New battery

General Bike chat
chi kung

New battery

Post by chi kung »

My bike wouldn't start this morning flat battery. One cell is down so ordered a new one.

Instead of the STD battery i went for the gel upgrade. Has anyone tried these? They are meant to last longer and give more oomph
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Re: New battery

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

Yes they are better, good winter battery if you use grips, lights, and electrical tummy tickling tool.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i tried a gel battery on my cbx750 and tbh it was shite lol... ended up putting a acid one back on.
it wouldnt fully charge from day one.
the cbx has a voltmeter in the dash and i rarely saw it over 12v with the gel battery, with the new acid jobby it reads 13-14v
only thing id say theyre better for is if you wheelie a lot, drop the bike a lot or on crossers etc, anything where the acid could spill
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

There is a proviso that you must fully charge it before 1st use..............or you get marginal voltage as said above :D
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

Charge 'im up and not on a 4amps RMS charger and if you do, only once. A battery is almost like a living cell, keep it excercised or is that ostracised or circ... No a trickle charge only.

Best charge is your bikes three phase charge from the alternator. Only one phase out of the power point to your home charger.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

vtrstarved wrote:
Best charge is your bikes three phase charge from the alternator. Only one phase out of the power point to your home charger.
Only one phase out of your bikes regulator too. Best rethink that one :wink:
Oh' and a lower voltage will mean a higher current as the load is a constant. And everybody knows it current which charges a battery and not volts :think:

You guys crack me up :crazy:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VeeTeeArrrrrrr

Post by VeeTeeArrrrrrr »

isnt DC half phase? Star Trek "phasers" are indeed I am told 2x quarter phase equalling half phase, as multiplying the 2 quarter phases is better than a single phase half phase..... :wtf:
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

VeeTeeArrrrrrr wrote:isnt DC half phase? Star Trek "phasers" are indeed I am told 2x quarter phase equalling half phase, as multiplying the 2 quarter phases is better than a single phase half phase..... :wtf:
But what if they're set to STUN :Argue 1: :lol: :lol:
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Me mate's Fazer was only half phase, because it had duff plugs on two cylinders.

Didn't faze him none, though, rode it anyway.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chi kung, which make gel battery have you gone for out of interest :?:

Chris.
chi kung

New battery

Post by chi kung »

I think it was a dynavolt. Never heard of them but a mate said they re good. I use a 12 volt gel battery for my model airplanes and can confirm they are better than the acid type.

I should be receiving it tomorrow so will update then.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chi kung wrote:I think it was a dynavolt. Never heard of them but a mate said they re good. I use a 12 volt gel battery for my model airplanes and can confirm they are better than the acid type.

I should be receiving it tomorrow so will update then.
I've heard of them, but don't know very much about them.

Please do let us know what it's like,

Chris.
chi kung

New battery

Post by chi kung »

Battery came this morning. Instructions said if the voltage is above 12.5 then do not charge before use. Put it on the bike and it started just fine.

Seems to turn the bike over much better than my old one. But the old one was knackered. Anyway seems good for the money £45.

Will update if I get any issues.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chi kung wrote:Battery came this morning. Instructions said if the voltage is above 12.5 then do not charge before use. Put it on the bike and it started just fine.

Seems to turn the bike over much better than my old one. But the old one was knackered. Anyway seems good for the money £45.

Will update if I get any issues.
So far so good then :thumbup: Cheers for the update.

Chris.