HELLO BOYS - I'M BACK AS WELL

General Bike chat
Seeker 77

Re: HELLO BOYS - I'M BACK AS WELL

Post by Seeker 77 »

Ey up John, how's tricks? Looks like we are all heading back to our roots! Enjoy it buddy and hopefully you can find some cans and a PC3 to sell to me :D
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi Mellis

Nice to hear from you.

PC is definately on the cards at some point, but need to put it back into road trim and get an MOT first.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

mellis wrote: a PC3 to sell to me :D
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

OOPS! :oops:

Beer and keyboards never mix well!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jaglifter wrote:Sirch

The Velo is a 1948 KSS - 350cc overhead camshaft - rigid frame. Had one when I was 18 or so and always regretted selling it (as you do). So bought one a few years ago and refurbished it. Currently building another, plus nearly finished a Velocette Valiant (200cc air cooled shaft drive flat twin).

The Daytona is an awsome bike (overworked word I know). On the road its the fastest bike I've ridden, very light and more powerful than I thought it would be. However its very tall and I have difficulty adjusting to it after the Velo, which is very low and has bugger all power by comparison. Also my son insists on fitting it with Dragon Supercoursas (or somesuch) which are very expensive and last about 1000 miles and I feel bad about flattening 'em by riding to Derby and back!!

That said, I find the SP easier to ride and more comfortable, plus its a vee twin!!

Given I'm now 62 (soon to be 63) I'm thinking I need to fill my boots before I'm too old for anything more exciting than a mobility scooter.
John, very interesting too hear about the Velo's, although I'm not too sure a rigid back end would be for me now. There's something special about the sound of an old British bike, completely different from todays modern bikes. How do you get on finding spares for these classic bikes :?: or is it a case of, what you can't get you have to make :wink:

So the Triumph 675 is really good. I've often wondered about these bikes as I do like the look of them. I know they sound nice but that's about it :)
I see what you mean about your son's choice of tyres :lol:

Chris.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi Sirch

Velo stuff is getting ridiculously expensive, although there isn't much you can't get if you're patient and prepared to pay whatever to get it! I do make stuff if I can. Luckily I now have a fair stock of stuff. Keep saying I'm going to sell some of it but............

Although the rigid frame can be a bit "butt jarring" at times it is very light and handles well, given that max power is in the region of 30bhp!! Modern tyres help a great deal. Next time we have a get together I'll bring it along, if its not too far - things start to drop off after a couple of hundred miles if you don't keep tightening 'em up.

Must admit I've not been anywhere near workshop or bikes for the past few days, its just too dam cold - even in Swindon.

Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jaglifter wrote:Hi Sirch

Velo stuff is getting ridiculously expensive, although there isn't much you can't get if you're patient and prepared to pay whatever to get it! I do make stuff if I can. Luckily I now have a fair stock of stuff. Keep saying I'm going to sell some of it but............

Although the rigid frame can be a bit "butt jarring" at times it is very light and handles well, given that max power is in the region of 30bhp!! Modern tyres help a great deal. Next time we have a get together I'll bring it along, if its not too far - things start to drop off after a couple of hundred miles if you don't keep tightening 'em up.

Must admit I've not been anywhere near workshop or bikes for the past few days, its just too dam cold - even in Swindon.

Cheers
Hi John,
I guessed spares for the Velo's would be expensive now as with most old British stuff, but suprised too hear you can still get most things with patients. That's pretty good I'd say considering the bikes age.

I know what you mean about things need regular checking for tightness, as I my old British bikes (mainly Triumph 650 pre-units and Tritons) were the same. I think the vibration has something to do with that :wink:

A good point about the rigid frame not being so bad with the bhp the Velo makes. Still not convinced I'd want a rigid job though :lol:

Yes, modern tyres are a lot better for sure. I bet you remember the old square type rear tyres, it was surprising the bikes handled as well as the did with them fitted.

I think workshops should have heating fitted as a standard compulsory item :wink: Mine hasn't got any heating yet either :problem:

Chris.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi Sirch

My garage(s) don't have heating either. Thought about putting in one of those wood burning jobbies from Machine Mart, but decided I'd probably end up launching everything (including the whole village) into outer space!

Yep i remember the old flat tyres, with a bit of a chamfer on the edges - awful! I've got the TT100s on the velo - these are based on the ones used by some geezer in the 60/70s lapping the TT at 100mph on a Triumph (Bonny I think). In the late 60's we used to race on the Dunlop Triangular things. These were great once you had them down and into the corner, but a nightmare when partially leaned over.

God help me.......I watched one of them old Corrie episodes on tele the other night, where the old chap was fixing a bike puncture in the lounge/front room. I can remember my Dad being allowed to do the same. NO CHANCE for me though!

[I'm rambling again!]

Cheers.....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

well in that case Image

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :sick: :oops:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jaglifter wrote:Hi Sirch

My garage(s) don't have heating either. Thought about putting in one of those wood burning jobbies from Machine Mart, but decided I'd probably end up launching everything (including the whole village) into outer space!

Yep i remember the old flat tyres, with a bit of a chamfer on the edges - awful! I've got the TT100s on the velo - these are based on the ones used by some geezer in the 60/70s lapping the TT at 100mph on a Triumph (Bonny I think). In the late 60's we used to race on the Dunlop Triangular things. These were great once you had them down and into the corner, but a nightmare when partially leaned over.

God help me.......I watched one of them old Corrie episodes on tele the other night, where the old chap was fixing a bike puncture in the lounge/front room. I can remember my Dad being allowed to do the same. NO CHANCE for me though!

[I'm rambling again!]

Cheers.....
Hi John,
I looked into fitting a wood burning stove in my workshop too, a small pot belly type. I found out the flue was going to cost as much as the stove :oops: so I left it there :(

Yeah I think you're right, those square section tyres did have a bit of a chamfer on the edges now that you mention it.
Dunlop TT100's were what I fitted to my Tritons.

I have a vague feeling I've seen those Dunlop Triangular tyres before, I've never ridden a bike with them fitted though, nor likely too. They look like you're either upright or right over :lol: So I can imagine anything in between (as you say) would not be very good.

I think plenty of people fixed a bicycle puncture indoors many years ago. Somethings that change are not always for the better :wink:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had them Dunlop triangulars on a cafe racer 250 once, the track versions, as I recall they were great, even in the wet, if you rode with a bit of commitment.
Won them in a raffle in the Kentagon at Brands Hatch one day. They were for race use only, and I had to razor blade the raised letters saying that off the sidewalls and tyre lacquer them back to a smooth finish.
Worked just fine.

No trouble getting to the flat part of the tyre, as soon as you leant it over a bit it would just slide out from under you until it gripped.
Serious knee on deck action, I used to love going round the outside of my mates on roundabouts, ten or twenty degrees of lean more than they could manage!

Although wearing only jeans back then, I'd try not to get my knee down too often.

I recall that when I fitted them I had to shorten the rear brake lever and move it higher because it kept trying to lever the bike back up again, and on the other side fit a shorter gear change lever to give me a chance of getting to it when at an angle.

Not sure they'd suit a Storm, though.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Thats the ones. The Velo would just drop into a corner, even though it had (has) fairly "slow" geometry. These tyres used to last a whole season (well they did me anyway). In terms of grip they probably weren't as good as your average sports tyre today.

Anyway, I've now got all the bits I need to get the SP back into road trim, so just waiting for it to stop freezing for long enough to get out into the garage :)
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

And pictures :)
SP1's rock!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

First attempt at a picture.................

An early pic of the Velo KSS:
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Now that i think I've got the hang of it............. here's one of the death of my old SP (ins co wrote it off):