Best bike

General Bike chat
gilson

Best bike

Post by gilson »

290615183525. This has to be the best buy. Comparing it to other RC8s it seems the best. Lovely!
No bike (yet).
Jonesey

Re: Best bike

Post by Jonesey »

For that kind of money you could get a very nice OW01!!
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
gilson

Best bike

Post by gilson »

Hi Chris, is that a race specced yamaha? For that money I'd buy an xr650 with knobblies, and a firestorm and several European track weekend. Not going to happen as I've new bathrooms to install and many more things that demand money. No complaints though.

I'd favour a BMW hp2 sport rather than the KTM. They are more expensive but far more exclusive and beautiful. ;)

Enviable position to be in, good luck.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

[quote="gilson"] For that money I'd buy an xr650 with knobblies, and a firestorm and several European track weekend.

I'd favour a BMW hp2 sport rather than the KTM. They are more expensive but far more exclusive and beautiful. ;)

quote]

Gilson....a man after my own heart :thumbup:

Have a dirt bike [or 2] a fun road bike, do some track days and overseas off roading.............and I too think the HP2 Sport is one of the best real world exotic superbikes

:beer:

life is good
AMcQ
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

Be careful when considering 'blades. The uderseat pipe models had a tendancy to split their cylinders between 1 -2 pots (overbored to much). The fugly latest model burns oil If you are one of the unlucky people, it gets through a Litre every 1000 miles..... Eeeek! Its been a hot topic on the 'blade forum for the last four years.
The crossplane R1 is very vibey and tends to slow roast its rider.
If you can get past the slightly iffy build qulity, the 1000 Suzukis seem to be a very good bet, except for the earlier ones that 'might' have had a problem with frames breaking in half........
All this latest breed of Hyper dyper sport 1000's are really pushing reliability for a road bike. Good looking though (except for the Honda).
If you have 7K in your hand, most dealers will treat you like a king, especially now that the 'season' is drawing to a close. Just point at what you want and waft the money under their nostrils, I'll gaurantee you'll be able to do a deal.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

gilson wrote:290615183525. This has to be the best buy. Comparing it to other RC8s it seems the best. Lovely!
Hmm, that is a nice find there, and at £7500 pretty cheap I think
gilson wrote:
Hmm, like the look, but not enough power in afraid. I want something a bit mental and something you cant open the throttle fully without having to change your undies.
jdugen wrote:Be careful when considering 'blades. The uderseat pipe models had a tendancy to split their cylinders between 1 -2 pots (overbored to much). The fugly latest model burns oil If you are one of the unlucky people, it gets through a Litre every 1000 miles..... Eeeek! Its been a hot topic on the 'blade forum for the last four years.
Oh really? That sounds pretty bad, I never realised that they had problems like this. More research needed I think.

jdugen wrote:The crossplane R1 is very vibey and tends to slow roast its rider.
What do you mean vibey? Since posting this I have found some 09 R1 big bang thingys that are cheap enough. One with like 4000 miles for £7000 and in white. Looked ideal and if I already had that cash in my hand, I would have probably bought it there and then, but unfortunately wont have the cash until November pay day so no doubt will be sold by then.

jdugen wrote:If you can get past the slightly iffy build qulity, the 1000 Suzukis seem to be a very good bet, except for the earlier ones that 'might' have had a problem with frames breaking in half........
Is the 'iffy' build quality of the Suzukis really true? I have always liked the look of them, and the twin exhausts of the newer gixxers, but always had that crap build quality thought in the back of my head.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMCQ46 wrote:in last months FastBikes they reviewed 2nd hand sports bikes under £6k and the Blade won hands down........Could scan it if you want

I would still chase after the RC8..........much more character than a blade

PDF sent to your e-mail
AMcQ
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Miztaziggy wrote:
Is the 'iffy' build quality of the Suzukis really true? I have always liked the look of them, and the twin exhausts of the newer gixxers, but always had that crap build quality thought in the back of my head.

They are fine as long as you are fastidious with keeping them clean. And the snapped frames thing was in mcn a few weeks back 8O
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:

PDF sent to your e-mail
Thank you, interesting reading!!

One point though - it talks quite a bit about the big bang R1 and says that the 08 model is still used for racing as the big bang model is far too slow. I would have thought they were supposed to be quicker? Why are they so much slower? :think:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Miztaziggy wrote: One point though - it talks quite a bit about the big bang R1 and says that the 08 model is still used for racing as the big bang model is far too slow. I would have thought they were supposed to be quicker? Why are they so much slower? :think:
Iirc the big bang engine firing configuration was never designed to make a higher top speed. The idea behind it was to give the back tyre better grip when accelerating out of a corner on the race track. This helped to give a quicker lap time.

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you want to remain Vtwin then the KTM is the way to go warning though the parts are dear.

Another option: you could keep the Storm & get a really tasty SP2, they are becoming quite collectable now, & have change to take the missus on a vacation.

I would avoid the BMW as they seem to have this o'ring issue at around 10-12K miles where the engine needs to be split to replace it.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm not going to recommend a bike for you to buy, that's far too much of a personal decision, and I'm not you....
But what made you buy the Storm in the first place, and what made you enjoy it?

Also, what pissed you off with it?
The answers to those questions are where your future lies....

In my experience, each bike leads to its own frustrations and loves, and leads you to think that the next one will be perfect- but of course it isn't and that then leads you to another one, etc, etc.

The problem is, your own ideals drift ever further out of reach as you get nearer them,just like perfect carb balance settings........
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

tony.mon wrote:I'm not going to recommend a bike for you to buy, that's far too much of a personal decision, and I'm not you....
But what made you buy the Storm in the first place, and what made you enjoy it?

Also, what pissed you off with it?
The answers to those questions are where your future lies....

In my experience, each bike leads to its own frustrations and loves, and leads you to think that the next one will be perfect- but of course it isn't and that then leads you to another one, etc, etc.

The problem is, your own ideals drift ever further out of reach as you get nearer them,just like perfect carb balance settings........
Very good points Tony.

To be honest im not looking for a recommendation, more of a helping hand to steer, either toward something I might not have thought of, or away from something that might be bad.

Some of the answers so far have been bang on, with interesting info about the problems the blades have, and the idea of the BMW HP2 which although I wouldnt buy, was a bike I had never even heard of so was glad to take a look and consider.

As for the storm, I bought it because it was cheap and I was trying to get some money together. Also for the £1500 budget I had, the storm was by far and away the best bike I think I could have got.

What pisses me off? The lack of top end power, the fact that it is 14 years old and things seem to break when I take them apart and lastly the soft and squishy front suspension.

Yes I could upgrade it and sort the suspension but I dont think I could ever get it as good as a factory made late model pure sports bike.

And I think what you say about searching for perfection is correct, I have no doubt ill buy something, and within a year something bigger, newer, faster and louder will be released and ill want one of those.

After reading more reviews tonight, im now seriously thinking about a 1098...found this and is this or is this not just one of the best ever looking bikes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-1098s- ... 500wt_1202

I just cant decide if I am prepared to spend so much time on the back of an AA truck or taking it into the repair shop in a van :crazy:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Trouble is, as soon as you buy a 1098, you'll start seeing 1198's.

Personally, I'd buy something that makes you happy, whatever it is.
Then start saving for upgrades,or the next one....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Anyone ridden an MV Agusta F4 1000?

Are they good? Do they break down as often as Ducatis?