Chrome

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
BigVeeGrin

Chrome

Post by BigVeeGrin »

anyone use Chrome and have problems with pages loading?
benny hedges

Re: Chrome

Post by benny hedges »

yeh its crap.
was great when it first came out but tbh i think microshaft brought out some updates and nerfed it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Can you be more specific when you say "not loading". Do you get any content at all, or partial, any error messages?

--

A bit of history.....I gotta disagree with Benny on Chrome being rubbish but I would not disagree with him on anything VTR related! *bow*

With the Chrome browser, Google attempted to be standards compliant on a general release, unlike Internet Explorer which Microsoft used/use to try and dictate their own web standards. So it may appear as though Chrome is at fault when in reality, the responsibility falls to the web page designer, who failed to write good quality (standards compliant) script.

Most web pages are not compliant with criteria laid down by W3C, who are responsible for setting the standards for HTML and CSS worldwide. They tend to be a mish mash and as such, function differently on different browsers. Also, the implementation of Javascript across browsers differs significantly, which can cause issues with page loading.

In the old days, pages used to often say "designed for" or "best viewed in". The W3C was founded to try and establish standards for web page design, which they did. Internet Explorer is pretty much garbage for the most part and has never complied with any standards from day 1. It utilises many prioprietary functions which nobody else recognises/is licenced to use.

Back in the late 90's, early 00's, the worlds most popular browser, Internet Explorer, was not designed to implement those standards, rather, Microsofts own version of them, which defeats the point of a standard at all. Its worth pointing out that IE was only popular because users of Windows had no choice of browser upon initial installation of Windows, which is why Microsoft got sued for billions eventually (in the anti-trust case). Its also why you get a really annoying small utility called "Browser Choice" on Windows installations after around 2005.

Its rather complicated to explain why/how it all came about. Thats a brief summary for any interested parties.

PS. If Microsoft had their way from the start, we'd never have had Flash, or PHP or countless other technologies. PHP is the basis for this forum, so we'd be screwed :)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

chrome used to run very well on mine until a few mth ago....
only on some sites though for some reason... must be how their servers are configured?

cant update ie as i have xp home on this notepad and the latest ie doesnt support it
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Try Firefox, its not as slimline as it once was, but it will work and is almost standards compliant.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

will post a page link when I'm home.

Use it for everything at home as it's quick and reliable, aside from this site!

Here's the message I get:

"Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data."

Never had a problem with Firefox, so will have to have two browsers running I guess!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I use Chrome, seems to work ok....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.