Replacement parts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Replacement parts

Post by Miztaziggy »

Hello,

I recently bought a VTR and when it arrives, I plan to strip off the exhaust, remove the corrosion and clear lacquer to prevent further rust. At the same time I want to replace the bolts since they look very rusty too. I have found gaskets on ebay to replace the ones that will come out but cant find the bolts.

Also - I want to replace any other bolts etc that might be corroded but cant find anywhere to get this stuff from, other than Honda dealers. Does anyone know of anywhere to get from?
alec

Re: Replacement parts

Post by alec »

hi, ebay sometimes have a complete bolt set but not sure if it includes exhaust studs.
alec
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Hmm...I couldnt find these last night, but have just found this now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

While I was on there - I found engine bolt replacement kits made from aluminium in different colours. Does anyone know if these are good or if they are too soft/weak and will break?
alec

Post by alec »

Miztaziggy wrote:Hmm...I couldnt find these last night, but have just found this now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

While I was on there - I found engine bolt replacement kits made from aluminium in different colours. Does anyone know if these are good or if they are too soft/weak and will break?
i used ally ones on my old zx9r with no problems mate, they make it look a bit garish though in the colours (i bought the purple ones) dont buy cheap though get the decent ones
alec
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

hello and welcome.

Dont use aluminium screws on anything structural, they are just for bodywork in my opinion. even engine covers need and exhaust clamps are designed for steel fastners.

if you measure the bolts you want to replace, you can then order them from a good bolt supplier in the correct grade steel.
Places like Pro-Bolt will offer all the parts you need, but they can be a bit pricy. if you shop round you will get the same for less as long as you know what diameter thread size and length you want.

for honda parts [and some pattern solution] David Silvers are a good source, things like exhaust clamp bolts can be purchased seperatly
AMcQ
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

http://www.stagonset.co.uk are really good, in the past i've ordered single bolts from them no problem.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Miztaziggy wrote:Hello,

I recently bought a VTR and when it arrives, I plan to strip off the exhaust, remove the corrosion and clear lacquer to prevent further rust. At the same time I want to replace the bolts since they look very rusty too. I have found gaskets on ebay to replace the ones that will come out but cant find the bolts.

Also - I want to replace any other bolts etc that might be corroded but cant find anywhere to get this stuff from, other than Honda dealers. Does anyone know of anywhere to get from?
I would recommend whilst the exhaust is off, sort out the pro link bearings, take them off and give them a good lub, as the rear headder dries them out, and Jonesy will tell you what happens when they fail.

I am going to heat wrap my exhausts, I have titanium wrap to make them look a little better, plus it will stop the belly pad getting hot, sh1t getting on to the exhaust and stop failure of the pro link.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Sorry...prolink?

I dont know what that is really? Is it the back shock?
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Correct if you look under the bike you will see a link the connects an attachment on the bottom of the shock to the frame, you will see how close the exhaust comes to one of the bearings, that is the one that dries out
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Brill, thanks, will have a look

What do you lube them with? Something like some copper grease?
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I lubed mine with HT grease, but I had my swingarm off checking all the bearings, as I did not know the previous history, I am not sure how easy they are to remove without removing the swingarm. The bike will need to be supported, as you will be disconnecting the rear shock.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Miztaziggy wrote:Hello,

Use 8mm stainless set screws 40mm long should be ok, cut the heads off to make studs..

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

arnie wrote: Image
is that off one of those honda personal submarines???
it looks barnacleised lol, no wonder the studs wouldnt come out :lol: :Ball Kick:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You know what it's like Benny, digi cams show up to much detail :wink:

Miztaziggy, (Re Prolink) get yourself a long to the Workhop Knowledgebase found in the Workshop section. Here's what you need to have a look at from that section:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

Chris.
alec

Post by alec »

can i just drill and tap the lower link for a grease nipple (the one closest the exhaust) insitu or do i have to strip it out, ?