Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I don't normally post these alerts but got a call from 02535617911 despite subscribing to TPS. Funny as I've got a mac!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ju ... ll-centres

Britons targeted by cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft phoning to fix a fake computer problem
The scam always starts the same way: the phone rings at someone's home, and the caller – usually with an Indian accent – asks for the householder, quoting their name and address before saying "I'm calling for Microsoft. We've had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer."

Dire forecasts are made that if the problem is not solved, the computer will become unusable.

The puzzled owner is then directed to their computer, and asked to open a program called "Windows Event Viewer". Its contents are, to the average user, worrying: they look like a long list of errors, some labelled "critical". "Yes, that's it," says the caller. "Now let me guide you through the steps to fixing it."

The computer owner is directed to a website and told to download a program that hands over remote control of the computer, and the caller "installs" various "fixes" for the problem. And then it's time to pay a fee: £185 for a "subscription" to the "preventative service".

The only catch: there was never anything wrong with the computer, the caller is not working for Microsoft or the internet service provider, and the owner has given a complete stranger access to every piece of data on their machine.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Re: Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India

Post by benny hedges »

tps is bollox if you ask me - since i subscribed to it ive been getting more bogus calls than ever - i'm sure it's another scam site to get mailing lists & fone numbers.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

I had exactly this the other day, hmmmmmmmmm
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes I had that hoax about 6 months ago, quite spooky as the computer had just booted up when he called, so there must be some link to the ISP................took him all they way to the end bit where he checks to see if your warranty with microsft is run out then he trys to send you to a linked site to upgrade.............asked him for his name and number so I could do some checks and call him back...........with supreme conviction he asks "have you got a pen", starts to give a number then the phone goes dead.

He was very convincing and focused on how he wanted the scam to go, no mater what questions I threw at him..............easy to see how it works on some people.
AMcQ
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

TPS doesn't have any jurisdiction overseas. If "International" comes up on caller recognition I just ignore it.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tonyf

Post by tonyf »

I had the same one - he stated "we're the inventor of windows". So I asked "so yo'ure Microsoft?" - he stated "No", so I took the pi$$ for a few sentences until I got bored and then called him a lying clunge and hung up... :D