Do I buy?

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Do I buy?

Post by Miztaziggy »

I was thinking of a new R1, probably the big bang engine ones early next year. I was looking to spend around £7k on one.

The opportunity has come up now to buy a 10 plate bike, but the 08 model so just before the big bang ones. I cant afford it until the end of this month, but when I get paid, the question is should i settle with the older model or wait and buy the big bang model next year? Im in a real dilemma as to whether to buy this or not now.

The bike is approx £7500, which I would normally put me off for the older model. But the main reason for the dilemma is that the bike is a finance repossession, the guy who bought it new apparently paid about £8-9k, did 1600 miles on it then spent a further £11k changing parts on it.

It really has had no expense spared. Rear shock worth over a grand, front forks same, all real carbon fibre bits, inc rear fairing, mudguard, hugger etc, arrow rearsets, wavy discs and uprated calipers apparently worth £600 each, tail tidy etc etc etc list goes on....

The bike still has only 1600 miles as the guy who had it, apparently never had the chance to use it before it got repossessed :crazy:

Im in half a mind to buy it just to strip the bits and sell on, replace with standard bits and make some money out of it, or, is this a once in a blue moon opportunity to get all these mods/upgrades on the cheap???

stormingjoe

Re: Do I buy?

Post by stormingjoe »

Knock em down £500 and buy it :thumbup: nice looking and some choice bits fitted, if you don't like it, strip it of the bits and sell the lot off and you could buy a near new with change next year, can't see that happening though :D. Only worry would be if the previous owner has spare keys and finds it :(
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

no brainer...........this bike has the best bits you could ever want for, and is too good to miss
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Do I buy?

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:no brainer...........this bike has the best bits you could ever want for, and is too good to miss
Too good to miss? That strong eh?

If you had the chance, you would buy it?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes, yes, yes............just the Ohlins & Brembo alone have me wetting the bed :lol:

can I put them on my Storm :thumbup:
AMcQ
rob...

Post by rob... »

Miztaziggy wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:no brainer...........this bike has the best bits you could ever want for, and is too good to miss
Too good to miss? That strong eh?

If you had the chance, you would buy it?
if i had £7.5k i'd rip his fekkin' arm of....

right now.

there's nearly £4k's worth of ohlins and brembo alone.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you want a big bang, just keep the Storm and leave standard CCT's in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
encee

Post by encee »

Why did you want the Big Bang one, specifically (not knocking one mate, as I`ve ridden one and they`re sh1t hot), is it because it`s the latest model, the looks, the sound, the feel ?

Only reason I ask is because if it`s a Big Bang one you REALLY want, then this one, even with all the trick-bits isn`t going to satisfy you completely.

Now, as others have said, if you want it as a money-spinner only (and who could blame you), then go ahead..........

I take it that all the original bits are still with it; ie: you don`t have to actually buy the standard bits to put it back to standard, if you know what I mean ??

There are pros and cons for both here, as the Big Bang ones really are ace, but you will still be able to buy one in the future, whereas THIS actual bike won`t be available again if you let it go now.........

Your choice mate; have fun !! 8)
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

buy buy buy!! do it NOW

just had a little dribble :oops: its nearly as sexy as my R1 :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

No mate, the standard bits arent with it...he sold them all. The reason I wanted the big bang was the looks and the fact they are the latest model.

I just cant get it out of my head now that if I dont buy this, and buy a £7k big bang, it will have 5000 miles on it and ill always wish I bought this with only 1600 miles and (apparently according to his forum page) £20,000 spent on it???? :wtf: :wtf:

The guy who has it now said to look him up on the forum, so I did and found the original owner

http://www.yamahar1.co.uk/apps/bikes/bike.php?id.2575

His forum sig says:

Ohlins Road & Track Forks
Ohlins TTX Shock
Ohlins Steering Damper
Arrow Full Race System
Arrow Rear Sets
Renthal Chain and Sprockets
Brembo HPK Calipers
Brembo RCS Master Cylinder
Brembo Clutch
Samco Hoses
Pro Bolt Full Race Spec Bolt Replacement
Galfer Discs
Carbon Fiber Bodywork
Power Commander
K&N Air Filter
+ Lots More
lloydie

Do I buy?

Post by lloydie »

You would of thought to pay off the finance before spending that kind of money on a bike
Kia loss your gain :)

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

buy it quick m8 before the mrs buys a horse box lol.

very very nice machine that is bud :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

As has been said mate its a no brainer.

GET THE DEAL DONE!!!!!!!

YOU REALLY KNOW U WANNA!!!!!
I had a sex wee looking at the pics, I always fancied an R1 but then discovered Vtwins :thumbup:

just my tuppence worth.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

I personally would buy this one but if you prefer the look of the big bang one then go for that. You would only be talking about 3400 miles difference and I do that in about 3 months. It's still absolutely no milage however, I think you would be mad to pass up the opportunity to own a bike like this if you can afford it and afford the insurance to go with it. And why would you want to put it back to standard? It looks brilliant as it is and you probably wouldn't make much if you had to buy the standard parts anyway. There was an article in PB magazine or some such where they built an R1 from parts and the bill came to something like 67k so that should give you an idea of how much individual parts can cost from Yamaha.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
geodude

Post by geodude »

Are you buying to ride it or to sell it? (if you know what I mean)

If you are buying it to ride it JFDI!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories