Front end paddock stand

General Bike chat
Ilson Lad

Front end paddock stand

Post by Ilson Lad »

Evening lads, I need to remove the front wheel, calipers etc to repaint the lower forks which are looking a bit scabby. I cant afford an abba stand so its got to be one of the cheaper types but which works best on the storm? :? Under the fork ends or thru the head stock?
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end
alec

Re: Front end paddock stand

Post by alec »

Ilson Lad wrote:Evening lads, I need to remove the front wheel, calipers etc to repaint the lower forks which are looking a bit scabby. I cant afford an abba stand so its got to be one of the cheaper types but which works best on the storm? :? Under the fork ends or thru the head stock?
i used a trolley jack and bit of ply under the sump mate.
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

If you have anything you can hang the bike from, just get some rope around your top yolk and frame where they join and hoist it up in the air with that.

I did mine like that, hoisted it up with a jack, tightened the rope, then it gives you enough clearance to take off the wheel, calipers and then drop the forks. Believe me it is so much easier to sand and paint the forks properly if you get them off. Plus you will probably avoid a bad finish on the paint and you will avoid any overspray on the bike.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

I haven't got anything or anywhere to hoist it up so apart from a paddock stand, I can try the jack under the sump trick :wink: At least thats for free!
Should I place the bike on a rear paddock stand when jacking under the motor?
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yeah, put back on paddock stand. It is very liable to fall over though with a gust of wind or something if you use a jack under oil sump. Be careful.

To hoist it up, do you not have a set of A frame ladders? Or some timber you can make a frame from like in the photo?
alec

Post by alec »

Miztaziggy wrote:Yeah, put back on paddock stand. It is very liable to fall over though with a gust of wind or something if you use a jack under oil sump. Be careful.

To hoist it up, do you not have a set of A frame ladders? Or some timber you can make a frame from like in the photo?
or put a couple of axle stands somewhere safe like under the swing arm or front foot rests
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I found the rear paddock stand and jack under the engine to be stable enough with a couple of provisos

1. Don't whatever you do remove the rear wheel :-) The weight of it keeps the back on the stand and removing it WILL lead to a tip over!

2. Loosen all the bolts off beforehand so you're not swinging any weight on it while its in the air

WRT front stand, if you are looking to buy one I'd definitely recommend the under headstock type over the under for type due their added usefulness.
You can remove forks for servicing etc

Or for probably less money ask a local engineering shop to make this

Really simple and allows you to do pretty much everything on the bike really safely
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Opel

Post by Opel »

Good grief Wicky... you would've had a full time job and a trade for life 200 years ago, making things like that... very imaginative :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Ilson Lad wrote:I haven't got anything or anywhere to hoist it up ?
you could put a stepladder over the bike & use it as an A frame, lifting it with ratchet straps either under the top yoke or if you are removing the yokes too, use the recess in the frame behind the headstock.

also handy for getting the swing arm off... by lifting from the subframe top tubes with the ratchet strap hooks.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

benny hedges wrote:
Ilson Lad wrote:I haven't got anything or anywhere to hoist it up ?
you could put a stepladder over the bike & use it as an A frame, lifting it with ratchet straps either under the top yoke or if you are removing the yokes too, use the recess in the frame behind the headstock.

also handy for getting the swing arm off... by lifting from the subframe top tubes with the ratchet strap hooks.
Ingenious dear sir :D
tinysmall

Front end paddock stand

Post by tinysmall »

I drilled a couple of holes in the beams in my garage and bolted some metal eyelets in then used the trolley jack/rope method mentioned above. Bike was held like that for about a week. Works a treat. If you don't have a garage I would use the step ladder idea but keep the jack under it too.

---
- Sent from my brain using my hands with that Tapatalk thingemybob.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Opel wrote:

Good grief Wicky... you would've had a full time job and a trade for life 200 years ago, making things like that... very imaginative :thumbup:
It's what his gimp is tied to when the bike doesn't need attention.
Hence the bite marks.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: