`Storm or SP ? (Now with pics)

General Bike chat
Kev L

Re: `Storm or SP ? (Updated)

Post by Kev L »

Well done fella, glad you got there in the end. It makes sense to go for the different bike rather than revisiting one you owned previously.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
encee

Post by encee »

Cheers Kev; yeah, it makes sense to go for something different...........especially when it`s in the condition that this is.

This bike really is a testament to Honda`s quality (and its previous owners, of course), as it`s immaculate for a 10 year old bike !

No joke, I`ve owned bikes only 2 to 3 years old that weren`t in the nick that this one is......... 8)
benny hedges

Re: `Storm or SP ?

Post by benny hedges »

encee wrote:Right lads, FINALLY made the decision.

I finally settled on.................................THE SP1 !!!!

right first things..... get a 16 tooth front sprocket on.
do the QAT quick action throttle mod as detailed here in the workshop.
look just in front of the clocks.... see that diaphragm that looks like a horn... pull the pipe off it and plug it with a m6 bolt.
if it doesn't have one already, get a power commander & get it on the dyno for a custom map :thumbup:

bloody brill bikes arent they :)

as said, very different to the firestorm (and everything else tbh) - enjoy it m8 :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
encee

Re: `Storm or SP ?

Post by encee »

benny hedges wrote:
encee wrote:Right lads, FINALLY made the decision.

I finally settled on.................................THE SP1 !!!!
look just in front of the clocks.... see that diaphragm that looks like a horn... pull the pipe off it and plug it with a m6 bolt.
Okay Benny; thanks for the advice mate, but what exactly does this bit do mate, is it part of the QAT mod ?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

no m8 there is a flapper inside the intake at the front of the fairing which closes partially at about 6000rpm to reduce intake howl.... disconnecting the vacuum pipe prevents it from closing, therefore removing the intake restriction, increasing midrange power and making it sound ace!

you can remove the flap completely but tbh there is no need to, just disconnect it :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
encee

Post by encee »

Right lads, here`s the new beast, not that it doesn`t look the same as everyone else`s, but it would be rude not to ! :biggrin

BigVeeGrin

Re: `Storm or SP ? (Now with pics)

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:thumbup: absolutely not envious not even one little tiny bit :D
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Very nice indeed :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

looks lovely that m8.... be sure to keep it like that! :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Very nice Encee, good choice.
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
encee

Post by encee »

Nice one gents; thanks for the comments ! 8)

The weather`s actually been good here today, so after a bit of a detailing session on the new steed this morning, I was able to get out for an hour this aft on it....................what can I say.............BRILLIANT !!

This is a fantastic bike, and I`m really going to have to recalibrate (increase :oops: ) my idea of corner speed on this thing, as it`s far, far better than me. I was going round a roundabout today, not knee-down, but well over, and the SP was still ready for turning in, much quicker than I could. I could almost hear it laughing at my idea of lean-angle !! :lol:

And the motor; pure class ! The delivery on mine is buttery smooth, even at low speed, so I presume it must have had a power-commander fitted, as I had read that they can sulk a bit at low speeds, and lurch on and off ? As it stands, mine`s anything-but, and is MUCH smoother than the 2010 Aprilia Tuono that I`ve just sold on.

Second and third gear, as some of you lads will know, is utterly addictive, and I just can`t get enough of it at the moment, it really is THAT good.

Even the comfort thing has suprised me, as I`ve always heard that the SP is the original rock AND a hard place. Well okay, it`s not exactly Pan European comfortable, and whilst the bars are low, Honda have somehow done a neat trick in that you still don`t have to reach massively for them; certainly not like a cross-plane R1 that I rode recently, and as I mentioned when I opened the thread, I was a bit concerned about returning to a Sports Bike riding position, but so far the SP hasn`t proved to be a problem. I may, however, change my stance on that one when I`ve had a full day out on it somewhere........... :biggrin

No, in all seriousness, the riding position feels great at the moment, so I`ll be trying to get a few more miles in tomorrow if time permits............. 8)
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

mmmmmmm nice .........

looking forward to your next thread " should i get an SP2?"

enjoy it mate, black/red looks the dogs!
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That look very clean for its age, looks like you got a good one there.

Oh and a clean looking TR6 in the background. :thumbup:
AMcQ
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sheer Class my friend, looks like you got a good one :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
callaghan

Post by callaghan »

ahh thanx for the memories 8)
I've had both a storm & an SP1 & would happily own both again.
my thoughts on them are that the storm is the best value for money bike available bar none & the SP is an icon, though to fully appreciate it you need to be a better rider than I've ever been.
I've since moved on 1st to a blackbird & now a hayabusa, which to a rider of my limited ability & advancing years are probably better suited to me.