New here, and to VTR's.120km per tank? help...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thunder

Post by thunder »

Hi everyone, I'm Thorbjorn and have just bought a VTR '99 after selling my cb750k (1974).

I've been riding a few weeks now and the bike is Fantastic (especially compared to the old one.)

I have a pretty loud exhaust system on (scorch, a South African brand) and will be putting the original cans back on for roadworthy.

Fuel consumption: I've been searching and everybody seems to be getting much higher mileage per tank than me. I get 120km on a full tank before the light comes on(so using 14.3 liters), and this is rarely going over 5000rpm.The tank is filled with the bike on side stand.(+- a liter loss?)
The bike has 30 000km on her and has been really well looked after(services etc).

I don't think the owner messed with the jets as he didn't seem the type.

What would you guys recommend as my next steps in am attempt to get a bit better mileage, as most people seem to be taking 160-180km per tank.
she idles well around 1300, responsive to the throttle etc...

Any help you could give me on this will be great, especially as some gas stations are about 100km or more apart.

....or do i just suck it up(pun intended) and ride around with a jerry can :D

Thanks
Thor
tony.mon

Re: New here, and to VTR's.120km per tank? help...

Post by tony.mon »

These bikes are always a bit thirsty, and older ones only have a 16 litre tank.
You can fit the 19 litre tank form later ones, have a search for this on the forum.

Just be careful, the reserve's not very large either.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
thunder

Post by thunder »

Cheers. Getting a bigger tank would be ideal, but expensive getting it here. I was thinking 120km per tank was lower than normal? if there isn't a common problem that causes this i guess i will have to ride accordingly.
Before i bought it i saw guys were getting 200+- to a tank, but that might've been the bigger ones.
Tx , Thor :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't ride accordingly, just fill up more often than they have to.

No point riding it slowly, you'll hold your mates up worse that way!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Rad_Draven

Post by Rad_Draven »

I usually do 100 milles, 160kms until the red light appears. And when it happens, you should have the petrol station spotted. xD
thunder

Post by thunder »

Thanks for the tips. been looking over some of the other posts concerning fuel consumption , and i think I've got a couple of things to check, first off being air filter.
Gonna get a Honda one tomorrow, and have a look, on a long ride (highway miles) on Saturday.
Also today i got me some original canisters that I've put on, so I'm hoping that might have something to do with it?
Some threads mentioned running at too low an RPM, like below 3000.
Will check on the highway averaging about 4000-4500?
also i have a 4 carb sycher, which i will hook up and see they are balanced.(should be arriving in the next week or so)

Any other advice as i would love to get 160 km outta a tank.(16liter)
Anyhow, tx for the advice (i know there are a lot of these fuel threads and much is repeating info to newcomers like myself)

Willlet you know mileage on Sun/mon.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

120km doesnt sound too far off if you are on a 16litre tank.

Mine does about 80-90 miles (120-140km) until light then takes 13-14 litres.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Humm well that is odd possibly the pre 02 models are really thirsty. I was on a rideout with some friends last weekend. It was a little damp so the speed was kept down however, I was managing 50mpg on full tank to re-fill & doing the maths.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

You will find that if you hammer it everywhere you go, you will get higher mileage. I know Im not the only one that has a bike that is ridiculously thirsty low down in the rev range but but no where near as bad higher up.

When I ride with my wife (she rides a 125) I get about 120-130 miles because Im going everywhere at 2000 rpm. When Im out for a fast ride I get 100-110 and I thrash the tits off it. When Im commuting I get about 70 miles and Im using the midrange much more. Odd but true.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
thunder

Post by thunder »

Weird going's on. put the new pipes on and I'm on 140km (my highest mileage so far) and no reserve light so far.... :D . So filling up tomorrow, going a long ride til reserve and will see. But i am guessing the pipes definitely have something to do with it.
Been working on keeping it smooth. Aiming to get it around 160km per tank.
azvtr1000rider

Post by azvtr1000rider »

I own a 99 with 2000 miles. I get 110 miles, 177 Km, on a tank. I must have the smaller tank based on model year. Idle speed less than 1000 rpm. I don't ride aggressively! Stock exhaust.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.346923,-111.815821
thunder

Post by thunder »

I am so in love with this bike it's not funny. Did 1000km on Saturday and Sunday.On long sweeping roads i am getting about +-180 k's per tank(I'm guessing as i filled up every 140km or so but and definately averaging about 15.5 km per litre. :D .
This is FANTASTIC news. Now I'm going to rack up some serious miles. Spent 7 hours in the saddle on Saturday, and it felt like 2 hours did on my old Cb750k.Even the aches and pains i felt over the first two day i had her have resolved themselves (training new muscles).I never knew the old exhausts would make such a difference.Tx for the help.