airbox

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jdugen

airbox

Post by jdugen »

Just having a quick mooch around E-Bay and came accross this. Item:- 220862665248 Its totally different to mine. Is this an SP1/2 box or an improved 'strom one?
(I'm a bit preoccupied with airboxes at the moment after the last week \i've had)
benny hedges

Re: airbox

Post by benny hedges »

its definately not off a firestorm m8.
this is an sp airbox http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR-100 ... 5ada293289

why do you need an airbox? is it to modify??? i got one for £15.
be patient - they do pop up now & then :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

Hi
After discovering that the 'storm WONT run, at all, without the front plastic baffle fitted (the bit that fits between fornt carb and the headstock area), I am going to 'look' at this.
Air turbulance destroys any semblance of smooth running above 60MPH if this bit of plastic is missing (BELIEVE ME!!!) (I'll put a few more !!!!!!!!'s in, just in case you missed my point)
So, this means that the downward facing airbox snorkel is now breathing the hot, as in HOT air circuating around the cylinders.... This is not a good thing,,, at ALL!.
The 'storms fairing is a thin, pointy thing with little frontal area, not much still air in there. In fact, the whole design of the chassis is 'thin' and closely wrapped around a lump that generated heat like a nuclear reactor. Honda tacitly admit this fact, the rear cyinder has a larger main jet than the front, that should be enough to set off warning bells.
The only area I can see, so far, that is far enough away from engine heat, and with a sufficient still air area is the uderseat compartment. I will be fabricating some smooth bore hoses from this area into the BACK of the airbox, (blanking off the snorkel) and plastering the airbox itself in heat resistant foil. I will then lead a good cooling duct from the front area through to the top of the engine area to keep the airbox as cool as possible.
Carbs hate to be hot, they hate hot air even worse, I love a challenge, and this beast has more challenges than Doom.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

uh??? i dont run with the intake snorkel m8.... & mine is quick one!
it's good to have cool air coming in but you have to watch for carb icing with the rapid vaporisation of fuel, hence the heater pipes....interesting idea though. but you may have trouble getting the tubes to fit between the back of the tank / seat & rear cam cover though as there's not much room
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
jdugen

Post by jdugen »

I can see now why running withut the snorkel would give some fuelling improvments, that would put the intake area behing the headstock in relatively still, but cooler air. That was to be my next, interim move, good to have confirmation that it does make a difference.
And yes, now I have a little light, I can see what you mean, this frame is a TIGHT fit, not much room to mount the large diameter tubing it would need.
I'll get the snorkel out first and report back.

Cheers.
muppet

Post by muppet »

Funny thing the quest for best airbox mod, as i only use my bike for drag racing im running with standard airbox without air filter but have moulded a new fibreglass snorkle same shape a standard but bigger volume. with 210 main jets, both the carbs are fully isolated from engine heat and it does pull strong all the way through the rev range, will be out on the strip in a couple of weeks so will find out for sure if it works, i must say its very easy to get hooked on the ultimate system but i think that in a lot of cases we can spend a lot of time trying to get 1.5 - 2 hp increase but end up with something that is actually less efficient than the standard setup,but wheres is the fun in that :thumbup: