Petrol Smell

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mpgscott

Petrol Smell

Post by mpgscott »

When out on the bike and you come to a standstill like sitting at lights i am getting a light wiff of petrol, cant see any leaks anywhere any ideas what it could be? Are the rubbers around the fuel cap prone to failing or anything like that? Is it simply a normal problem??

Cheers
Mark

PS bike is a 2000 VTR
tony.mon

Re: Petrol Smell

Post by tony.mon »

What's your mileage like?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
matinik46

Post by matinik46 »

sounds similar to my problem methinks.
could be the weather,just fumes escaping through the breather/s.??
mpgscott

Post by mpgscott »

Mileage of the bike is 13400 and i am getting around 36mpg out of the bike on a long run.

Could it simply be the breathers like you suggest is it common for these to give the smell when idle?

Noticed your post matinik46 I definitely dont have your air temp issue up where i am as it peeing it down and rather cold. I will check these pipes your talking about and see if any are blocked.

Cheers
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you had the airbox off at all???? wondering if a breather from the cam cover might have come off or not been fitted proper.
i expect youd see a bit of oil around the left rad tho if one was off??
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
mpgscott

Post by mpgscott »

benny hedges wrote:you had the airbox off at all???? wondering if a breather from the cam cover might have come off or not been fitted proper.
No I havent but thats not to say the last owner didnt have it off so thank i will give this a check. So simply take tank off and then look around the airbox for the breather pipes, i have a haynes manual so will have a look and see whats supposed to be where.

Cheers again..
mpgscott

Post by mpgscott »

Sorry should have also said Benny that there isnt any oil shown in the area you mention. Any other thoughts, i think I will take the tank off and have a look around. It couldnt be the seal at the filler could it?
mpgscott

Post by mpgscott »

benny hedges wrote:you had the airbox off at all???? wondering if a breather from the cam cover might have come off or not been fitted proper.
Your good Benny, checked tonight and the pipe under the airbox to the far left if you are sitting on the bike was off the bottom of the airbox. It was a nightmare to re-fit but after a lot of swearing and buggering about i got it and the retaining spring clip back on. Had to lift the airbox to get at it as i couldnt get my hand in about. So could this pipe have made that smell?

Also noticed that there arnt any seals between the airbox and the filter and then the top is there supposed to be? On my cbr600 there was a gasket in here.

Cheers for the help. :thumbup: :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yes thats the cause of the smell m8.
& yes it is a bitch to get on.
best if you smear a bit of grease inside the pipe with the clip already in place, then with the airbox tilted to the left you can stretch the pipe upward and just get it on the stub.
the smaller one on the right of it, remove the triangular cover and filter and you can see down it to make sure the pipe is on. (that one doesnt have a retaining clip)
the ones at the back right are easy to get on.

there arent supposed to be any seals top or bottom, but give it a good wipe inside before you reassemble it.

you will most probably find the coughing and spluttering (weak mixture) is gone now too :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
mpgscott

Post by mpgscott »

Cheers for that, i will see what like she is on the run into work tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed she's running fine.