Suspension set up for a new VTR owner

General Bike chat
Jim

Suspension set up for a new VTR owner

Post by Jim »

Advice please. Have owned my 2001 VTR (origional model) for about 8 weeks now and getting used to the feel of a new bike. The only problems so far are its tendancy to run wide on corners. Any suggestions for suspension settings for a 14 stone chap. The bike is currently on standard settings and Dunlop Sportmax II's.
buzz

Post by buzz »

hi jim
welcome to the vtr board they are a good bunch on here , regarding your sussies get in touch with roger at revolution racing he his the top man on vtr sussies tell him your weight and the way u ride and he will tell u the best settings for u . i did what he said and the diferance was amazing

good luck

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz :lol:
Jim

Suspension set up

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the advice.

Jim
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

I'm about 14 stone ....ish

Mines running all as std with the following set up.

Front - forks dropped 5mm thru yolks, preload wound right in(hardest) with last ring just showing and damping wound all the way out(softest) then 1 turn back in.

Rear - 6mm spacer under shock mount, preload on postion 1(softest) and damping wound right out(softest) and then 1 1/4 turns back in.

NB!! this is my set-up and works very well for my riding style both on the road and hard trackday use. All I do know is change the tyre pressures - std 36/42 for the road and 30/36 for the track using D207 GP's...... It may not suit you!!

At the last Dyno-day at Revolution, the guy checking suspension set-up made no adjustments.
The only prob is that with it being set so soft, ground clearance at max lean can be a prob though - check in the gallery for the pic of my footpeg :D
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

I'm about your weight,
I've got 2 rings showing, front preload
I find going to pos 3 on rear preload makes a difference.

with good tyres (010 / 020 combo on mine) , steering is absolutely beautiful; light and neutral.

Had 4mm spacer under shock mount for a while, this gives a tighter line, but I think loses some neutrality. Horses for courses.

Lost of things you can try, most probably involve lifting the rear relative to the front to give more front weight bias and steepen the steering angle.

cheers
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Im about your weight and have had 2 storms. I found that the settings on the standard suspension didnt make a massive difference to the bikes desire to understeer but a 5mm spacer over the rear shock made it much easier to turn in. If your only complaint is the bike understeering or being reluctant to turn into a corner it may be worth trying a spacer before you mess about too much with the settings on the suspension. Once youve got it turning in then work on the ride using the settings that suit you.