New VTR :-)

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Miztaziggy

New VTR :-)

Post by Miztaziggy »

Hello, I have posted a couple of times here in the workshop section, so thought I best post here and say hello...

I recently sold this on ebay:

And bought this on ebay:

I needed something cheaper as we are moving house and needed to release some cash, and the VTR seems like an ideal bike...fast, tons of torque and sounds so much better than an R1 :D
Cant wait to get it and as sad as it sounds, get it into the garage and spend a weekend replacing bits and polishing to get it looking mint.

Anyway hope to see some of you at meets / rideouts etc
arnie

Re: New VTR :-)

Post by arnie »

Welcome mate, get it out and enjoy the sunshine :D
alec

Post by alec »

arnie wrote:Welcome mate, get it out and enjoy the sunshine :D
Oi Oi Arnie thats a bit forward aint it, welcome to the site and like arnie said ride it
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Nice mate, welcome. Got mine only a few weeks ago, still bloody polishing it! Though looking MUCH bettererer!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yep - I cant wait to get polishing mine

Exhaust and front fork legs going to be the worst jobs, but once they are done it will look much better
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

u done the usual mods
cct reg /rect?
east london/essex [leyton ]
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

CCT's have been done

Not sure about reg / rect though...the guy im buying from said he never had a problem with them.

To be honest, I dont know where they are on the bike so not sure where to look to see if they are new/old etc, anyone?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just have a peep / feel under the tailpiece on the right, about 1/3 way to the back,
the r/r is bolted to the subframe and you will see/ feel a rectangular component approx 65x40x15mm with what looks like a kettle lead connector coming out of it.
if that's what you have then you have the older type which will fail at some stage - probably when you need the bike most or in the middle of nowhere.

suggest you have a look on ebay for the later type... cheapest (and most reliable) seem to be the cbr125 ones which are going for 15 - 30 notes, they will plug straight into yours.
the difference is in the physical size - it's almost twice the size and is covered in cooling fins.

* a lot of folk fit a yamaha r'/r off an r6 / r1... these are not plug & play, will involve wiring mods and they still fail lol.... i have a mate who had the same r/r on his viagaro and fried almost everything & boiled the battery dry when his r/r failed putting out 29v.
another lad at weekend was saying his fzr r/r blew and put 40v into everything and melted half the loom!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

So will the type off the CBR125 that are twice the size fit straight to the VTR with no modification needed to the frame or anything? There is room for them in the original location?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yes mate they fit fine but you will only use one mounting bolt instead of 2.
everything else is same, they go in the same place, fit the same plug, put out the right voltage, can handle the current from the stator etc.... ideal replacement & theres loads of them on ebay.

the one i have is off a cbr1100 blackbird but basically it's the same item.
they dont make a different r/r for every bike.... in fact honda probably dont make them at all, they will be made in some spurious factory in hong kong somewhere...
have a look on ebay ---- the cbr600 had the same r/r as the storm (the unfinned one) and they suffer from the same failures.
it doesn't help being under the seat where there isnt much airflow when idling, which is why the ones with cooling fins are more reliable
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Miztaziggy :thumbup:

Chris.
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Hi Miztazzigy....Welcome m8 :beer:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

hello and welcome. good colour choice :)
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

So I have added this video now I have the bike, my brother taking it down the road while I took the video to record the awesome sound of that engine. I love that sound more than anything!! :D

[youtube][/youtube]
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tell him to get some fkin boots! :Ball Kick: