vtrstarved downunder

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
vtrstarved

vtrstarved downunder

Post by vtrstarved »

Gyday All,

Great site you have here and yes I am an Aussie!

I have a 2002 Firestorm which has been off the road since 2006, having gone nowhere it has suffered. After searching this web site high and low it has been so very helpfull!!!

Convinced me to not be afraid of that "Ghost in the machine" and I have had the carbs off, cleaned 'em and carefully fit back on. There was no idle and ran like crabb.

Now running ok and has passed for registration.

Good to have a decent idle and it did surprise me how important an idle is, not so much on the track but on the street it made for very interesting riding technique.

The carbs need a good ol' fashioned balance now as there is much back firing on gear change down.

So that is the next project and I really have to say thank you to all the people who have contributed to this forum of much helpful information!
marravtr

Re: vtrstarved downunder

Post by marravtr »

G'DAY COBBER :biggrin welcome to the site mate, get some piccys of the bike up :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Backfire may not be entirely down to carbs out of balance; check exhaust seals and gaskets as well.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

chances are if the carbs have been off it will be air leaks around the carb rubbers.
doesn't take much, and imo you can't get them tight enough with a x head screwy.
try a 1/4 drive 8mm socket on a long extension - works for me. :thumbup:

another cause (as well as loose link pipes like tony said) is if the breather pipes under the airbox aren't on securely - it will draw air in and crouton up the mixture...
most probably the 12mm pipe on the front cylinder, next to the cam cover breather fat rubber pipe.
done it meself & wondered wtf the noise was. :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated, I will check the plumbing :oops: for the carbs and air box etc. It does make sense that there is a breather pipe or connection not quite right as I was carefull to get the mixture screws back to the position they were at when the carbs first came off. From memory, 1 and 7/8 turns out for the front and 1 and 2/3 for the rear.

Mind you the carb inlet rubbers were loose when I took the carbs off and the bike has only done 3000 kms, and mostly on track days.[img][/img]

Iam not sure if that pic of bike has worked.
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

Here is another try at posting a picture

vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

Maybe bigger???

[img][IMG]http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l63 ... 0_0003.jpg[/img][/img]
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

vtrstarved wrote:Maybe bigger???

Image[/img]
one too many Image

nice shiny bike :thumbup:
tail needs cutting down tho - easy to do with a dremel.
& what tyres are they??? they look like the standard ones to me?
might not have done many km but they will be old!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

You are onto it, they are the old tyres that came with the bike when I bought it new back in December 2002. When it was new I was not real impressed with the original tyres and they came off for some better suited for track days, I kept the old ones and was going to reuse them at some stage. I was ofcourse kidding myself and have just today had some METZELER M1 Steet/Track spec tyres put on. I am a bit out of touch with what is the go at the moas last time bike was registered was back in 2006, So I hope the new METZ are going to be ok.

I still gotta sort the backfiring out after refitting the carbs, starting with what you gents have suggested - CHECK FOR LEAKS!

I am thinking of taking Friday off from work to wrestle with bike, atleast get it registered as it has passed road worthy inspection and have got the insurance already.....YEEHAAA!!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

G'day V/S and welcome aboard :thumbup:

I like that colour blue, it looks a tidy bike :D

Chris.
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

I always liked the yellow VTRs and I see you guys in the UK have a full fairing where only a half here in Aus, what gives ..

Do you guys make 'em? They look cool!

Am going to pull tank and air box and maybe carbs to check for air leaks, have balance kit and not afraid to use it. Bike is still making lot of backfire on change down, only below 4000RPM. Shift higher than 4000RPM no backfire above 4000RPM.

That is, keep the motor running above 4000RPM and all is good, but not that easy on the street if one must behave like a civilised human being.

Should I start 'nuther thread and try to do carb wrestle with pics? Have just got computer back from IT and no plug ins but can get thet up an running :Argue:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome vtrstarved..............nice looking bike/

on the UK bikes, I like yellow as well! :D

The UK bikes have same 1/2 fairing as yours, the ones you see with full fairing have aftermarket lowers added.

I have a Moriwaki replica belly pan on mine which is not mated with the upper fairing, as that is the look I like, but there are other products which are designed to merge with the lines of the Honda uppers, and that is what you see in some of the other pictures.

If you have a good look in the "pimp your ride" you will see a wide range of options
AMcQ
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i had a pyramid bellypan on mine, best looking one imo, mine to was yellow :biggrin (the fastest colour)

i want her back!!!

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

marravtr wrote:i had a pyramid bellypan on mine, best looking one imo, mine to was yellow :biggrin (the fastest colour)

i want her back!!!

OK, as long as I get her front......
Last edited by tony.mon on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrstarved

Post by vtrstarved »

Ye the yellow is great, nice work with those rims!!!!!!!!