battery drain

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fog356

battery drain

Post by fog356 »

Hi have just bought vtr 1000, had new battery put in it when I picked it up. Rode it 97 miles home last Thursday. Since then have started it a couple of times to hear the wonderful sound, but went to ride it today and the battery was flat. Put it on a charger and after a while, on pressing the starter I got some clicking noises from the rear. The lights would come on but it took a lot longer on for the mileage to show. It has the original type of rectifier on it but I don't know how old it is.
Any ideas please as I just want to get on it and enjoy it.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: battery drain

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Fog,
it's got to be one of two things. Either the battery isn't being charged or the current is leaking away.
Take a voltage reading across the battery when the engine is running and give it a rev up to 5000 rpm, if the voltage stays at about 14 it's getting a charge if it's going over 15v your regulator has has it. If that all okay then you need to do a current check.
Put the meter in series with the pos lead and see if any current is being drawn when the ignition is turned off. If it is then you need to track down either a partial short or maybe an alarm fault if fitted.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Use the NEG lead as there is less chance of a short to frame and big bang!!
Ride Safe
Phil
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Good thinking
or and I haven't looked at the Storm circuit in a while, you could pull the mains fuse and check the current across the terminals. Thats as long as you don't have and ancilleries strapped directly to the battery. If you find leakage put the fuse back in and then do the same to the other fuses until you isolate the circuit which is giving you trouble. Might help speed you on your way and give you an idea where to find the problem

Pete.l
fog356

Post by fog356 »

Hi chaps thanks for your replies. Right have had the new battery on charge over night and this morning. Green fully charged light has not come on. Put multi metre and got a reading of 11.04. Fitted battery in bike and again would not turn over and got the clicking noise from some relay in the tail. Put metre on whilst ignition was on and the reading kept dropping down to about 8, and even the horn would hardly sound. I think I can say the battery has had it. It was a new gel type which has ran the bike for 97 miles and started it about 5 or 6 times, with about a 3 day gap before this current problem.
I have been told by the previous owner that the rectifier (non finned type) is about 6 months old, as he blew a hole in the last one jump starting the bike via a van. He also stated that he has put about 4 batteries in it over the last few years. It does have a Datatool alarm which he never used and neither have I.
Any ideas please
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

If battery only has just over 11 volts when been on charge overnight and morning, either the charger has a fault or the battery, should be reading well over 12 13 or even 14 i reckon, no way its gunna crank a twin over full stop. :(
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Datatool alarm does draw a bit, and will flatten battery but it takes a good few weeks to notice it. i have one on mine. i lways store my vtr on an optimate now, never had to change the battery, even after been stood for 1 1/2 years without starting, so it say it all for the optimates. before i was putting a new battery on after every winter.
fog356

Post by fog356 »

Hi, have done an alternator check on the 3 yellow wires and all seams okay. Have ordered new battery and rectifier so we shall see in a few days. Will keep you posted. If anyone has any other thoughts then please let me know.
balls

Post by balls »

If you are replacing the batt I would go for a 14 amp hr one And a R1 R/R got this on mine and has transformed the starting :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
fog356

Post by fog356 »

Too late mate, already ordered the 12 v, had I read a few more posts then I would have bought the 14. The rectifier is the new genuine honda finned type for £60 so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

I only paid bout 15 guid for an r1 unit from ebay. changed my honda one before it blew, still got it somewhere unless i binned it :lol: :lol:
kevg

Post by kevg »

i had a datatool on mine and the battery would be flat inside a week if i didn't hook it up to the optimate. had it on an optimate from new and the battery lasted 8 years untill i sold the bike and the battery needed changing then....as i couldn't start the bike...DOH!!!
cheerz

kev
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

my optimates paid for itself over and over now :biggrin :biggrin
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Fog said
Hi chaps thanks for your replies. Right have had the new battery on charge over night and this morning. Green fully charged light has not come on. Put multi metre and got a reading of 11.04.
marlbororman wrote:If battery only has just over 11 volts when been on charge overnight and morning, either the charger has a fault or the battery, should be reading well over 12 13 or even 14 i reckon, no way its gunna crank a twin over full stop. :(
Gotta agree there.
Fault new battery? I'd take it back and have it checked.

Pete.l
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Could it be another duff reg/rect thats dried the acid up in the battery by cooking it ???