Gear Box

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
oldbikeman

Gear Box

Post by oldbikeman »

Hello All
When ticking over and put into gear there's the old nasty clunk which I get round by starting it in gear.How many others are having this trouble,has anyone got a cure?
Steve97

Re: Gear Box

Post by Steve97 »

Check chain adjustment, cush drive rubbers, clutch may need bleeding, all these have happened to me at one time or another, and produce your symptoms :thumbup:

Steve
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

also check the wear on the gear linkage ball joints.
theyre probably worn and loose.
if they are you can get new ones off ebay but dont forget one is a left hander ;)

it also helps if you realign the gear shift lever - the lever that connects to the shaft - so it points down vertical rather than on an angle
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

On these bike there is always a bit of a clonk when you go into gear, and also going from 1st to 2nd. Getting good tension set up, and eliminating Cush slop will help, but will never eliminate.
AMcQ
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Weird one really,I've bought 43 new bikes over a 1000cc since 1978 and about a third of them have done this from new.So I know it's not wear or oil choice or bad usage .This is one of the few problems that I have not been able to put a definite fault to has it seems to be down to luck.I was just wondering if it is particularly bad with this model.
When you tell the agents about it they usually say it will disappear after more mileage which is bull.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Also clean the clutch pushrod.

They all do it, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

tony.mon wrote:Also clean the clutch pushrod.

They all do it, though.
Tony - is this a straight slide out job? Or if you do does something drop inside?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

aye just pull it out and give it a good clean.
clean the area around the hole tho so you dont push crap inside the seal when you put it back - and be sure to put it back the same way round ;)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.