Collecting my 'storm tomorrow!

General Bike chat
flak monkey

Collecting my 'storm tomorrow!

Post by flak monkey »

The last week has dragged!

Collecting my 'storm tomorrow afternoon, straight after work. Thankfully I finish at noon. Looks like the weather's going to be good. :D
Not what you think...
benny hedges

Re: Collecting my 'storm tomorrow!

Post by benny hedges »

good luck - hope its as good as you expect!!!

watch your licence lol
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alec

Post by alec »

And watch the throttle responce you cant power on like an il4 as i found out on monday after doing my cct's must have looked like i had a space hopper for a front wheel, never known a bike with so much torque :oops:
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Well I am going from a 650 twin to the 1000. Will be interesting to see the difference!
Not what you think...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Just picked mine up from York. Froze my tits off covering 200 miles home, but glad to say I love the feel of the V twin. Took a bit of a chance really buying it without having ridden a v2 reviously. Hope you enjoy your first ride as much as I did mate, and hopefully you will be a little warmer :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Good luck and as the above said, watch the speed. When on an Il4 you do 70 on them and it feels like your doing 70. On the storm your doing 100 and it feels like your doing 50. They are deceptivly quick and such a different animal.

We expect pics and a full write up of your thoughts on your return.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FM, I hope all goes to plan, keep us posted :thumbup:

Chris.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Well, collected it at about 1pm and went for a little ride (about 25miles) was too cold to go much further! 8O

Very different to ride to the SV and not in a bad way. The riding position is totally different and I started to notice it on my wrists when I cut through town. Sure I'll get used to that though. :)

Seems much smoother too, hard to decribe.

And yes, I get what you mean about watching your speed. You really dont notice it at all as its so low revving, the SV was around 5000rpm at 70mph, so there's a big difference.

All in all, from my short ride, I am very impressed. Will see what the fuel economy is like on some longer runs.

I'll stick some pics in the pimp my ride area in a few mins
Not what you think...
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

flak monkey wrote:The riding position is totally different and I started to notice it on my wrists when I cut through town...
Try to remember to grip the tank with your knees to keep the weight off the wrists :D
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FM, glad all went to plan :thumbup: I've just seen her in the Pimp Your Ride section :)

Chris.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

did someone use the phrase fuel economy ha ha ha ha lol oh erm
i managed to get 19.78 pence in my fuel tank earlier in the week either i a fukin empty or the price of fuels is horribly high
my monies on both :p
east london/essex [leyton ]
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Glad you got onto it. Your next mission is to take the beastie out into the countryside and scare the animals. Spend the day on it and put a good amount of miles on the thing and you'll find out why us Storm owners love the machine so much that it stays in the family for years.

I've only had mine a few months and I still grin from ear to ear when I hear the clatter of the exhausts when I open it up. I'll never get bored of that and thats with standard cans on the thing too!

As for the riding position, You'll get used to it. Another tip is to try and support the weight on your lower back. Hard to explain more than that but your back will strengthen up as will your wrists. Remember your last bike was just a middleweight "first big bike" cruising touring bike with a more upright position. You now ride a sports bike with a more slung forward position and it will take a little getting used to but it is worth it.

As for the speed. Told ya! Town riding is second gear and 3K revs is 30mph. Motorway riding is 6th gear and 3K revs is 70....give or take :shh:

Fuel economy? Whats that when its at home? Keep an eye on that little red light in the rev counter. When that comes on then feed the beast ASAP because it drinks like an irish priest on sunday.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

pinkyfloyd wrote:try and support the weight on your lower back..
worst thing you can do is wear a back brace though as it weakens your abs.
i know when i first started riding mine anything more that 100 mile was hard going but honestly, you will get used to it.
relax more - and go faster lol....
i found the rear sets helped the riding position on mine.... much more comfortable.
how tall are you btw?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

benny hedges wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:try and support the weight on your lower back..
worst thing you can do is wear a back brace though as it weakens your abs.
i know when i first started riding mine anything more that 100 mile was hard going but honestly, you will get used to it.
relax more - and go faster lol....
i found the rear sets helped the riding position on mine.... much more comfortable.
how tall are you btw?

Dont wear a brace. Never have and never will. What I meant was simply straighten your back a little more when your wrists get sore. It takes the weight off your wrists and lets face it, who tucks down behind the screen riding around town?

I'm a shade under 5'6 and using the rear sets is out for me. I can barely reach the front set! :lol: I find the storm comfy enough. But I do find myself all but sitting on the tank unless I'm cruising and make an effort to put the balls of my feet on the pegs rather than hover around the gear/brake levers.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Thanks guys :)

Been slinging it down with rain today and I have been confined to the house on decorating duties!

Here's hoping for some better weather next weekend so I can put some miles on it :)
Not what you think...