Non starter.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
firestorm1997

Non starter.

Post by firestorm1997 »

Advise needed please..

My VTR has been parked up for a while, Spent a lot of money on it sorting out an electrical problem and lost faith in it so parked it up.
I also own a K5 GSX1400 so still had two wheels and wasn't bothered. I now feel it needs to be back on the road, I miss the ride.
So whilst it was parked up I had it on an optimiser on and off. Pulled the bike out yesterday gave it a good clean and re-connected the battery.
When I tried to start it, it turned over a few times then nothing except the clicking of a dead battery.. :evil:
Got the GSX out and connected jump leads,,,, still not enough power going through to turn it over. I would have though that the bike would have turned over easily with the leads connected.
Am I right in thinking this could be a starter relay issue or does it sound like battery / bad earth issues?
Any ideas...
benny hedges

Re: Non starter.

Post by benny hedges »

check the voltage at the battery,,,, but its more likely to be a corroded connector at the starter motor end.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Thanks Benny.
I will check this out... :thumbup:
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

i'd say battery. give it a jump start of the car see what happens
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

mark skett wrote:i'd say battery. give it a jump start of the car see what happens

I was always under the impression that jumping a bike from a car would / could do some damage due to the higher ohs pushed out from car alternators.
So on that belif I have never jumped a bike from a car, always from another bike.. :think:
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I have used a car to jump start a bike on many occasions but never with the car running. A car battery should start a bike and still start the car afterwards with no problems.

I think if car is not running the bike will only draw the current it needs :D
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

MJONESY wrote:I have used a car to jump start a bike on many occasions but never with the car running. A car battery should start a bike and still start the car afterwards with no problems.

I think if car is not running the bike will only draw the current it needs :D
bank on, dont have the car running. I did once on a k75s and welded the starter solenoid closed( could not understand why the bike kept trying to start after the bike had fired up and idled) lucky enough it was a bimmer and it all came to pieces so I could un-weld it.
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Thanks to all who commented.. The car battery did it................... :D

http://youtu.be/FpRmgrUWkdw

http://youtu.be/yV4kmNYzN34

Just need to get it down the MOT station.... :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

IT LIVES!

Another rossi red un sorted....
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

thats a bloody clean r-reg mate, i can't believe you made us wait until the end of the second video for you to blip the throttle :lol:
you tease. you gotta love older hondas, put them in a garage for a couple of years, sort the battery, give it a clean and it's as good as new.
fingers crossed for the mot buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Nice 1 glad you got her going.I have one just like it in my garage.

PS don't listen to the Yellow storm owners who tell you that their's is the best colour. Us red owners know the real truth :D
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

glad its sorted pal
like i said at the begining normally battery if its not been used for a while. i had to get a new 1 after none use for about 6 months. easier trying to jump starting it first before going into the manual looking for problems.
i think all cars are 12 vault same as most big bikes so should be no problem using there battery for a jump as long as you dont start the car like the others have said.
get the battery checked asap cos you dont wanna get stuck out on a ride

ps
red is best :biggrin
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

mark skett wrote:red is best :biggrin

:thumbup: :plainsmile and the fastest....
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

MOT'd today and it................Passed. :thumbup:
OK so it does need two new tyres, the brake pads are low and the exhaust is "Noisy"...so what do they expect from a V Twin with Blue Flame Pipes on. :lol: