So it wasnt the plugs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stormingjoe

Re: So it wasnt the plugs

Post by stormingjoe »

Did you knock hoses off, and either not replace correctly or fitted wrong, can happen when lifting tank, did you take seat off :?:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

stormingjoe wrote:Did you knock hoses off, and either not replace correctly or fitted wrong, can happen when lifting tank, did you take seat off :?:
No, I have checked the hoses and what not and all fine. The problem started before I changed the plugs, but after I did an oil change, refitted exhausts and washed it. I had the seat off a few times, and at one point, it rained a bit when seat was off. Water might have got under there a bit, but changed coil under there and checked the other connections since.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

Ok.
You checked for sparks in dark and found none, etc. As it got wet, check the connections, just behind the tank and also the ECU at the rear, but these would be dry now but worth a nose to check they are clean, spray very sparingly with wd40(don't use to much, clean up excess) or electrical spray. Have you checked the charging circuit as over/under voltage can cause miss-fire and power loss. :?:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

Video fairly normal with the airbox off.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

Have you completley drained the fuel out of the tank and replaced with fresh fuel, try 97ron. Not supermarket fuel, go BP/Shell or my preference Murco.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

stormingjoe wrote:Video fairly normal with the airbox off.
Ok, even with the chu chu noise the back cylinder makes?
stormingjoe wrote:Have you completley drained the fuel out of the tank and replaced with fresh fuel, try 97ron. Not supermarket fuel, go BP/Shell or my preference Murco.
No not yet, but did think about that and thought it might be worth doing?
stormingjoe wrote:Ok.
You checked for sparks in dark and found none, etc. As it got wet, check the connections, just behind the tank and also the ECU at the rear, but these would be dry now but worth a nose to check they are clean, spray very sparingly with wd40(don't use to much, clean up excess) or electrical spray. Have you checked the charging circuit as over/under voltage can cause miss-fire and power loss. :?:
Ok will try the WD40. Will water still have an effect even if dry now?
I havent checked charging circuit no...
Miztaziggy

So it wasnt the plugs

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just borrowed a multi meter. Going to check the things from the service manual across the loom connections from ignition unit.

Anything else I should/could check with it while I have it?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ive go a spare ecu & cdi if you want to try them m8
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

So it wasnt the plugs

Post by Miztaziggy »

benny hedges wrote:ive go a spare ecu & cdi if you want to try them m8
Might take you up on that mate if fuel and compression check don't solve it.

I'm desperate to solve the problem now, with only a few weeks of this season left before bike goes into hibernation, I want at least one or two more good ride outs.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

have a ride down at weekend m8 & we' give it a going over... might be summat obvious youve missed :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Just found now that the black connector in the little block of connectors under the seat was not fully clipped together. No idea if that was the cause of my problems yet, as bike is in bits while I work out how to replace the little black thing that the choke cable goes in to.

According to the manual that black connector is:
OIL PRESSURE SWITCH,'
NEUTRAL SWITCH
2P (BLACK) CONNECTOR.

Does that mean it is both measuring oil pressure and neutral at the same time?
Would this being loose cause a hesitation/misfire at 6k rpm? Im thinking maybe vibration at that specific RPM was resonating and causing it to not connect?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

its something else to rule out m8.
it's not unknown for the sidestand switch do the same thing too.... easily cured by bypassing it.