Best Oil

General Biker Banter

Best Oil

Post by Image »

What's the best oil for a VTR1000 Firestorm? I assume 10-40 viscosity but what make? Is Silkolene good?
Wicky

Re: Best Oil

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

What I use, sometimes comes along in the special offers :thumbup:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.

Post by Image »

If I 'DON'T do a total oil change, i.e. if I just top it up, am I best using synthetic or semi-synthetic, bearing in mind I don't know which is in there from the last user. I recall you can either use semi on top of sythetic or the other way around but I don't remember :confused
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you're not sure what oil is in your bike or when it was last changed then best do a complete oil change to semi-synth' and replace the filter. That way you'll know where you're at from now on. Same for sparkplugs, airfilter, coolant, brake & clutch fluids and all other service items
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Wicky wrote:If you're not sure what's oil is in your bike or when it was last changed then best do a complete oil change to semi-synth' and replace the filter. That way you'll know where you're at from now on. Same for sparkplugs, airfilter, coolant, brake & clutch fluids and all other service items
+1 on this advice. Not worth taking a gamble on the basic service items. Start your ownership with a freshest and then run your service intervals from there.

And semi synth is recommended for the storm, as it's a bit of a tractor anyway, but also Honda advise that full synth can lead to clutch slip.
AMcQ
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

Likely have clutch slip with full-synth :thumbdown:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.