust removal and install advise needed please

Post by macphray »

Hi folks not sure about this so any help would be most helpful Hope this will make sence ,i took my standard end cans off today but when it came to fitting it again later i couldnt get the stud hanger on the linkpipe behind the footpeg plate to insert the bolt :Argue 1: i tryed pressure with long bar but it just ant fitting .Now lads i have two ideas to what i may need to do please correct me if am wrong ,maybe i need to slacken of the main pin that hold the swingarm onto the frame to allow movement from my footpegs plate,then when on, tighten the swingarm and bring it all in .

or do i have to slacken off the down pipes /to allow me to line up the link pipe hanger behind the footpeg and them tighten up not sure so help please.
MacV2

Re: exhaust removal and install advise needed please

Post by MacV2 »

What do you mean by 'link pipe hanger' ?

What side are you having difficulty with?

Is it on a paddock stand?

When I have taken mine off in the past I found that being on a paddock stand gave you less room to move the pipe around as the stand gets in the way.

You may find that taking off the rear foot peg hanger gives you the room you need to line it up properly, also do not tighten up the exhaust clamp or in fact any bolts until all are lined up & in place.

Hope this helps
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
macphray

Post by macphray »

Hi mate thanks thanks for the info ,on the standard can you have the muffler hanging point and lower down you have another hanger that bolt to the footpeg , am working on both sides of the bike while on the side stand, i wiggle the mufflers as you do to get them on the bottom pipes then twist to line up the muffler hanger .but at this point tho bottom isnt line up with the footpeg hole.did that make sence?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ok sort of makes sense, muffler hanger is in line & ok but the lower link pipe hanger is not in line. Is it missing by a lot or just a little?

Try getting the link hanger bolt in first leave it loose & put the muffler hanger bolt in last you should have enough free play to move it about to line up.

If all else fails I find lots of swearing followed by application of a large hammer normally does the trick....(only joking about the hammer. Try FOR GODS SAKE BLOODY F*#!IN' SON OF A BITCH BASTID' BLOODY THING!!! it always works for me)
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

had the same prob when i changed my mate,tried loosening the lot and still no joy,did think of the hammer option lol,been riding with it as it is with no probs so i,m just going to dremel the bracket off mate
macphray

Post by macphray »

Quality :D lol will try all of the above later today if i can get into the garage with all the snow.lol
Animal

Post by Animal »

This is what I do.

Push the exhaust onto the downpipes, the can should now be almost or on the floor.
Lift exhaust up so the bracket is almost behind the foot peg.
Put a screwdriver through the mounting bolt hole of the footrest and also put it through the hole in the bracket you are trying to line up.
With a bit of wiggling of the exhaust and screwdriver you should now be able to line it up. (there is a rubber in the bracket which helps by giving a bit more fitting flexibility)
Insert bolt and do it up.

Hope it all makes sense.

Good luck.
macphray

Post by macphray »

thankyou all very much for the know how was all very helpful. :thumbup:
macphray

Post by macphray »

hi lads got the cans back on and lined up , i have noticed that the r/h can is higher than the left ,i have played about with it but it still l looks sh*t.
now im thinking is the rear subfame bent as it was the same side i had the damage on after my slide or downpipe? or maybe the cans themselves????
i checked subframe all looks fine but i cant truly tell. Has anyone had the same issue ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's all about how far on to the system the RH pipe is.
Because it goes on at an angle, the further onto the system the overlap is, the higher the end of the can that side.

Worst case, slacken off all of the exhaust header bolts and system bolts and wiggle it until it looks straight, then retighten everything.

Only set the cans with the bike on a paddock stand, you never get them right with it leant over on it's sidestand, IME.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macphray

Post by macphray »

ok thanks i will have another go at it tomorrow cheers for your advice.
macphray

Post by macphray »

Hi well today i spent the whole day trying to get the endcans level,but no joy ,am just wondering if the rear foot hanger is bent slightly,or the subfram after landing in that side when it slid down the rd.the thing is they both look fine ,but i dont know what else it could be maybe when it slid down the rd it bent the underpipes?? trial and error me thinks maybe new rearpeg ,subframe, £££££££££ or try diffrent under pipes ie system?
anybody got any ideas?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Are your link pipes fitted with a bracket that joins on to the footrest bracket?
If so, oval the holes a little, or, if they are that far out, cut them off.

Or,
2. Bring the bike to Wicky's workshop day in April, and one of us will sort it for you.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macphray

Post by macphray »

yeepee got the flickr up cracked :thumbup:
just a few pics to show the issue with the pipes.the bottom pic show how far out the alignment is at the rear footpeg when the cans are level.