vtr1000 dragbike

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
muppet

vtr1000 dragbike

Post by muppet »

Hello vtr land, just joined the forum, have a vtr used purely for dragracing, 6" over swingarm, lowered front and rear. took it to the bulldog bash last weekend had a best of 11.00 @ 123 for the quarter, engine is stock so will be tuning and modding as i go. will post photo once ive worked out how.
AMCQ46

Re: vtr1000 dragbike

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome................it looks like tony & benny are talking about you elsewhere. bike looks set up for serious launches :thumbup:
AMcQ
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

Sounds very interesting :wink: Any video of yer rocket? :D
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

good to meet you at weekend mate, and surprisingly a lot of other storm owners, all with the same issues!
interesting times you got with the extended s/a....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
muppet

Post by muppet »

Thanks guys, having problems putting photos on any ideas ? anyone else got any 1/4 mile times and speed would help me qauge chassis mods as we all know not all mods are good mods as i have found looking at the forum concerning air box mods. :confused
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if you look in the computer help section there is a sticky with how to post pics :)

the open airbox (according to roger ditchfield's dyno guy) releases a lot of hp but requires 'extensive modding to a stage 3 dyno kit' in his words.... so it is possible, anything is, but would need a lot of dyno time to get right.

i think the site you were looking at, the guy just jetted it hit & miss and failed miserably. :roll:

what i intend to do with mine is cut away the airbox, leaving just the mounting plate for the 2 stacks, then cut the stacks off to leave just a stub to mount k&n bellmouth filters on....

think i'll be going down the extended s/a for next time too, but keeping the std one for track days :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, there.
Glad you found us on the forum.

Tuning?
Plenty to be done, but with an extended SA you might want to brace the swingarm pivot first- gearbox oil makes a hell of a mess on the quarter.

11 odd isn't bad, though, well done.

You said you didn't have any problems with the clutch on launch?
We certainly did......
it's probably to biggest difficulty with launching these bikes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

tony.mon wrote: You said you didn't have any problems with the clutch on launch?
We certainly did......
One of the best ways to spend £10 on the VTR!!
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/VTR_1 ... eavy_Duty/
Completely banishes the standard problem of the clutch biting, jumping and then biting again when you try to do a quick launch
And I'll be blowed if I could notice any extra weight at the lever (I still only use two fingers most of the time)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
muppet

Post by muppet »

Hey i like the idea of a solution before i have the problem :D i have read about the clutch problem on various forums and had a chat with tony and benny h about it at the bulldog, so ill get some springs ready i believe barnett do them as well.
To the horror of all on the forum i have now removed the rear suspention and lowered the whole bike to 2" ground clearance i have also made some swingarm pivot suports using using rose jointed rods, the solid rear end was always prefered years ago with street dragbikes but a change to expensive suspention units came about with bikes producing 300-500 h.p using street tyres, so my 103 without nitrous shouldnt cause to much trouble :think: the nitrous will be the next purchase using a kit from the states from dyna tune these exellent kits cost around £375 all in, with 15hp to 30hp jets, purist dont like N20 but for the strip its been proved to be a great performance bolt on.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stormin Ben wrote:
tony.mon wrote: You said you didn't have any problems with the clutch on launch?
We certainly did......
One of the best ways to spend £10 on the VTR!!
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/VTR_1 ... eavy_Duty/
Completely banishes the standard problem of the clutch biting, jumping and then biting again when you try to do a quick launch
And I'll be blowed if I could notice any extra weight at the lever (I still only use two fingers most of the time)
If only it was that easy...
I tried uprated springs, kevlar plates, and measured up an optimal set of metal plates from five spare clutches, so it should have been good.
Engine was rebuilt over the winter with new bearings throughout, so it isn't them, so next thing to try is a manual clutch (rather than hydraulic).
One fairly gentle launch and it grabs every time thereafter, until completely cooled.
But I don't want to blast a cold engine up the dragstrip.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

with a rebuilt clutch, mine didnt drag or slip at all, despite concerted efforts to make it fail....
3rd launch on the strip, after idling for 10mins or so with the temp just off the red, grab, wheelie, near fail lol!
every launch after that with hot engine was the same.
so i was wondering about oil grades....

thought tony mightve got away with it with the larger oil cooler.... maybe it could be worth adding a fan to the oil cooler?
in normal riding, normal temps, mine hasnt grabbed again since, but is slipping at 7k full throttle, which is usually a sign the oil is due a change.
i think this time i'll try a 5w synthetic and see how it goes.
when i get round to riding it that is!!! :Beer Popcorn:
muppet

Post by muppet »

Has anyone done a manual clutch conversion ?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

muppet wrote:Has anyone done a manual clutch conversion ?
Yes it's been done by davwas http://www.1771racing.co.uk/ who races a Storm in Thunderbikes ( also recently joined the forum.) using a Valdarado leaver & bits & bobs. More feel apparntly. Also Bazza of this here parish is in process of getting all the bits together for his road bike.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20711

Oh & welcome to the forum by the way.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Muppet, welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.