Just been pulled by a traffic cop

General Bike chat
snipper

Re: Just been pulled by a traffic cop

Post by snipper »

steveb wrote:The law on number plate size didn't change before 2001 so if your bike is pre 51 plate as long as you have correct font and letter size I was of the thought you can have an 8X6 plate as this allows for both of those??

My MOT tester thinks the same too - thoughts??
number plate size is not part of the mot

its the dvla that regulates the size ect and not vosa :wink:

where did you get pulled for the plate ? not on my commute down hedon rd i hope
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Ah, the plate. That old chestnut. I used to have a wee one (not the letterbox) years back but these days I find that anything other than a standard-sized one is nothing more than a 'heat seeker'.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

springbank west near willerby road, on my way home to this side of hull. live off south coates :-)
Animal

Post by Animal »

I used to be involed with a bike club, and we organised a talk with the local plod. Small plates was raised with him. His take on it was:
Imagine you have parked your nice shiny new bike in the pub car park to show all your mates. You go in for a coke and some little scrote in his Saxo knocks your bike over. Someone rushes in to tell you, but its too late, the scrote has gone. You ask the person if he got the reg of the car, he says no, the plate was too small and I couldn't read it.
Obviously the same could be said about a hit and run. This is one of the reasons the plod do not like small plates.

When I was MOTing bikes I would always fail if the plate was too small, if you came along with the right sized plate to put on that would be ok.
As previously posted plenty of info on here http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m1s06000305.htm about what is allowed, and a whole load of other stuff that should be checked.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

but is an 8x6 plate with legal lettering legal on a 98 reg storm? thats all i need to know before i get another one knocked up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
steveb

Post by steveb »

Reading the info on the govt website provided I'd say YES it is. The reason it's vague is because they want us all to have Bugatti Veyron Air brake number plates - but that's only for bikes that are post 51 plates.
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
Animal

Post by Animal »

In fact the correct size is 9 x 7. You would not fit the correct sized characters on an 8 x 6 plate.
Just depends who you get on the day whether it gets acceptded or not.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Animal wrote: You would not fit the correct sized characters on an 8 x 6 plate.
course you can.... mine for example has only 6 characters rather than the new 7 character numbers....
i have the correct size characters, correct spacing and border etc and mine is 8x6.
ive been pulled for it twice and last time a traffic cop came along to clarify and agreed it was ok.... the plod only questioned the font, which is offset 3d - this is the only alternative legal font you can use :wink:
again last year a cop biker said it was ok.

it is possible, like if your reg was A1 or V2 or something, you could have a legal plate at just over 2" x 3"

a full size plate on mine looks ridiculous with a 2" blank border around the numbers.

incidentally..... the GB logo.... this is not always necessary, but if you are planning on riding through italy, make sure your plate has the GB unless you want a fine.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Benny - I'm off to Euro next month but not Itally - I was going to get a 'euro' plate, is there anywhere that specifies that it must be 'GB'?

And regards 8 x 6's - Mines only got 6 characters too so fits nicely!
Happy ridin'
Animal

Post by Animal »

benny hedges wrote:
Animal wrote: You would not fit the correct sized characters on an 8 x 6 plate.
course you can.... mine for example has only 6 characters rather than the new 7 character numbers....
i have the correct size characters, correct spacing and border etc and mine is 8x6.
ive been pulled for it twice and last time a traffic cop came along to clarify and agreed it was ok.... the plod only questioned the font, which is offset 3d - this is the only alternative legal font you can use :wink:
again last year a cop biker said it was ok.

it is possible, like if your reg was A1 or V2 or something, you could have a legal plate at just over 2" x 3"
I was basing it on the conventional 7 character plate.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

steveb wrote:Benny - I'm off to Euro next month but not Itally - I was going to get a 'euro' plate, is there anywhere that specifies that it must be 'GB'?
as far as i know there is only italy that's really strict on it.
their plod are well onto it if they see a uk reg, they WILL fine you!! :Ball Kick:
might be worth sorting it anyway tbh before you go... might save you a spot fine or a pull.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
steveb

Post by steveb »

benny hedges wrote:
steveb wrote:Benny - I'm off to Euro next month but not Itally - I was going to get a 'euro' plate, is there anywhere that specifies that it must be 'GB'?
as far as i know there is only italy that's really strict on it.
their plod are well onto it if they see a uk reg, they WILL fine you!! :Ball Kick:
might be worth sorting it anyway tbh before you go... might save you a spot fine or a pull.
And I thought we were all one big happy europe nowadays!!!! Cheers
Happy ridin'