Intro..and failed CCT's

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
andy.vtr

Intro..and failed CCT's

Post by andy.vtr »

Hi all.

Just bought a 1998 Storm, the second one I have owned,, after 2 weeks of riding it,,Bang!! clatter, clatter,,,,,, you guessed it,,cct failure on the front cylinder.

Upon stripping front cylinder all four valves completely knackered,(am trying to post photos ???),What a bummer!!
Am on long term sickness and was looking for a project to do,didn't quite mean like this tho!!

Will try and keep informed as i go.

Previos bikes include,,zzr1100,,Firestom 1997, SP1.

Also own an XJR1300 which is used on weekends for me and the wife.
darkember

Re: Intro..and failed CCT's

Post by darkember »

Welcome & very bad luck on the CCT. I just wish u had seen this site sooner to understand how vulnerable they are.
andy.vtr

Post by andy.vtr »

Yeah,,me too!!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

welcome and OUCH!!!..
Simon-l

Post by Simon-l »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Frank Fan Club Member 001
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome andy
good luck with the rebuild, everything you will need to know is in the workshop section, lets hope you have some better luck in the future....... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bonding opportunity, just don't sell it as soon as it's fixed.

A lot of us discovered this forum at exactly the same point.... :wave:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome, sorry about the circumstance of the initiation, but it is easy to fix, and then you can have fun again :thumbup:
AMcQ
Saige

Post by Saige »

hi,welcome to the forum,sorry about the cct problem.
its not as bad as you think.it would just be easier to find a complete head and replace.
if it was me,i would take out the rear head too and service and replace gaskets.so both or up too spec at the same interval.
there is a sister site here in the states that has alot of info too,join up and poke around http://www.superhawkforum.com
saige
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Saige wrote:hi,welcome to the forum,sorry about the cct problem.
its not as bad as you think.it would just be easier to find a complete head and replace.
if it was me,i would take out the rear head too and service and replace gaskets.so both or up too spec at the same interval.
there is a sister site here in the states that has alot of info too,join up and poke around http://www.superhawkforum.com
What?

Apart from the valve shims, what on earth are you going to service?

Usually when a CCT lets go it doesn't damage the valve guides, so they're reusable, even on the damaged head.

The valves themselves don't wear, only the guides, and with Storms these will last the lifetime of the engine.
The bucket design reduces any sideways forces on the valve stem that you normally get with an adjustable tappet in a rocker arm.

The head gasket is either sealing ok or not, again it's not a consumable item, and there's nothing else in the head that has a recommended replacement limit in the maintenance schedule.

The CCT certainly needs to be dealt with as a pair, so if you replace the front one with a manual, there's no point NOT doing the same with the rear one, but apart from that, I'd recommend leaving well enough alone, assuming that you don't have any reason to disturb the other head, such as a coolant leak, low compression, or rattling noise after the shims have been properly set.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
andy.vtr

Post by andy.vtr »

Thanks to all for your replys.
Have managed to get hold of a front cylinder head ,complete with vaves,shims etc, etc,,will completely service these items ,then will follow the links posted on the workshop forums to re do the timing on both rear and front cylinders,,,
fire her up and hopefully ,bobs your uncle>>>>>>>>>>,,

Will update asap. :!:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good luck, it is fairly easy, but as it is the front head access is tight..............make sure you clean all round the frame, top yokes, and oil cooler so that no crap drops in when you have the head off. and also stuff rags into the cam chain tunnel to stop any bolts dropping in there!
AMcQ
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Hello
Sorry Mate
I did the "Stopper Mod" on mine which is cheap ,works and is easy to do but although it cures the failures it doesn't stop the chain running too tight.After a lot of thought I do think that a manual adjuster conversion is best.Set the tension so that the chain can be slid side to side on the cam sprockets with your fingers but not lifted. The original
runs so tight that you cannot do this.I first thought that the original self compensated but this is not so.
I think Honda should foot the bill no matter how old the bike.
andy.vtr

Post by andy.vtr »

oh dear, i think i've f***** up.

The cylinder head i purchased off ebay was from a 2000 model,,mine is a 1998, they are different!!!!!!
Does any one know if Honda changed the design in this year to help solve the cct problem?
Many thanks.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Shouldn't be different* - Are you sure it's not a rear head you've received.

What can you see that's different? Pics?

* http://www.ronayers.com/WhereUsed/N/9935 Front Cylinder head part no. 12010-MBB-305 Used from 97 - 05
andy.vtr wrote:oh dear, i think i've f***** up.

The cylinder head i purchased off ebay was from a 2000 model,,mine is a 1998, they are different!!!!!!
Does any one know if Honda changed the design in this year to help solve the cct problem?
Many thanks.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts