Exhaust temp

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Lee16

Exhaust temp

Post by Lee16 »

Evening chaps i have a question.. i have just fitted scorpion cans to my vtr, and have noticed that the n/s can gets alot hotter than the o/s.. It may of done the same with the standard cans but never noticed. Is this normal ??? seems to be running ok but i am going to check the plugs next week as i have done about 100 miles since fitting the cans and want to check if its running rich or lean.. I did look into getting it dyno jetted but im buggered if im paying £350 to have it done..

Any advice would be very welcome

Cheers Lee
Miztaziggy

Re: Exhaust temp

Post by Miztaziggy »

I have scorpion cans and never noticed one getting hotter than the other.

I will start it in the morning and check and get back to you....

I would think that they probably should get to same temp after a drive, but on idle, the hot gas will take quickest and easiest route out, so maybe one pipe is blocked / clogged slightly and causing it to bypass that can?

Have you taken the baffles out and checked they are clean?
Also are the joint sealed properly and no gas escaping?
Lee16

Post by Lee16 »

Thanks for that chaps. I'll check the plugs and carb balance next week still. Then I've just got to attempt the cct job !! Only had the bike a month and although it's in good nick I have no idea if they have been done so I want be safe than sorry..

Thanks again :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lee, I have Scorpion cans fitted too (high level), mine does the same. As Mike pointed out there is a restriction built into the right hand header pipe to help with the exhaust pluses, so that most likely causes one to run hotter than the other because more exhaust gases will be flowing through the left hand can.

Chris.
Miztaziggy

Exhaust temp

Post by Miztaziggy »

Checked mine today and both get to about the same temp, had the exhaust off and can't see a splitter so I assume someone removed it on mine then....
rumbleguts

Post by rumbleguts »

I noticed the same on mine and have been told its mainly because the nearside can is much nearer the cylinder head!! and also that is the reason the carb main jets are different sizes,anyhow seems the norm on a storm.
Mike
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

rumbleguts wrote:I noticed the same on mine and have been told its mainly because the nearside can is much nearer the cylinder head!! and also that is the reason the carb main jets are different sizes,anyhow seems the norm on a storm.
Mike
wouldnt make much difference with the jeting tbh as its not a separate can for each pot.
if it was, the tuning would be impossible with the different header lengths.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.