Project Firestorm

General Bike chat
jdugen

Project Firestorm

Post by jdugen »

Hi all

I've detailed my progress with this one, mostly in the workshop section, but now I can post in the general, i.e. bike running forum!
Once past the erratic fuelling episode, I finally had a working motorcycle, time to evaluate. Unusually, its rebirth co-incided with some of the hottest weather on record, now that NEVER happens to me. So, it was out for some long mid-week shakedown rides. Trouble with riding in the week is that all my back up riders are working so it gets a bit lonely, but, off I set. I did a couple of easy jaunts up the M61 to Preston for a look around Fastline and a butty and brew. Mway cruising was such a relaxed affair that I didnt realise I had spent most of it in 5th! It revs so low (and comfortably) that I started to see the the meaning of 'deceptive' in the road test descriptions. Spent a little time tweaking the slow running idle mixture to smooth out a bit of hunting at slow speed, thats as nice now as I'll ever get it
Took it for a weekend ride out to the Yorkshire Dales, the weather had turned a bit grey but brightened up as we rode. Once again, it performed well, I doubt if I had it out of 3rd gear much along the country roads to Grassington. On the journey back, the fuel light came on at Bury, 90 miles dead before reserve..... Average for a 'Storm, but a bit limiting for 'touring'.
A good friend has taken a shine to the beast and wanted a proper ride. He's been through its progress with me, from a lurching thing at any speed to the smooth bullet that it is now. I have to admit, he can take this Bull by the horns whilst I am still very aware of its ability to bite. This Sunday was a wet and miserable affair, thought I would be tucked up in front of the telly watching BSB but, no, Pete wanted his ride. We didnt go far, just a run up to Rivington and then the backroad around Rivington Pike. Its a switchback, narrow road, more of a lane, with the roads streaming with water. He went over Rivi in those conditions faster than I would chance it in the dry! Some people have that ability. Even though we were soaked, he had a grin like a Cheshire cat, So, its definitely a Marmite bike. Some can get the very best out of them, some (me) have a little bit too much of the self presevation gene.
I've put it on the 'Bay as I consider it a job well done, but Pete is trying to persuade his woman that having three bikes isnt such a big deal (not very succesfully as I write). Its been a steep learning curve and a lesson to me. Big twins are the brutal side of biking, but very satisfying when it all comes together. The ideal tool for some riders, a bit of a nightmare for others. One thing I have noticed is that the 'storm is becoming a rarity on the road, and it still gets nods of approval from the biking masses. I would guess that these will soon start to become 'collectable' so take care of yours, they are a little bit of biking history.
Opel

Re: Project Firestorm

Post by Opel »

Good stuff :D You have a tallent for telling a good yarn...

....big twins are the brutal side of biking Like it. 8)

I would keep it if I was you.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Beautifully written, sad you think the storm has to go, what will you do with the life changing amount cash it will liberate :D

I am not sure I could go back to an IL4, I have one sitting under wraps and ok its quick enough but soooo bland. Still good luck, will miss the prose if you go :beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

BUT:
you haven't done many miles on it yet, and these bikes take a bit of getting used to.

Also, there's a lot of satisfaction in riding a big vee well, and it's nowhere near as easy to get onto and ride fast as an il4.

What you seem to be saying is that your mate rides quicker than you, well, we've all got mates that do that.

Lastly, your rides seem to be motorways and dual carriageways, not exactly the routes I'd choose to let the thing stretch its legs.

Give up if you want, and buy another bland il4, or man up.....
and give it a chance.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
phild

Post by phild »

Tonys right,

get youself on some nice b roads, on your own, and get used to riding the torque in 3rd and 4th dont try ringing its neck. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Try the road from Settle to Ribblehead it was specially made for V twins!!