what push bike did you have as a kid?

General Biker Banter
steveb

Re: what push bike did you have as a kid?

Post by steveb »

I had a Raleigh Striker which weighed a ton - then when I was a bit taller my mum bought me a Raleigh burner BMX in black with red graphics (same as my storm, come to think of it) as a surpise Christmas present - it was the best Christmas ever!!!
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Raleigh Chopper for me as well :)

cause it had a big seat, I used to ride it with a pillion

cause it had chunky tyres I also used to ride it off road

cause I was clearly stupid, I also rode it 2 up off road.......... down hill [before BMX or MTB was invented] :lol: this resulted in in a face / dry stone wall incident and some chipped teeth, but wasnt that good looking before, so no damage done.

And I am sure that these fond memories are why I love off road riding, either MTB or with an engine.........But always with a helmet now.

just looked in my shed and the storm is the only 2 wheeler with clip-ons, so perhaps I do like cowhorns, you might have a point!
AMcQ
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Purple Raleigh Chopper here too followed by a 10 speed racer...
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

had a little raleigh,can't remember the model but it had solid rubber tyres and fixed gear,then went the self build way too with bits scrounged from a quarry...they looked odd with small front and large rear wheels but they lasted longer than the shop bought stuff even when jumped over very large ramps lol.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

ahem...........just noticed that no girls have posted about bikes.............suppose they all got dollies and prams............... :clap:
it may be clever, but its not big.
Darknomad

Post by Darknomad »

bikes i remember was a tomahawk then chopper then grifter
i remember my cousins getting bmx bikes i was dead jealous at the time all i had was a chopper with a spoke in the gear bit in the middle of the rear wheel pulled out then bent and taped to the frame so it was always in second or third gear
i also remember using the rear of the grifters mudguard folded over into the tyre so it would make the whiirrr noises worked well till it wore out
oh last memory of fixing a puncture on the chopper then using a petrol station airline to inflate the tyre it developed an egg sized bulge but anyone with a brain would of stoppped putting air in
not me i went for that extra bit more and the tyre exploded i sh1t myself fell over my cuz fell of his bike and some poor old dear and her dogs flew of in different directions
i learnt that day never to use station air lines ever again and to ignore my cousins advice
and that terriers can run twice as fast as a spaniel
and that Labradors can drag a pensioner at full trot without breaking a sweat
east london/essex [leyton ]
elric

Post by elric »

Tomahawk and god knows what else including some old BSA thing.
Best was 10 gear racer which slowly got converted into a mountain bike before mountain bikes were around.
Motor bike handle bars, straightened forks, knoblyish tires. Great fun off road.
It's only easy if you know the answer!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

My mam wouldn't buy me a bike... :cry: so I used to regularly 'borrow' my brothers Chopper and go off for a spin but always got it off mam when got home lol..I didn't really get on that well with push bikes as kid as spent all of my time in the pool as was pushed in competition swimming at 8yr old...But the motorised ones are much much better... :lol:
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I wasn't allowed a Chopper ,my family deemed them dangerous ,so i got bought a Raleigh Esquire 3 speed iirc ,probably more suitable actually cos myself and pals used to cycle to Troon every weekend over Summer to fish for Mackerel ,probably 10 miles each way when we were aged around 12 to 14 .
Another bike i had was a Carlton Racer ,it was around half the weight of the Raleigh ,i think it had 10 gears !
Stevie
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

My first bike was a raleigh budgie. It was like a 50cc version of the chopper. Once I had managed to do my direct access I got myself a chopper and proceeded to feck the handlebars by jumping too many home made ramps. Once I got a paper round I upgraded to a 10 speed racer.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Buckers

Post by Buckers »

My Dad made all my bikes for me. Think he loved doing it but always said it was too expensive to buy me a new one. They were racers but didn't have gears

Then I got a cast off from the hard lad on our road a raleigh arena 5 speed, like this http://www.re-buy-cycle.co.uk/details.php?id=427

Cos I had never had gears before, it felt like lightning in fifth