Headlight Bulb

General Biker Banter

Headlight Bulb

Post by Image »

OK, I know this isn't exactly a high tech question but I'm the proud new owner of a VTR 1000f and still teething. Dip light has stopped working. No doubt it's the bulb. Are the bulbs H4? Will any H4 bulb fit? Anything I should e warned about before replacing the bulb such as anything like a spring likely to go flying?
Wicky

Re: Headlight Bulb

Post by Wicky »

It's a pain but it is overall much easier and less time consuming to change the bulb by unbolting the fairing and moving it slightly forward (put a towel on the front mudguard to protect it and support it on). This will give you room to access & replace the bulb otherwise you''ll be be grazing your hand,and inventing new swear words when the retaining spring disappears into the headlight...

Undo 4 mirror bolts, 4 fairing retainer hex bolts and the two tucked away disposable plastic clip fings, and take care undoing the 3rd eye light connection when you have moved it slightly forward and then undo the headlight connection. Reattaching the fairing splay the fairing back on back over the radiators and make sure the spigots align back into guides on the fairing frame. Viola

Check if Halfords do the two-for-price-of-one 472EB H4 Extreme Brilliance (car section not motorcycle section).

Check the Workshop section / Knowledge subsection for a useful downloadable PDF Honda Service manual for the VTR.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

or if your mrs has small hands get her to do it :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

speaking of headlight bulbs,what the hightest wattage bulb you can fit without damaging anything
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stick to standard 60/55W unless you upgrade the stock wiring with an Eastern Beaver kit inc high temp ceramic h4 connector. If you go with a higher wattage bulb 80W+ then be careful of the extra heat produced effecting nearby plastics etc....
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Wicky wrote:Stick to standard 60/55W unless you upgrade the stock wiring with an Eastern Beaver kit inc high temp ceramic h4 connector. If you go with a higher wattage bulb 80W+ then be careful of the extra heat produced effecting nearby plastics etc....
you will notice as well that with higher wattage bulbs th.e spread of light is shite.
i had 130/95 rally bulbs in mine with the beaver relay kit it just lit the trees up.
also i found the hotter blb makes condensation inside the lens which will turn to droplets of water and blow the bulb.
i fixed this by putting some sachets of silica gel inside the reflector.

it works better with a good std bulb and the relay kit imo.
if it looks dim try just fitting a new bulb.

it is easy to replace the bulb without removing the fairing, just a bit fiddly the 1st time you try.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

with the lamp being plastic i just wondered what the bulb limit was without fitting the EB kit and ceramic connector....thanks for the info tho
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I found my placcy/nylon H4 bulb connector had heat damage even with a 60/55W bulb - snipped it off and soldered in a ceramic replacement (angled cable type).

Mod cost a £5.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tattoo wrote:with the lamp being plastic i just wondered what the bulb limit was without fitting the EB kit and ceramic connector....thanks for the info tho
the problem with using the standard switchgear is you cant get enough juice through the loom to give the bulb what it needs,
the beaver relay kit has whacking great leads that power the bulb straight from the battery via 25A relays.
even with the standard bulb the difference is very noticeable.

never had a problem melting the lense or plastics with the 130 main beam but then again main beam is usually only on at night when youre moving.
be carefull when fitting and removing the ceramic socket though cos theyre really brittle and can break.
i broke one miles away from home while changing a bulb and rode home on the sidelight = not a experience i ever want to repeat!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

mine did seem to be duller than usual when we were rideing home from the coast lastnight but i just put it down to the crap light they suffer with and the black visor...i'll check the holder while i'm changing the bulb later...where do you get the ceramic ones from?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tattoo

Post by tattoo »

ordered and on it's way....cheers benny
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I fit the Eastern Beaver relay kit (quick, easy, and best of all, effective) and a Hella 100/55 bulb, which allows me to run on standard (ie. 55W) around town so no excess heat to harm plastic. Once away from populated areas, where you need more lighting, you switch over to high beam (100W) and the extra lighting is very welcome. You are typically running along at higher speed then so the air cools everything down, the excess heat generated by teh higher wattage not being a problem.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I have an eastern beaver ceramic relay kit with a standard bulb as benny said, my brother moaned at me cause we has being dazzled by me sitting opposite at a junction.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

"or if your mrs has small hands get her to do it"

my dad always told me to get a girlfriend with small hands
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.