off the clock!

General Biker Banter
benny hedges

off the clock!

Post by benny hedges »

first time tonight, head down (on a private closed road o/c) feet on back pegs lol, got it off the clock, past the 180 mark lol!!!
wasn't a one off either, wound it up a few times and bang, straight past 170 lol

now before anyone says b/s, i know the clocks aren't exaxtly accurate, but fook me it was shifting :biggrin
reckon it was touching a gen 160 easy.
i'll get my go pro back when i cba and post a vid lol, no way i was taking one hand off to take a pic!

anyone else got it there yet?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Kev L

Re: off the clock!

Post by Kev L »

Nicely done young man. Beware if 5 O get a bead on you though. That would be a little time away, being afraid to pick the soap up in the showers! :roll:

What model have you got, SP1 or 2? (and which colour is it, as I have noticed even in my short time on the forum that the colour is the deciding factor in the top speed stakes) :wink:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

dont wory he tends to blend in with the police, lol, its a white storm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: On standard everything, ive had 160 on my speedo. :roll:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Your Storm goes well..........If I hold the SP open for 5 miles on the flat with no headwind and head to the tank 160 is possible, 150 is easy but after that the gearing is all wrong. The same private road saw my RR8 Blade rip to 169mph (that was flat out as well).
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Kev L wrote:Nicely done young man. Beware if 5 O get a bead on you though. That would be a little time away, being afraid to pick the soap up in the showers! :roll:

What model have you got, SP1 or 2?
was a little concerned about overtaking an unmarked plod tbh as ive seen a few on that stretch...
(although, with it being a private road like..... )

get caught on the road at that speed it's a ban & 6mths lol - we all know the risks!

and that's the point - its not an sp, it's just a firestorm with a few engine mods :biggrin

not raced vs an sp yet and i reckon they'd leave me for dead on accel, but the top end on this is scary tbh lol, closest ive been to this was on a old z1300 kwak years ago.
sat up it reaches indicated 165 easy, head down, lately as said, it goes bonkers! :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yeh the SP is only pushing out about 140bhp but the Blade was nudging 170bhp. Once you get up past 155 its hard going, I am not saying your bike doesnt do 170mph I am just stating the facts. My friends Busa took some time before it could get past the blade but it did and by some margin but this is a very, very long stretch of private airfield (might know it if you fly , it ends at the Humber Bridge :lol: )
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The only answer is to seek out members of the local constabulary, in a less "off road" enviroment, and get them to take your picture. You can then prove the point of your immense speed to the satisfaction of all nay sayers. Of course the resulting prison sentence and attention of large, female attention deprived, psychotic or just plain bad ass gays will result in a pained expression and inability to sit on anything for some considerable time, including Storms!! 8O

So chaps, what do we think of the progression of this fine country into a nanny state where everyone is wrapped in bubble wrap and no one is allowed to injure themselves (and if they do there is always someone to blame and claim from). Speed is now receiving the same attention and has become a social pariah in a way that was once reserved for Drink driving.
Whilst excess drink will have a negative effect on the operator, speed when used in moderation and in the correct circumstances gives the human body what it needs. We are not designed to be wrapped in cotton wool, we are hunter gatherers for christ sake. Fetch me my club woman, I need to slaughter a mammoth :D
Sorry went a little off track there. So what are your views on the present climate around speeding?
:beer:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

laws need reviewing imo.
70 is a ridiculously low speed for mways and dual carriageways - 40 roads should be 70 imo.
those limits were set when ford anglias ruled the road...before abs, traction control, radial tyres etc

id rather see more realistic limits on major roads and motorways along with 20mph on housing estates, near schools etc.
speed humps and rumble lines on the road should be removed as they are a hazard to bikes, not just because they offer zero grip, but because oncoming cars swerve to avoid them.

tbh, on the mways, no self respecting plod is going to pull you for doing 80ish, unless you're driving / riding like a rock.
while i welcome the removal of speed cameras, gatsos and other permanent cameras, i cant help fear this will be replaced with private companies setting up and doing the dirty work.
make no mistake - they won't be letting people off if it's their business to issue tickets.

they'll be all over the place, using every trick in the book to catch unsuspecting speeders, over hills, round blind corners etc, stuff that plod wouldnt get away with now imo....h
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Not an unreasonable argument, I would suggest. The only reason for the demise of some GATSO equipment is the greed of central Government over local councils. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the near future.

What are your views on riding kit? Is it better to ride with minimal kit, thereby encouraging safe, careful riding or wear all the kit, generating a feeling of immortality?
Playing Devils advocate a little here. I wear Arai, leathers etc etc, but I can see the other side. Just seen too many knocks which had nothing to do with the rider and therefore caused a lot of injuries which were probably avoidable.
Back in the day I commuted my GT250M in jeans, doc martins, harrington jkt etc with no ill effect, now more aware of my mortality and I know I don't bounce like I used to!
sepia

Post by sepia »

ive found that my storm only runs smooth @ 90+.ive had up to 125/30 but just a wee bit scared to go anymore after my zzr600 going bang.it was a old bike,always in the back of my mind something will let go.never seem to get the storm over 7/8,000 revs in any gear,is that norm for a standard.

lot of roads in aberdeen are @ 20 limit with all the schools.try telling the cops that the bike cant go @ anything under that.saying that once new 15tooth on it will be ok @ slow speeds.

off topic but im getting so pissed off with the state of the roads up here.after that 3months of ice & snow in dec,jan & feb.we have so many pot holes & sinking roads it is out of order.i could be nasty & make a claim with the council every other day but i would rather have level roads.is it the same over the country.

steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

m8 i wont even go the jetwash without leathers on.
spent far too much time sliding on my butt and bouncing off cars and fences etc!
all denim is good for is soaking up blood!
same as you tho, i used to ride in jeans & trainers... and i know what you mean, seems to take longer to heal these days lol - still got sore ribs and thigh from the end of march and that was a relatively low speed off.

i remember the petitions and mass rides when helmets were made compulsory but i wouldnt ride without one myself...
and the way MAG defeated the thatcher govt over us wearing flashing lights on our lids!!!

i think it was karl marx who said, the best government is one that does not govern the people.

re the potholes - some may know it was potholes that wrote my bike off in march... months after the 'bad winter'
for roads to Still be in a bad state is imo totally unacceptable.
councils have had more than enough time to sort this but as usual would rather buy carbon computer chairs for their offices and set up blind lesbian morris dancing clubs, rehouse immigrants etc than real priorities.
makes my piss boil it does. :Argue 1:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Certainly around Hertfordshire (Gods country!!!) the back roads, non motorway/dual carriageways are still bad with very little apparent investment in improvement. Still I am sure the Government will jump in with some of the revenue acquired from speeding fines, RFL's, petrol taxation etc to improve the situation. Yeah of course.
Did you know the word naive isn't in the latest edition of the OED?

Now I am in my fifties I love being allowed to be a grumpy old git and moan about everything.
sepia

Post by sepia »

sorry benny didnt know you wrote your bike off this way.

we spent thousands up here using a stupid hose thing that splats tar into the holes & 2 days later its back to the way it was.that surley cant be good for the carbon footprint.also with all the internet,sky etc cables gettin layed the holes are getting re filled/tared from sub contracters witch = sub standard repair work.

up here all there worried about is to try & stop bikers getting killed on the country roads.fair enough but roads with holes everywhere aint gonna help.we still have sand in the middle & @ sides of roads from winter time.i spend half my time watching the roads when should be watching other motorists.eyes on the back of my head,i need both pairs on the front.

maybe i need a road legal quad bike,lol.

steve.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sepia wrote:i spend half my time watching the roads when should be watching other motorists.eyes on the back of my head,i need both pairs on the front.
i do that a lot now & don't take half as many chances as i used to...
definately knocked my confidence cos there was crouton all i could do to avoid it lol...
another bad thing is where thay've resurfaced the roads one lane at a time to keep the road open... now there's a deep tear between the 2 lanes which is absolute murded when filtering & overtaking if you get your tyre in it.
also i hate cold planed roads with grids left sticking up! and the cheapo option of spraying tar & loose chippings...
face it, english roads are fkin shite.
take a lesson from the taffs - almost every major road in wales has been resurfaced recently and i haven't found a single one to be unrideable cos of potholes etc...
great fun - and with their new more relaxed attitude to bikers, makes wales an ideal destination for a good blast :thumbup:
favourites for me are a494, a483, a487 bala ruthin dolgellau, machynlleth etc down toward aberystwyth then off to devils bridge (the welsh one) - amazing place and superb run out imo... very fast roads and a fraction of the traffic you'd get in england.
sepia

Post by sepia »

we have alot of that lines/grooves aswell.

thought wales was worst place for cops doing speeders.

was in amlwch nae long ago for soul music allnighter in a car not bike.staying @ a hotel.told manager we was travling to broughton for a few hours for a early soul nite & then back to amlwch.all he said watch your speed going there & back as cops are worst in the country here.

didnt the chief of police in north wales who was the worst for doing speeders get caught for speeding himself,ironic.

steve.