Back to indicators

General Bike chat
SWAGGER

Back to indicators

Post by SWAGGER »

Right me lads. I'm gonna get some pattern part units. Trouble is there are two types. Some that are the size of the OEM's and some that are a little more slender. My sense of order goes for the slender ones. Does anyone have them are they OK?

http://www.patternparts.net/?i=35553
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
Wicky

Re: Back to indicators

Post by Wicky »

IIRC there is a difference in style of OEM storm indicators between early <pre 2001 and >post 2001 models just to complicate matters....
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

How about these?
http://www.patternparts.net/?i=36083

I used the clear lenses and orange bulbs on my SP from the later Blade. It sort of modernised the bike without losing the safety of std visability.

I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Ah ha! Beamish I think you may have the perfect fix right there. Them's nice. Thank you for that I reckon I'll give them a go. :thumbup:

Yamaha FJR1300
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

SWAGGER wrote:Ah ha! Beamish I think you may have the perfect fix right there. Them's nice. Thank you for that I reckon I'll give them a go. :thumbup:
A pleasure, always happy to help. :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Could go slimline kinda close fairing mount

looks cleaner IMHO
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Seven Of Nine Firestorm wrote:Could go slimline kinda close fairing mount

looks cleaner IMHO

Ummmm those are actually what I'm trying to get rid of :oops: :lol: :lol:

Yamaha FJR1300
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

PMSL
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Bought and fitted pattern part indicators ... like wot Beamish showed us. Mine are clear lenses .... look bloody great IMHO. Will post some pics up later. Gotta now fix the vandalism caused by the fitting of those sh*tty flush mounted jobs ... screw holes right through the plastics :evil:

Yamaha FJR1300
snipper

Post by snipper »

i cannot remember but i think i put blade indicators on mine before i sold it ......

also from memory i have 2 clear lense's in the shed you can have ( will have a look when i dare brave the snow to me shed :D )

snipper
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

My next job on the storm is to fit a new undertray/tail tidy etc.
Any recomendations for indiicators would be gratefullt recieved. Im running stock ones just now.

Is it just me or do the links above just take you to the pattern parts home page?

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Shorts on the rear .... longer ones on the front. Fit superbly. Very good quality.

Yamaha FJR1300
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Grrrrr ... poxy indicator switch has started playing up again. We spoke of this previously .... mine externally looks like new so I'm concerned about buying secondhand from ebay ... they all look fairly tacky. To get the switch unit apart requires removing the fairing and unplugging from behind/below the headlight. Question .... will I be able to refurb the original or is the kind of wear that's obviously occured ... irrepairable. Lings/David Silvers want loads a wonga for a new one :cry:

Yamaha FJR1300
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

might just need the contact cleaning up inside the switch with a bit of wet n dry.
if youve managed to get any wet salty road shite in there recently it will make a mess of the copper contacts
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

I've done the indicator switch overhaul. :thumbup: It was a lot easier than previously envisaged. Removed the clutch mech from the bar and then released the switch. The next bit is tricky .... luckily I trained as a gynecologist. To access the internals the two halves of the switch mech must be opened carefully so as not to stress the wires. A small phillips screw holds the cover plate ... once removed the switch control can be seen ... remove the cable clamp/positioner held in by another small phillips head screw. You can then remove the switch control by removing a third screw. The plastic slider switch is then revealed. This is where I discovered that the part was not readily serviceable. It was not actually a problem as when I flicked the slider left and right the indicators worked just fine. So what was the problem .... the damn cable clamp that's what. It had compressed the outer sheath to the point where it was compromising the action of the switch control. I suspect that someone had taken the switch unit off for some reason ... causing the cable to move ... in reasonable temperatures the outer sheath is pliant and the switch lever can overcome the resistance ... in the colder temps of winter the sheath was less pliant and impaired the movement. Hence it only played up on very cold days. That's my theory anyway. I've repositioned the cable and the clamp and everthing now works perfectly. I wish I'd taken pics to explain better ... but I did this last night at around midnight ... bit of a spontaneous thing because I couldn't sleep and needed something to do.
Last edited by SWAGGER on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha FJR1300