Is it worth it?

General Bike chat
stormerdan

Is it worth it?

Post by stormerdan »

just a query.
The thought of going touring on the bike makes me feel a bit nervy what with the thursty git emptying the tank after about 120 miles ish. so thought id find out how much of an improvement on range i can expect if a swap for a post 01 19 litre tank. ( if i can find one anyway)
cheers.
Dan
steveb

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by steveb »

It's not just a straight swap, they need a bit of panel beating skills to get it on there. If you use the search facility you'll find some threads about it.

On the other hand, having to stop for fuel every 120 miles makes your group / individual have breaks so they can rest a bit, have a stretch and most importantly keep hydrated - so not all bad.

I'm going away to Europe later this year and we decided my bike having the limited range was a good thing for a group - the leader (a very seasoned abroad motorcyclist tourer / adventurer) is on a BMW 1200RT which has a phenonminal tank range and he said even if my bike had a longer range he'd have wanted to stop every 120 or so to ensure the group do all of the above.

HTH

Steve
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------
stormerdan

Post by stormerdan »

thanks for the info guys.
bearing all that in mind i reckon i ll stick with what i have, as they aint cheap and it doesnt look as though theres much to gain from it.

and steve youre absolutely right to be fair!
Dan.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

it doesnt look as though theres much to gain from it.
It was always only to be 3 litres, so 120 miles/16*19= 142.5 miles.

I now tour on the TDM 20 litres @ 55mpg = 242 miles range!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

most ive filled up was 18.5 litres, which was cutting it fine lol!
that was 212 miles from brimmed with the bike upright (MAKES A DIFFERENCE)
caning the butt off it though i can still empty it in 120 miles.

to fit a 19L tank to a 16L bike, you will need to use the older tank's fuel sensor and also fit a tee to feed the 2 fuel pipes as there's only one outlet on the 19L tank.
oh, and cap off the vacuum line as the 19L fuel tap doesnt have a vac diaphragm in it, in fact it's not a tap at all, just a valve.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

After the ride out last year, any longer than 120 miles(1 hour driving at Benny's speed) I would look like I have been buggered by a big black man.

So I am happy that you cant go 240 miles, and guys I go out with that can do over 200 miles don't say it but I can see it in their eyes and the way they walk; they are happy they have to stop for me.
playerone

Post by playerone »

The most I've had out a 19l tankful down to flashing bar is just over 120 miles....must need to slow down a bit :twisted:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

FirestormMike wrote:I have a feeling Bennys clocks are showing Km instead of Miles. 212km = 130 miles, which is just about on the money with what everyone else is getting. 19L = 4.1 Gallons, which equates to 31mpg. 212 miles would need a constant 51mpg. On a tuned storm ? no way, especially hooning about.
Plus, that is assuming you got a full 19 litres in, and used every last drop.
Ha! You'd worked it out and came up with baldrocks too!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

Ive got a later storm with the 19l tank, mine hits the reserve ( on not flashing ) at somewhere between 100 -120 miles depending on how I ride it, but I have never got more than 12l in it. I reckon its a combination of a large reserve and Honda being a little creative with the capacity claims.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

No, no, no, no, no, NO. Not another wombles boring "this is how far I get on a tank" discussion. I'm nipping this in the bud right now. Second only to boring "this is how much I pay for insurance" threads.
Rich.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cupasoop wrote:No, no, no, no, no, NO. Not another wombles boring "this is how far I get on a tank" discussion. I'm nipping this in the bud right now. Second only to boring "this is how much I pay for insurance" threads.
Too right, lets change the subject!

So What colour is yours and it it faster than the red one?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

WHOA THERE....Sorry Mike i don't believe you have your figures right there,everybody knows a round trip to the moon is approximately 442662 miles.guess you used more than 3/4 of a tank,everything else is fine.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Sorry Timbo, Got to take issue with you over the return distance to the moon,I clocked it on my Triumph Cub (in the sixties before Neil & Buzz arrived) and the speedo was pretty accurate, :thumbup:
tonyf

Post by tonyf »

Tim

Was it an SS50 4 or 5 speed.... If it was the 5 speed, I know you're telling porkies as 1st gear typically disintegrated before you left the Earth's atmosphere....
The order of Peds and distances that they would make are as follows:

SS50-4 speed Moon and back twice.
AP50 Moon and Back
Puch MS50 / VZ50 - Frame disintegrates into rust three-quarters of the way
Puch Maxi - one way trip due to pedalling most of the way
Fizzy - siezes up and disintegrates 50 yards from your shed as they are just $hit

OMG... I think I need another ped....

Tone
vtwin

Post by vtwin »

you missed out the Tomos, £199 from my mates mums catalogue, I think shes still paying for it !