Help - anyone in London...

General Bike chat
Muffin666

Help - anyone in London...

Post by Muffin666 »

Guys,

you may have seen the rather boring fuelling problem messages I posted recently. To give you some background, I've just bought a 2,500 mile VTR on a W-plate which is causing me headaches. I've given it back to the dealer I bought it from, who have replaced a diaphragm in one of the carbs but the problems haven't gone away.

I'm now beginning to wonder if it really is my riding style that is causing the problem as the workshop manager, when I told him what was wrong, suggested that I might indeed be a cack-handed oaf, but I do more than 10,000 miles a year in London traffic so surely I can't be that bad... can I? I rode a TL1000S a while ago and didn't have any such problems...

Anyway, here are the symptoms:

1) In first you need to give it at least 4,000 revs and tons of clutch slip to get it off the line smoothly - traffic light drag races require much more, and this doesn't guarantee that it won't suddenly cough and bog down (as witnessed by a terrified scooter pilot last night who almost went into the back of me)

2) When riding in traffic (i.e. 90% of my time) I have to keep it in 1st or 2nd, and make sure it is doing more than 3,500 revs at all times. Otherwise, when the throttle is opened, nothing happens except jerking and coughing, hasty pulling in of the clutch, reving it to clear its throat etc etc

3) At around 4,250 revs in, say, third or fourth (on those rare occasions when I'm in those gears) it's usually fine and will pull with gusto, but occasionally it does the old coughing and spluttering thing again - there seems to be no pattern with this

4) After a period of reasonably spirited riding (officer...) when you come to a stop at the lights and put the bike in neutral, the engine often almost cuts out - again no real pattern here

5) When blipping the throttle, the first twist of the grip produces nothing for half an inch or so, then a cough, a backfire and finally some revs - the best way of ensuring this won't stop you dead in your tracks when you try and pull away is to keep the revs up whilst stationary

Now you may all be sitting there saying "Yup, sounds about right. That's what mine does when I ride it cack-handedly" but I really don't think it's right. The dealer reckon they have done a full diagnostic check on it and it was fine apart from the diaphragm, so is it just me????

Any feedback would be appreciated - suggestions so far have been fouled plugs (gonna take 'em out this weekend), dirty/dry air filter (ditto), the bike may have run non-standard cans in the past and is wrongly jetted for the standards (beyond my spanner ability to check in these pre-delivery-of-Haynes-manual times), or the carbs simply aren't balanced properly.

If anyone in London fancies coming to have a listen to it, or even ride the damn thing, to tell me if I am a) a sh*te rider, b) imagining things or c) the owner of an unwell VTR, that would be hugely appreciated. I live in Wimbledon but I'm happy to come and see you if you are elsewhere.

Cheers for reading this interminably long message...

Muffin666 :evil:
Bink

Post by Bink »

There is definitely something wrong with the fuelling of that bike.

What I don't understand is that if the bike behaves that badly it should be easy for you to prove your point at the dealers. Let the bike run/idle in neutral. Show the dealer what happens when you rev it. It should not cut out/cough/bang/backfire - if it does ... that's your point proven! Ask the dealer to ride the bike (go with him if you can or at least witness him driving the bike in some way so he can't deny any mishaps if the occur).

A 'normal' Storm usually idles round 1000-1200rpm in neutral. I do get the occasional cough or backfire but it never cut out on me! Ever.

It really sounds to me that there is a fuelling problem. (And the throttle grip might be slipping?!) It either needs to be cleaned out or you could try Carb Cleaner or some kind of petrol enhancer but I doubt that will solve your problems.

If the dealer is unhelpful and doesn't believe you I would go back and demand my money back.
A good dealer would like to make sure his customer is happy and would anything reasonable to make sure you are.
If he can't be bothered you might as well get your money back and spend it elsewhere! :evil:

Have you gone to a different mechanic to get an objective 2nd opinion? That way you could get a better understanding of what you are looking at and you can verbalise your complaint in more technical terms!
RQ

Post by RQ »

Muffin,I agree with Bink. There is no way that has anything to do with the way you are riding. I have mine for years now and I could count on one hand the times it cut out.
Get them to check the tap in the fuel tank. Could it be as simple as there is a problem with the supply of fuel? How are the pipes from the tank to the carbs? Is the vacuum working on the diaphragm on the fuel tap?
Bring it back and ask for something similar.......... something that works.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I agree it sounds sick.

I also think might have chosen the wrong bike if you spend 90% of your time in traffic. Its not really a town bike. You could change the sprockets and drop the gearing, which would make 1st and 2nd more usable.
Muffin666

Thanks

Post by Muffin666 »

Guys,

thanks for your feedback.

Trojan: I agree that it is a slightly strange choice, but my route to work and back is not central London (South Circ and North Circ) so I can get up a fair pace most of the time. Also, I get to work at 7.45am and leave around 6.00pm, so I miss the worst traffic. I chose the VTR for the lowdown torque in comparison with the ZZR600 I had before and I still think it's the right choice, just not the right individual bike perhaps. Can't wait to take it down to the girlfriend's parents in Hampshire (A32 - mmmm).

Bink and RQ: I'm glad you agree. I must add that it has never actually cut out completely, it just... I can't describe it, it just almost does... Sorry, crap I know. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and ask them to have another look, and I'll try and get someone out on it. To be honest, I reckon it could be something very minor as the bike is fabulous when you ride in full attack mode, but I defy anyone to spend the whole time riding one of these above 6,000 revs. I want the dealer to sort it as I love the bike - I've wanted a VTR for ages and I don't want to come away with a Deauville or something in exchange...
RQ

Post by RQ »

Dullville?? Who said Dullville???????????
RQ.
Muffin666

Dullville

Post by Muffin666 »

Yeah, maybe not (although a nice chocolate brown one would be very - err - practical?)

Tell you what, maybe I'll chop in the VTR and buy a Divvy 900 for summer scratching and a Superdream for the winter. Excellent... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

M666
RQ

Post by RQ »

Brown, but only with mint green stripes and yellow dots.

Don't forget the old reliable Cub 90. I quite fancy one of those myself. If the pizza guys can jump them over speed ramps then I'd like one.
RQ.
Max

Post by Max »

If you are in London contact Del he seems to be the main man with firestorm problems
freshfunkmeister

Can I help ??

Post by freshfunkmeister »

Dear Muffin 666. Firstly, what a wombles pain in th' ass that is. Secondly, it is very unlikely down to your riding technique !! I live in epsom, a few miles down the rd from ya so would have no probs in coming to see your bike. I had a similiar problem with my bike. Basically, the carbs were all full of shite then the fuel tank vacuum pipe was a bit kinked so there was too much air in the mixture. It popped, banged, wouldn't rev, etc etc. Let me know when you are around and I can pop over to see the bike. I can bring my trusty haines manual with me and we could have a game of amateur mechanics.No promises for a cure but 2 heads.etc........!!
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I was gonna post a deap amd meannningvful reply to this but i've been to a wedding to day and i've been drinkking sinc about 10 thisw morning. The only reasson i'm rightting this at this tim is coz i'm up at 5.30 tomoroe morning and im home early and arnt i wombles hapy aboyt that. And she drove my car home so i'll never get my seat bacj to its origonal cumfy positon so i'm gonna right the morning off as one big sufering ecxperiamce. Anyway, there was a post on her withing the last 2 months about someone with the same problems. Did it not end up being the hodses under the tasnk needing rerouted so they wernt kinked. I might be talking shite, i usually do, but this rings a bell.

ps anyone got a pizza they dont want......im straving
Rich.

kevg

Post by kevg »

Happy sore head for today soop :twisted:

hope the car is back to normal, nothing worse than trying to drive it again after someone else has had thier grubby mits on it.

a bike is so much easier, no controlls or seat to move, unless you spend mega bucks with an all singing all dancing everything moves around job.

i'm pissed as well and just waisting time before i go to bed, but don't seem to have lost the will to spell...... well nearly anywaaaaaaaaay. :roll:
cheerz

kev
Muffin666

Post by Muffin666 »

Freshfunkmeister,

You are a star. I am off to Boxhill tomorrow with my mate but I would be very pleased to see your point of view on this. Sadly, I am currently arseholed to an extraordinarily major extent.

Blargh.

Call me early tomorrow on 07763 348 739 - thanks eternally.

Oik,

Muffin666 :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
RQ

Post by RQ »

I think we should set up a section called "Pissed Ramblings", it would be good for a laugh on a monday morning to see what happened over the weekend for some of the members!!!!

Muffin, let us know the outcome!!
RQ.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Rq
Do you really want to Know what my Member got up to this weekend? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
Perhaps not one of your best idea's :wink: