mechanical numpty in need of help

General Bike chat
stormerdan

mechanical numpty in need of help

Post by stormerdan »

hey all.
I've just ordered a set of manual ccts but i've no confidence in fitting them. if anyone in the notts area can lend a knowledgable hand infinites brews can be provided!

cheers. Dan
benny hedges

Re: mechanical numpty in need of help

Post by benny hedges »

dead easy m8.
if you bought them off rider on a storm he sends clear fitting instructions iirc.
failing that theres a detailed guide on here.
will only take you a few hrs :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Your a bit of a trip for me otherwise I'd have given you a hand. However, they are easy to fit as long as you follow the instructions - which are clear and step by step. Read them in the house a few times the night before so you have time to think about it.

There are two alloy hex head covers on the left hand side of your engine, ones an 8mm and the other's 5mm - sometimes they are very hard to get out and are made of soft metal so if they wont budge you'll end up rounding them off. I'd suggest before you even start the job go and see if you can get these two covers off. They can be undone without it interupting anything else on the bike - if they come undone, great - leave them finger tight and a pinch until you do the CCT's. If you round them off, it's a trip to the bike shop or someone else with the skills to get them out.

While your waiting for your CCT's to arrive go and buy some locktite 222 - you'll need this to seal the CCT's, and some brand new stanley blades, you'll need these to clean off the old gasket material. And a spark plug socket/spanner if you haven't got one with the bike already. The rest of the job can be done with standard tools.

If it needs a service, might as well buy your two spark plugs, and the air filter now as these have to come off to do the CCT change, then just put your new ones straight in when reassembling.

You'll be fine, and if you get really stuck post up on here for advice - or you may find someone near who can help you.

Steve
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

steveb wrote: There are two alloy hex head covers on the left hand side of your engine, ones an 8mm and the other's 5mm -
:thumbup:

10mm & 6mm iirc
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Soutie

Post by Soutie »

I felt the same as you with regards fitting the cct's, my local bike shop fitted them for an hours labour.
stormerdan

Post by stormerdan »

cheers for all the advice folks. like the title says though, i ll rock it up somewhere along the way! have a friend whos handy with the spanners so think i ll let him do it if its got fitting instructions.
cheers

Dan
steveb

Post by steveb »

benny hedges wrote:
steveb wrote: There are two alloy hex head covers on the left hand side of your engine, ones an 8mm and the other's 5mm -
:thumbup:

10mm & 6mm iirc

Cheers Benny, amazing how it looks after a few cans!! It's a long way to my garage at the bottom of my garden when beered up!
Happy ridin'
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's