Air mixture screw made easy.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jdugen

Air mixture screw made easy.

Post by jdugen »

Had a good look through the archive, not found anyone mentioning this.
Adjusting the mixture air screw is damn near impossible as the carb bottoms (the bit with the pilot screw) are tight up against the cylinders. There is a scein of cables and hoses in there, plus the expansion bottle.
It is simple, the water bottle can be slid out, with a bit of origami, take the bottles breather pipe out of the bunch hanging down by the side of the front cylinder. The water bottle is secured with an 8mm head bolt under the R/H frame spar. With this removed the bottle can be wiggled out leaving you with clear and easy access to the airscrews. Adjustment when the engine is warm can have a remarkable effect on the tickover / low rpm performance.
tony.mon

Re: Air mixture screw made easy.

Post by tony.mon »

Search for mixture screw tool, Benny Hedges beat you to it.
His works, too!
:thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

Cant find a reference to it, but I'm guessing its a springy screwdriver idea? They are OK in their way, but being able to approach the airscrew diectly and feel your adjustment will always do it for me,

Cheers
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

jdugen wrote:Cant find a reference to it, but I'm guessing its a springy screwdriver idea? They are OK in their way, but being able to approach the airscrew diectly and feel your adjustment will always do it for me,

Cheers
I agree. If you are having a screw you should be able to feel it.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

jdugen wrote:Cant find a reference to it, but I'm guessing its a springy screwdriver idea? They are OK in their way, but being able to approach the airscrew diectly and feel your adjustment will always do it for me,

Cheers
no springyness at all. turn the end 1/4 turn & the driver end moves 1/4 turn - dead easy to make. :thumbup:

the one with the yellow crimps was easiest to make & works best.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

Nope. Getting a screwdriver right on the airscrew, turning it in till it grounds and then adjusting it in small increments is the only, truly accurate way. I'm done in about five minutes including removing, replacing the overflow bottle. BTW, that damn thing is being relocated right out of the way, stupid place to put it, who actually designed this thing? (Saw somewhere that the American branch of Honda had a big part in producing this design.... Now that WOULD figure).