What tyres?

General Bike chat
marksmiffy

What tyres?

Post by marksmiffy »

Hi Stormers.

I'm looking to replace both my tyres even tho there's loads of tread left the front un had a nail repair done and the back un has flattened out guessing coz of the amount of pillion riding we been doing.

Any ideas on what make etc i am working on a budget due to being a poor self employed roofer :cry: ( although if i lived in Wales judging by the weather you lot had over the weekend i'd be well busy ).

Also need chain and sprockets and wondered which type is the best the X or the O ?

P.S. Glad Playerone is ok :thumbup: sounds like you lot had a testing ride out :roll:

Cheers Mark
Wicky

Re: What tyres?

Post by Wicky »

http://www.universal-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle-tyre.php I use Bridgestone BT020 - but try searching the forums for differing opinions

as for chain & sprockets - cheap doesn't necessarily mean best value

VTR1000F 97-05 Xtreme Performance Chain and Sprocket Kit - This is what I get....

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx ... pgrade-Kit
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I've been using, and impressed, with Sportec M3's. Wear isn't too bad, especially on a V Twin. Grip is is good and the bike tips into corners better than the last set of Bridgestones I had. I've heard good things about Maxxis lately. A few of the chaps I know have been using them. Seem fairly cheap too. You pays your money and all that.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

ive been on maxis and went to wales last weekend. close to 700 miles in 3 days, minimal wear, and only spun up the rear once on a cattle grid. gripped flawlessly throughout dry and wet. well impressed for 135 a pair off ebay :D :D :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

as said the maxxis are fine til they start to square off then they wear rapidly and are very unpredictable in the wet after you have got used to their grip.
had a few close calls with mine letting go front and back - they are good but there is better.
for another 20-30 quid you can get a better set of top line tyres & fitted.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Pirelli Angel St's for me. Got 7k out of the last rear and I take pillions quite often and don't hang about on the gas. Excellent grip but might be a bit out of your budget if you're skint. About £250 for the pair.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
cliveyandrews

What tyres?

Post by cliveyandrews »

BT-023's are working well for me, I have a 150 mile commute - A34, M40, M42 - miles that would square off lesser tyres - best part of 2k in and whilst showing wear, no squaring off as such.

Hardy Tyres, and grippy when you throw it around. I'd have BT-016's if I wasn't doing the miles though...

Sent from Cliveys iPhone using Tapatalk
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
Richy

Post by Richy »

Had some Michelin Pilot road 3's fitted last week. £205 for the pair. Spent 6 days riding down to the Mosel and Nurburgring, 2000 miles later and they haven't squared off, and look still full of life. (Not much motorway riding involved)

They handled the wet and dry really well. They seem a bit slower turning in though than the sportecs I had fitted previously.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

However skint one is, I recommend not putting budget boots on - these are yer only contact with the hard stuff after all. I ride on Avon Storm 2 Ultras with Bridgestones a close second. About 200 - 250 a set, you can't beat good boots for a confident ride.

A fair few people ask this question so I wonder if perhaps a sticky post/poll would be a good reference for the future.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mark, I also like the Avon Storm's :thumbup:

Chris.
neil

Post by neil »

maxxis tyres on mine, £130 for the pair fitted. would have them again
redvtr
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

I put Pirelli diablo rosso corsa's on mine: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motor ... corsa.html

Amazing tyres, but they wear quite quick, Id definetly replace them for the same again though! Absolute confidence through bends, stick like...well, you know.
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Thanks all :) now i'm really confused :? lol I think after reading the previous replies that it's best to pay top whack and get some decent tyres ...after all....as someone previously mentioned it's the only thing between me and the tarmac ( and that tarmac is bloody hard stuff :( )
Think i should get a new front wheel as when i took it in for a puncture (last year ) the bloke said it looks like its been binned at some stage ( front wheel looks like a car ally thats been kerbed ) got a couple of dented berb marks on it. Bit narked really just got the wheel off to start polishing marathon ( no point now ) :evil:
:beer:
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

What about a poll to see which are the best tyres? :)
steveb

Post by steveb »

I've got Dunlop RoadSmarts on mine - good durability, 5k out of a rear, brilliant grip in the dry but particularly good in the wet too. Usually around £170 pair fitted.

I too was in the Mosel, Nurburgring region in the middle of May (but not with Richy) and with a new back tyre on I too have no signs of squaring off, 2000 miles on the trip and about another 1000 on it here in Blighty.
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------