`Storm or SP ? (Now with pics)

General Bike chat
encee

Re: `Storm or SP ?

Post by encee »

Well gents, I`ve got a test-ride lined up for tomorrow on an SP1...........and also a Storm if I want to.

I`m expecting the rides to be the decider, because at the moment, heart is ruling head, and it`s the SP that I really want....................I mean, honestly, the thing, at 10 years old, is still far more attractive than most of the latest crop of sportsbikes...........it really is a CLASSIC bull of a motorcycle !!!! :twisted: 8)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

encee wrote: it`s the SP that I really want
i was after a red sp1 when i was shopping but got let down on a few so went for the firestorm instead as it was tidy & low miles.
i havent regretted it one bit, still got it & love it but now also have what i was looking for in the first place.

whatever you decide you wont be disappointed :)

btw if the sp1 feels a bit lurchy at town speeds dont let that put you off.
mine has a power commander fitted and its as smooth and tractable as you could ask for... goes down to 15mph in top and pulls away smooth and the power delivery is absolutely spot on - no flat spots or lurching :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Encee just to add my twopenneth I had a 2000 Storm and a 2006 SP2, the SP is really only happy when your out for a summer blast and wringing its neck, it will easily stay with most sports bikes on the road (maybee on a long straight they might gap you I suppose) I really enjoyed my time as an SP owner but..........the days you are just wanting to get from a to b or on trips that have many 30/40mph zones they are a pain in the anus! You can tour no problem I did quite a few big milers and there is plenty of room to move around on the seat but on a tour it usually involves planning and great roads, its the A** with the big pothole that you cant avoid and dodgy slippery bend with the off camber that you have to ride through every day that will grind you down. If you can afford two it certainly would be up there with the 'keepers' If i had to commute every day the Storm would be my choice or better still a VFR750/800. Good luck, I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
encee

Post by encee »

Beamish wrote:Encee just to add my twopenneth I had a 2000 Storm and a 2006 SP2, the SP is really only happy when your out for a summer blast and wringing its neck, it will easily stay with most sports bikes on the road (maybee on a long straight they might gap you I suppose) I really enjoyed my time as an SP owner but..........the days you are just wanting to get from a to b or on trips that have many 30/40mph zones they are a pain in the anus! You can tour no problem I did quite a few big milers and there is plenty of room to move around on the seat but on a tour it usually involves planning and great roads, its the A** with the big pothole that you cant avoid and dodgy slippery bend with the off camber that you have to ride through every day that will grind you down. If you can afford two it certainly would be up there with the 'keepers' If i had to commute every day the Storm would be my choice or better still a VFR750/800. Good luck, I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.
Cheers Beamish, thanks for the reply mate, and again; good to hear from someone that has had both 8)
encee

Post by encee »

Okay gents; thanks to all of you who have replied on this, the choice is now VERY hard, as I`ve now ridden two belters over the weekend !! 8)

Yesterday: A 10 year old SP1 in the best (IMHO) colours of red/black. What a great, great looking bike these are..............truly special ! 8) Beautiful sound from the cans on tickover, and then off we go. I was expecting to feel, immediately (because of what I had read) that it would be snatchy at low revs, and the supension akin to being sat on a builder`s plank, BUT....................I was pleasantly surprised, as it was anything-but on BOTH counts. Now I don`t know if the bike`s been fettled already in relation to these, but I found the suspension quite supple, in actual fact, and the fuelling absolutely perfect. Put it this way, the fuelling is substantially better than the low-speed fuelling on the Aprilia Tuono that I`ve just sold !!

The other thing to really surprise me on the SP1, also, was the smoothness and slickness of the thing. It was very smooth, and everything tight, and had I not known already, I would have sworn I was on a bike no more than 12 months old; it really was THAT good in the way it rode. Now for the rub; as some of you lads have mentioned, the SP really is a bike that makes the most sense when you really start to get a move on, ie: above 3 figures, when it would start to show the proper racing pedigree within. Okay, below that, it`s beautiful to ride also, and is very balanced and stable, but the excitement definitely begins further up the rev-range.

As for comfort, it quite surprised me at how well it fitted me (I`m a bit of a short-butt at only 5`9 and 13 stone), and I enjoyed the low seat-height, and the way you sit right in the bike, as opposed to perched on top.

Today: An 8 year old Firestorm in just as good a condition as the SP I`d ridden the day before. Now I`ve owned a `Storm before, many moons ago when they first came out, and to be honest, the one I rode today felt almost like a different bike ! I remembered the suspension on my last one being a bit "Mr Soft" when you really got going on it, but this one today was beautifully compliant with the crap roads, and because of that, thoroughly enjoyable to ride. Another odd thing was the power. Okay, I always remember the `Storm as being nice and quick low-down, and very torquey to boot, but again, this one today surprised me further in that it certainly FELT like it had more low-down torque than both the SP1.........and the Tuono (2010 bike) that I`ve just come from. Okay, not massively more, but definitely noticeable ?? I must admit, I went into the test-ride feeling that the `Storm would be the gentle-one out of these 2 bikes (and indeed the Tuono), but feck me, it REALLY surprised me in proving me completely wrong. In fact, I`d go so far as to say that at more "normal" road speeds, the `Storm would be a touch more potent than the Tuono, in the right hands ?

So gents, that`s now my dilemma. In terms of condition, I cannot split these two. The `Storm has a few thou less on the clock, and some service history to back it up, and is also over £600 cheaper than the SP1, which has no service history at all, but rides just as well, and is in just as good a condition, albeit 2 years older.

Again, it`s a PITA, but it still comes down to heart V head.

The SP is a beautiful motorcycle that you can honestly just stand in your garage staring at. As somebody said, it looks like it`s doing a ton when it`s stopped..........it`s THAT good !
The `Storm, on the other hand, if I`m brutally honest, is the one out the two that I`ve enjoyed riding most, and seeing as it`s also going to be used for my daily commute, would seem to make most sense..............but these are Motorbikes FFS.............so when did "sense" ever come into it ?????????

I dunno which I`m having lads, but I`ll keep you posted, and thanks again !! 8)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The only thing I can think to add, and it comes from someone who has only owned a Storm, is that there are a multitude of things you can do to a Storm, both aesthetically & performance wise, that enhance and personalise it.
The SP would seem to be finished as it comes, with a few possible exceptions.
But as I say I am still loving my Storm and mucking about both on and off of it.
Best of luck with the decision making process, not a bad dilema to have.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
encee

Post by encee »

Kev L wrote:The only thing I can think to add, and it comes from someone who has only owned a Storm, is that there are a multitude of things you can do to a Storm, both aesthetically & performance wise, that enhance and personalise it.
The SP would seem to be finished as it comes, with a few possible exceptions.
But as I say I am still loving my Storm and mucking about both on and off of it.
Best of luck with the decision making process, not a bad dilema to have.
Wow Kev, that`s uncanny ! I was just having a look at the "pimp your ride" section on here, and thinking that the `Storm is more likely to be personalised to an individual`s taste than the SP, which is already "finished", so to speak, when I just happened to check this post again and see that you had posted up exactly the same thing ! 8O

Just been having a look at the bellypan on Jim67`s bike (think it`s Jim67 ? ), and for me, that`s the best one I`ve seen on a Firestorm yet. Unfortunate thing is Jim`s was made by Skidmarx, but looking on their website now, doesn`t look as though they do them any more......... :(
tattie

Post by tattie »

Encee,
Not, sure if you have made the final descision yet but having had a 97 storm for 8 years I moved on to an SP (just over 2 years ago) for a few reasons, the main one was because I could afford it and also because I had lusted after one for a long time.
The lad I bought mine from had the suspension worked and had gone up 2 teeth on the back sprocket (quite flighty on anything but sooth roads) + he also fitted a steering damper. :thumbup:
Comparisons; I feel the SP is more comfy than the storm due to the tank being higher resulting in less weight upon the wrists, it is lumpy in town or for 30/40 but it wasn't meant to be tootled along but the storm was lumpy as well
It does handle better the quicker you go, but that is what it is meant to do, mind you the storm was just as quick but needed work on the suspension to be more forgiving at higher speeds + top speed comparisons have never bothered me.
Both get pretty hot if you are around towning etc
If you can afford it go for the SP and if you do not like it you can always change for a storm or even better go for both.

Cheers

A.M.
Last edited by tattie on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Common sense ain't all that common!
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Encee,

I became an "accidental" V twin owner a couple of months ago when I swapped one of my bikes for a Storm. I was hooked after the first ride, so much so that last week I was lucky enough to find an SP1 for a good price and now I have both :D

In my short time of ownership I have found that they are both cracking bikes in their own way. Both have amazing grunt low down and both put a grin on your face from ear to ear. IMHO though, if you are looking for a daily commuter I think the storm would better fit the bill but to own a piece of Ducati beating history that, as you say, feels as fresh today as it did 11 years ago and looks the dogs bo**ocks to boot, then the SP is the bike to have.

I know it doesn`t help you much but beg, steal, borrow, give up booze/fags/gambling/whatever other vice you can live without and get both :thumbup:

Regards

Tim

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Great write up Encee, you have it nailed I reckon. The Storm will always do what you want when you want it to, it will out gun most bikes from the lights and wheely on demand, it will also give you great pleasure hunting down so called better bikes........the only thing I would say is which bike would you really want to polish? Which bike will make you smile when you pop to the garage and open the door? If you can live with the low speed niggles and over 70% of your riding is for pleasure buy the SP1. I mean if you change your mind you can always buy a storm and sell the SP, at least you wont be the one who says, nearly bought one of those......always lusted after one :biggrin
Good luck......

Jim
(ex SP owner who doesnt regret owning one in the slightest)
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

encee wrote: Just been having a look at the bellypan on Jim67`s bike (think it`s Jim67 ? ), and for me, that`s the best one I`ve seen on a Firestorm yet. Unfortunate thing is Jim`s was made by Skidmarx, but looking on their website now, doesn`t look as though they do them any more......... :(
Encee, this thread has been a very interesting read :D Having never owned an SP1 I can't comment on the pro's and con's between the two bikes, so good luck in whichever bike you end up getting.

As for the Skidmarx bellypan, they seem to be still listing them here:-
http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/_skidmarx/sec ... intro.html

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

got the skidmarx belly on mine atm - they fit nice but they do make it overheat a bit.
might refit the pyramid onre over winter for that reason.
got mine for £40 btw so keep your eyes open.. they do come up now & then :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
encee

Post by encee »

Right lads, FINALLY made the decision.

After massive consideration all week, and ordering one, then giving back-word to the dealer ( :oops: ), and ordering the other, I finally settled on.................................THE SP1 !!!!

Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaa, what a bike this is, the torque, the power, the handling, the balance, the sound, and last but not least, the looks !!

This bike is fantastic, and whilst the Firestorm is also a great, great bike (had one before remember), the SP is different again, and just more suited to what I want from a bike at the moment.

So lads, thanks to ALL of you who`ve given your comments and opinions on this thread, as one or two of the comments really DID help me to make the decision in the end.....................cheers !! :clap: 8)
turbo_billy

Re: `Storm or SP ? (Updated)

Post by turbo_billy »

We all like a happy ending :thumbup: ......now enjoy the bike and don`t be shy and put a picture up. :D
encee

Re: `Storm or SP ? (Updated)

Post by encee »

turbo_billy wrote:We all like a happy ending :thumbup: ......now enjoy the bike and don`t be shy and put a picture up. :D
LOL, cheers Billy, and the pics`ll be coming tomorrow when I`ve had the chance to give it a bit of a detailing session........... :thumbup: